News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Carpet Choices

Started by Dalton, February 09, 2020, 09:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalton

What carpet would be the best to put into my 350? My current carpet isn't original and it has some tears and the threading is coming apart in a few areas.

My car is nowhere near concours so I'm just wanting to install something that is good and not necessarily the exact match to the original carpet. I can always change when I decide to do a full restoration (which is years down the road).

ACC Original Style with Mass Back

ACC Essex Molded with Mass Back

ACC Cut Pile Molded with Mass Back

Thanks!

J_Speegle

Quote from: Tusk on February 09, 2020, 09:54:29 AM
What carpet would be the best to put into my 350? My current carpet isn't original and it has some tears and the threading is coming apart in a few areas.

My car is nowhere near concours so I'm just wanting to install something that is good and not necessarily the exact match to the original carpet. I can always change when I decide to do a full restoration (which is years down the road).

Guess the question is - what is "something good"?

Something that will look pretty or plush or hold up better or won't fade as quickly. Lots of choices and opinions if your not focusing on the closest to original IMHO

Years ago when the family still owned ACC I built a modified car and had them put Cadillac carpet material in the Mustang press of a slight extra charge.                           Did the same thing with the headliner supplier

With a little more input and guidance we may be able to offer some ideas/opinions
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bossbill

Just to offer ALL of the choices, what's the best concours carpet?
I don't mean NOS original, as that's just a unicorn.
Looking for the closest I can get to original [concours trailered].
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

rbarkley

I went with the first choice you listed - ACC Carpet Original Style Molded With Mass Back Fastback 1965-1968.  Additionally, I purchased the fold down 3 pcs.
$179.95 for the carpet and $64.95 for the 3 pcs at John's Mustang in Houston.

Since my car is going to be a driver, I hope to minimize the heat and noise somewhat so I added first Dynamat, then Dynaliner, Underlayment, and then the carpet.  Fit is not bad.

Ron

The second choice has a higher fiber count than the first choice?

Seems that is the only difference..... if I am reading that correctly.

TedS

If I read the links correctly option 1 is loop pile
Options 2 and 3 are cut pile.
Wouldn't that make op 1 look more like original
OP 2 and 3 would look more like "modern" cars.

JD

Quote from: TedS on February 09, 2020, 07:38:33 PM
If I read the links correctly option 1 is loop pile
Options 2 and 3 are cut pile.
Wouldn't that make op 1 look more like original
OP 2 and 3 would look more like "modern" cars.

Yes, 1 is most correct and also the cheapest.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Dalton

Quote from: rbarkley on February 09, 2020, 07:14:19 PM
I went with the first choice you listed - ACC Carpet Original Style Molded With Mass Back Fastback 1965-1968.  Additionally, I purchased the fold down 3 pcs.
$179.95 for the carpet and $64.95 for the 3 pcs at John's Mustang in Houston.

Since my car is going to be a driver, I hope to minimize the heat and noise somewhat so I added first Dynamat, then Dynaliner, Underlayment, and then the carpet.  Fit is not bad.

Ron

Ron,

How does it feel with the Dynamat underneath? Do you feel like it is too many layers or does it feel ok?

I have a complete ACC Mass Back Carpet with rear deck carpet in black, new in the box, that I won't be using if you are interested. PM me if interested. I'll give you a great price but I'm not sure what shipping would cost from IL.

rbarkley

Dynamat and DynlLiner fit very nicely.  I used the 1/8" dynaliner.  I think it helps to have the molded carpet so that all fits and aligns properly.  No idea how well it works as I have not started the car yet!

CharlesTurner

Quote from: 1690 on February 10, 2020, 12:05:14 AM
I have a complete ACC Mass Back Carpet with rear deck carpet in black, new in the box, that I won't be using if you are interested. PM me if interested. I'll give you a great price but I'm not sure what shipping would cost from IL.

Is the fold down carpet mass-back also?  I'd guess it would be difficult to get the side moldings to fit correctly with the extra thickness.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

roddster

Additional question:  OK, I'm trying to build a tribute to Lil'red.  So, the literature I've read said it had "Multoon (?) pile carpeting.  Who do I see for that?  Any number to call for a custom set?

JD

Quote from: roddster on February 10, 2020, 10:21:06 AM
Additional question:  OK, I'm trying to build a tribute to Lil'red.  So, the literature I've read said it had "Multoon (?) pile carpeting.  Who do I see for that?  Any number to call for a custom set?

Multan = Lambswool typically used in Rolls-Royce and other high-end cars - Willton.  Might want to go with the 2nd or 3rd choice from above. 

Also, I think the seats were "Rolls" leather too - Connolly leather.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0