Author Topic: Carroll Shelby Signature  (Read 1810 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Carroll Shelby Signature
« on: February 06, 2020, 10:20:34 PM »
A few years ago (pre-forum crash), I posted something about how I purchased a 1967 metal backed Shelby hood from Brian Styles, the owner of car no. 139, the only convertible for that year.  Brian offered to sell me the hood to install on my car at the time, no. 83, a nightmist GT350.  The hood was the one that came off 139 while it sat in the Volo museum, just prior to Brian's restoration and stewardship of the car.  He had procured another, better fitting hood that was utilized during it's final restoration to it's current '67 livery.

http://www.1967shelbyconvertible.com

What was interesting was that all of the time that I had negotiated a price, paid for, and received said hood, he never mentioned it had a huge Carroll Shelby signature scrawled across it's top side in permeant marker.  It wasn't until I opened it from it's shipping crate that I realized I had a dilemma on my hands, did I preserve the hood and signature as it was and hang it on a wall and go about finding another metal backed hood, or just install it and paint it to match the nightmist color of no. 83?  When I called Brian and first asked if indeed it was real, and not just him 'screwing with me' and scribbling something on it knowing I was going to paint it anyway, his answer to me was, "Don't sweat it, he signed everything.  I think he would have signed a toilet seat if you asked him to."

https://imageshack.com/a/9iOl/1

Well, today my friend Lowell, the steward of V738-2, shared with me a photo he found in a Mustang book written by Jerry Heasley documenting the entire event.  Stories like these are what make this hobby so much fun to me.  I thought I'd share.    I sent the picture to Ryan, the current owner of no. 83.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Carroll Shelby Signature
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 01:43:27 AM »
I don't remember now, but I take it you did repaint it and installed it on 83?

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Re: Carroll Shelby Signature
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 08:20:41 AM »
Absolutely Michael.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative