News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Unintended consequence

Started by stephen_becker, February 09, 2020, 07:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: stangman39 on February 12, 2020, 07:57:25 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 10, 2020, 12:50:11 PM
So export them from another state? Is it that complicated? Port Newark is right across the river in "Jersey". They'd be happy to relieve you of your money. ;)

Maybe I'm not following but it seems to have more to do with a vehicle having NYS title (not issued on old cars for a long time there) or registration.
It doesn't have to do with physically where the vehicle is being exported from.
So to get around the issue a vehicle will have to have other State docs.

I'm helping a buddy in the UK bring a 68 coupe over there.  First thing the shipping broker said to me was "It doesn't have NY docs does it!?"

There are no NYS titles on vehicles before the 1973 model year. You don't even need a bill of sale to register a pre '73 vehicle.

Exactly what car titles and registrations have to do with immigration, I don't get that? Even so, this is NYS law and NYC is not the only national port of entry or departure from the US. Hardly.

What is this battle you are trying to fight that doesn't exist?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

stangman39

Hi Doug,

I grew up in NY.  I mentioned about the NY title in my post.

I don't understand what it has to do with immigration either but what I was trying to say is I think any vehicle that is trying to be exported that has NY docs is having issues now (regardless of what port)
Sounds like it has to do with accessing the NY database for verification.

shelbydoug

Quote from: stangman39 on February 12, 2020, 09:14:12 AM
Hi Doug,

I grew up in NY.  I mentioned about the NY title in my post.

I don't understand what it has to do with immigration either but what I was trying to say is I think any vehicle that is trying to be exported that has NY docs is having issues now (regardless of what port)
Sounds like it has to do with accessing the NY database for verification.

I agree that this is all very confusing.

The export policy laws have been written from the beginning of the US and that "we" don't care what is exported or goes out according to them.

I would think that the major issues are on the other end when someone is trying to import the vehicle into another country?

Maybe this is just the beginnings of another cottage industry for lawyers to corner and specialize in?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

davez

I think it has to do with tracking who owns a vehicle. If those individuals are illegal, the feds want that info reported to them. NY it sounds like, does not currently want to report illegal individuals and their paper trail to the feds.

Bill

Quote from: davez on February 12, 2020, 10:02:12 AM
I think it has to do with tracking who owns a vehicle. If those individuals are illegal, the feds want that info reported to them. NY it sounds like, does not currently want to report illegal individuals and their paper trail to the feds.

This is correct and covers the thread subject

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

shelbydoug

I've been dealing with the NY DMV for well over 50 years now.

These people are some of the most hostile, chip on your shoulder types, I'm gonna' ruin your day today, little people in a little job, but I get to control you right now,  personalities you could imagine.

They wouldn't accept a notarized signature of my Mom because of added security measures they deemed necessary from 9-11 but they will protect undocumented with unknown intentions? Perfect.

They all but wanted my baby picture so they could match up the dimples on my ass, to make sure it was me. Screw the entire bunch of them.

It just adds to their legacy of being major dicks.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

stangman39

I remember when I lived up there (been down South now 18 years...about as long as I grew up in NY) and if you got outta the DMW with goal accomplished in 1 try it was a major win!!
Much easier dealing with the DMV in GA!

67 GT350

The DMV in NY sucks, I went to register my Shelby, and they changed it to a Ford, they told me "tuff-sh&t" Jerks!
RARE  Signature Delete

Quote from: 67 GT350 on February 18, 2020, 09:42:53 PM
The DMV in NY sucks, I went to register my Shelby, and they changed it to a Ford, they told me "tuff-sh&t" Jerks!

Might save you some property tax that way.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 67 GT350 on February 18, 2020, 09:42:53 PM

About 30 years ago I recall someone in NY establishing Shelbys with the NYS DMV. I don't remember the specifics or how to do it. I seem to think that it had to be done through the Albany main office, BUT it had been established.

I've never bothered. I've had my '68 registered here since I bought it, April 4, 1972.

In addition, at some point, the NY DMV has determined that on a first time registration, sales tax will be charged on what they deem the market value of the car is, I'm told they have a list of cars identified by serial numbers and '60s Shelby's are on it.

I would venture to say that the "established value" of a '60s Shelby is significantly more then a Ford or a Mustang?

Now sometimes these changes are made internally and it is possible that these policies have been changed since 30 years ago. I'm not willing to go investigate any of this. I'm happy with my special NYS GT350 plates and my 2 year renewal rates.

I recently bought a new Ford Fusion. I was surprised to find that the dealer was tied into the DMV computer and printed out all the new documents. Things do change here and DMV employees actually ask for your review on their performance.

You can actually make an appointment with the DMV to schedule your transactions and of course, you can do virtually everything on line without actually talking to a human.

I still have deep suspicions of this "new attitude" like I do of the USPS.  I still have visions of the postal clerk taking my Priority mail with collector plate and throwing it in the back saying, "here's another one for that Fragile guy".

If there is such a thing as the deep state, I'd look at those two FIRST JUST TO GET EVEN.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!