News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Late model Shelby’s

Started by Rex, March 02, 2018, 12:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex

Question for the crowd. I have a 2010 GT500 I bought new with 17,000 miles. Had lots of fun with it but only drove it 1000 miles last year. I have been toying with selling it the last two years so I have been giving myself lots of time so I don't regret the decision. I am struggling somewhat today looking at it. My question is where do you all think the values of these will end up? I know they will never be like the old ones. I have a 67 GT 500 and 70 Boss 302 as well, so I won't be a total empty nester. Will they keep sliding down like any car does or will they flatten out at some point because it is a special halo car? Don't have to sell it I just thought if it is going go down to nothingness, maybe I better recoup some money while it's worth something. Thanks for you input in advance!

jguyer

I think you should wait and trade it in for a new 2019/2020 GT500. :)
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

Rex

CSX 4133

98SVT - was 06GT

I wouldn't consider them a halo car. That's reserved for the Ford GT type cars that manufacturers build to show their skills and lose money on each one. The GT500 is a top of the line Mustang. They built far too many of them so they will never garner the big collector dollars. They will keep going down in value but still be worth more than a regular GT. A low mileage one in 20 years will command a premium but in 20 years will you be able to even buy gas for it? Bottom line keep it in the stable to beat up on saving your collector cars from abuse and mileage.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bigfoot

I would enjoy it or punt it.
That said wouldn't u rather be driving the older stuff?
If so
Then,..you have ur answer.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Rex

Quote from: Bigfoot on March 02, 2018, 04:37:33 PM
If so

Yes, the older stuff is great fun when people see them driving down the road. Honks, thumbs up etc. The new ones are nice for AC, stereo, trouble free driving and longer distances.

FL SAAC

would be a consideration

Quote from: jguyer on March 02, 2018, 12:55:47 PM
I think you should wait and trade it in for a new 2019/2020 GT500. :)
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

in my book two different animals, the GT500 (at least ours) will suck up and spit out the new gt350.....around the bends it will be the new 350s edge.....having said that also depends who is driving each car

Quote from: CSX 4133 on March 02, 2018, 02:16:04 PM

Or a GT350R......... 8)

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Quote from: Bigfoot on March 02, 2018, 04:37:33 PM
If so

old or new what in heavens name do i do..............................

I have all UNGOLD cars

I love the s550 (2015 +) when I see them from behind.

I love the s550 from the side.

When I look at the S550 from the front, I throw up in my mouth.

If it is a GT350, I can't even keep it in my mouth. 🤢 Barf.

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on March 02, 2018, 02:17:03 PM
I wouldn't consider them a halo car. That's reserved for the Ford GT type cars that manufacturers build to show their skills and lose money on each one. The GT500 is a top of the line Mustang. They built far too many of them so they will never garner the big collector dollars. They will keep going down in value but still be worth more than a regular GT. A low mileage one in 20 years will command a premium but in 20 years will you be able to even buy gas for it? Bottom line keep it in the stable to beat up on saving your collector cars from abuse and mileage.

Sage advice.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Cobrask8

This is the base argument - debate in the Shelby world. The classics continue to increase in value while the new ones slowly drop. The old cars are basically ending up in collections and locked in garages while the new ones are driven. Most current SAAC members/owners are older, and no linger enjoy driving the old cars, the new ones are much better drivers.

All of this in a conversation with Rick Kopec and myself many, many years ago. He was right way back then, saw the future coming. He even likened SAAC to the Model T club in the future, cars gone, only knowledge traded. If you really think about it, we are not far from that already. Look at our conventions now vs 20 years ago. BIG difference in cars and driving.

So, I'm going to throw in another hot item - SAAC vs Team Shelby. Same thinking as all the previous posts and comments above. different cars, different missions. Many of us are members of both. Many of us have both generations of cars.

lots of good food for thought in this thread

jguyer

The Henry Ford's Greenfield Village gives rides daily in Model-T's, for a fee. I understand the concept of driving one, but not sure I could do it without a lot of mistakes or instructions. I can see SAAC running something like this to show how it was back when cars needed a driver and why you have to keep moving this lever next to you.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

wcode70

To answer your question "where do you think the values are going", I think it depends on the model year of the newer cars.  I belong to the 26K member fordgt500 forum too and based on what I've gathered, there seems to be 3 different factions of enthusiasts for each version of the newer cars, I guess kind of like there seem to be 3 different factions for the early cars.

The 07-09 cars have the die hard group that for whatever reason seem to deplore the newer versions.  I don't pay a lot of attention to that era of cars but I think you can buy them all day long for 25K give or take.  They don't seem to be getting any cheaper but I don't believe they will ever get any more valuable either.  There were too many of them made and their successors are better as they improved as time progressed.

Hope you got thick skin on this one Rex but the 2010 seems to be the red headed step child of the 2010-2012 era due to the 10 having the iron block and heads.  The 2011-12, with aluminum block and heads, seems to be the ones most consider to be the best value and best candidate for modifying as it seems like everyday some newbie is asking should I buy a 12 or step up to the 13/14 with an extra 112 hp over the 10-12.  Of coarse the 13/14 guys usually say just get a 13/14 and save yourself the aggravation of modding while the 11/12 guys will say save your money just mod a 11/12.  I believe the 10-12 will continue to decrease until they bottom out like the 07-09 in the 20's and will likely stay there.

My first foray into the new ones was with a 2012 and I really wish I had just kept it instead of letting HP, that I didn't need, seduce me as the 12 with 550 hp is enough.  Anyway, I had no more than bought the 12 when the 13 and it's 662 hp came along and I figured 10 years from now this 2012 will just be another Shelby while the 13/14 will be the top of the heap and may in fact appreciate at some point.  So I trade off the 12 with only 1200 miles and ate 10K in depreciation just to get a 14 and all that hp. 

The 13/14 does seem to be holding their values better than all the rest and some believe they will bottom out around 40K then start going up from there again at some point and I tend to agree.  Unfortunately for me I have decided to sell my 14 to bring home another car so looks like another 10K hit on depreciation is in store for me, assuming I can get 50K for it since it only has 1800 miles.  Good luck to you but my advice is sell your 2010 now and take your licking as I don't believe any of us will still be around when a 2010 has appreciated back to anything close to sticker price.
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Mustang Sportsroof - W code
1970 Ranchero GT - 429