Author Topic: console overlay  (Read 1121 times)

corbins

• View Profile
console overlay
« on: February 07, 2020, 07:15:47 PM »
Ok, I admit failure. Twice now I have pulled the console and replaced the woodgrain, (sourced from Branda)and in both cases it has lifted in the curve just below the gauges. Last attempt I even set that curve and the rear one first to avoid stretching the decal..
Open to what has worked for others in the past, contact cement maybe ? Its kind of a PITA job to begin with, but I'm certainly willing to try a new technique.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions …. well except sending to some dude in Canada and spending $700 with a maybe 3 month turn around time :)

davez

• View Profile
Re: console overlay
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 09:03:45 PM »
Look up a 3M product called
Primer 94
It's an adhesion promoter we use when wrapping vehicles.
Not sure the brand of vinyl woodgrain decal Branda is selling.
Dz

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 11:30:36 PM »
May I also suggest a heat gun during application. Just don't melt it. Warming it helps with the contours. You may want to use some contact cement as well on the tough irregularities.
                                                                      -Keith

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 07:25:44 AM »
The original material used appears to be the paneling decal material used on Mercury station wagons of the time.

As I recall, it wasn't unusual for it to have bubbles in it after the car sat in the summer sun for the first time.

The fix was to use a "veneer roller" to push it down. In cases where it would reoccur, you would use a veneer glue needle to apply glue through it.

The adhesion improver is supposed to improve the situation but considering this was such a common occurance and the factory had used the "cleaner" to begin with, I wouldn't get to crazy with tearing everything apart to fix this.

Use a hair drier on hot and use the roller before you inject the glue in. You will see the spot and it is not the best solution.

You can also just pull the console apart and just redo the paneling.

It's actually a common occurance.

If you go that route, of course clean the sheetmetal first with laquer thinner. Then apply the adhesion improver. Don't pile it on and all materials need to be around 75 degrees and the air humidity needs to be low like in the desert dry.

You do not want to stretch the paneling in the curve. It needs to bend as naturally as it can.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 08:12:13 AM »
Thanks all !! So at least its not just me :)  I will try to inject some contact adhesive , warm it a bit and re-set that curve. Being a convertible and sitting in the sun a lot probably doesn't help :)