News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ethanol and old carbs

Started by JessC, February 08, 2020, 10:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessC

I'm here in California and I have not had any trouble with our gas and older carbs. I plan to be moving to Tn. in a few years. Is there anything I should do because I have heard horror stories about Ethanol and Old carbs. and fuel lines don't hold up well.
Any advice?
Thanks
Jess

TOBKOB

Yes...Buy pure gasoline available at a lot of stores... I have learned my lesson on this issue. :-[

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

CSX 4133

Quote from: JessC on February 08, 2020, 10:33:01 AM
I'm here in California and I have not had any trouble with our gas and older carbs. I plan to be moving to Tn. in a few years. Is there anything I should do because I have heard horror stories about Ethanol and Old carbs. and fuel lines don't hold up well.
Any advice?
Thanks
Jess

Use this site to locate non ethanol blended fuels, for me I have no problem finding pure gas here in TN.

https://www.pure-gas.org

Drew Pojedinec

I've never had an issue.
I only own two cars, one is a 63 Galaxie.
The other is my daily driver, a 76 F100 with a 390 engine.

I fire the truck up, drive to the airport. Park it in the lot there for 28 days.
When I come back, I hook up the battery, crank the engine for ten seconds. Work the accelerator pump, and start the engine. It idles for 30 seconds and I drive it 70 miles home to the airport.
This is arguably the worst scenario for a carbureted engine.

I have run E10, and have done this routine now for 12 years. I have yet to have a fuel related issue.

67 GT350

If you are moving to Tennessee, just please be careful of your voting....I love the State the way it is. Thank you! What area are you planning on moving to?
RARE  Signature Delete

roddster

Ethanol and the original type of carb needles don't mix.  Seems the ethanol is hard on the seals.  And, also, the fuel bowls that get eaten through.  So, don't use the 87 octane stuff or any other blend that says "contails 10% ethanol.

Tom Honegger

If you're driving your car regularly the ethanol doesn't present any major issues.
If you store the car in winter or drive it rarely, I would use Stabil (blue bottle)
for the ethanol issues. Also, I used ethanol free premium whenever I could.

Don Johnston

Because of the imported cost o ethanol, the fine print on that E10 label states"up to 10 percent ethanol".  Some independent test I read years ago said it was around  five to six percent at the most.  But I did have some challenges in my fuel system seals, so I upgraded them.  When I can I run ethanol free, which is only available here near boat marinas and is rated  at 89.  So the cars are tuned or it. 8)

NC TRACKRAT

Everyone should be just as concerned about their gasoline powered lawn equipment.  I've learned an expensive lesson and only use non-Ethanol 93 Octane in all my small engines as well as my carbureted vehicles.
5S071, 6S1467

1967 eight barrel

The new Holley Kits come with seals compatible with Ethanol mixed fuel.  However, I wouldn't let it sit over the winter without stabilizer. 
What I have had to do twice is to replace the Marti Autowerks reproduction fuel line. It gets hard as a rock in about 12 months.  It has also caused issues with the
Holley Needle and Seats.
                                                                               -Keith

Drew Pojedinec

The needle and seats themselves are fine being viton tipped.
The oring that seals the needle assembly in it's bore does degrade.
Holley still uses BunaN for that oring. I buy bags of a super soft viton o rings in 008 size. They stand up to years of use and abuse.
Just be careful of hard viton as it'll shrink a lil bit and leak.

Bigfoot

Quote from: Tom Honegger on February 08, 2020, 11:33:18 AM
If you're driving your car regularly the ethanol doesn't present any major issues.
If you store the car in winter or drive it rarely, I would use Stabil (blue bottle)

Tom
What the difference between the blue and red bottle? Is the blue a Marine application?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

FL SAAC

Blue = marine

Blue is concentrated 1 oz to 10 gallons

Good stuff

And the recent Holley rebuild kits and carbs are for ethanol compatible fuels.  Worry about your fuel lines

Quote from: Bigfoot on February 09, 2020, 11:24:42 AM
Quote from: Tom Honegger on February 08, 2020, 11:33:18 AM

Tom
What the difference between the blue and red bottle? Is the blue a Marine application?
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Don Johnston

68blk500c

Harder to find (marine), but I only use "Stor-N-Start"; it is a military-spec, product.