News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

65,66,67 air cleaner ID

Started by hurlbird, February 09, 2020, 08:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

My 68 had its air cleaner stolen in the early days and the original owner put on an earlier Shelby air cleaner. Ive since gotten a proper 68 and will be looking to sell the one I have. Im just not sure what year it is? How might I tell? Thanks

6S1568

The best way is to post a few pictures of the air cleaner here on the site, I'm sure you'll have an expert respond as soon as they see it.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6S1568 on February 09, 2020, 11:09:04 AM
The best way is to post a few pictures of the air cleaner here on the site, I'm sure you'll have an expert respond as soon as they see it.
To add, post top and base pictures. Side profile of lid will help with identification.  Hipo aircleaners have been available for over 30 years.  Besides condition original or non original makes a big differences in value.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

Both sides of the top and base pieces...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

hurlbird

Bob Gaines

Looks genuine. Correct style for 65 Shelby or hipo (with base repaint) ,all of 66 or 67 Shelby with thermactor only (because of base) . Survivor car condition would have to be restored for show. Some have two digit number and letter date codes stamped into base (5A,6A etc.) and some do not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

hurlbird

that's good to hear... what cars came with the thermactor? CA?

I appreciate the insight...

J_Speegle

Quote from: hurlbird on February 09, 2020, 01:38:57 PM
that's good to hear... what cars came with the thermactor? CA?

Since we're "talking" Shelbys the cars VIN would indicate the cars that came with the Thermactor systems

For small blocks (what the air cleaner was for ) the late 67 GT350's originally delivered to California were suppose to have Thermactor systems after mid April 67 according to available documentation. 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

BGlover67

Can you make out a 2 digit date?  It's usually found adjacent to the nipple on the base.  Here is one with the paint stripped away to see the date better:

https://imageshack.com/i/plqJ8IFXj

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

hurlbird

I don't see one. at least not there.....

BGlover67

They do get lost under lots of paint.  That's why I stripped that one to see the date.  Before I did, I could barely make anything out.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

hurlbird

I did some light sanding I don't see anything...

Bossbill

What is a typical price to get the lid re-chromed?

I don't want a repop and I'm wondering what others have paid to have theirs chromed.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bossbill on February 09, 2020, 07:17:55 PM
What is a typical price to get the lid re-chromed?

I've seen shops quote $250-300 for show chrome job not the cheap quick chrome that was factory. Not sure if anyone does that today
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge