News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Wiring Harness Better to Restore or Buy New

Started by mtdubvee, February 10, 2020, 10:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtdubvee

Im redoing my 68 Shelby and the wiring harness has a few issues I can see and I dont have the knowledge or time to redo it all. Do they make an exact reproduction or is it better to send my harness to someone and have them restore it?

Thanks
Matt
SFM 5S123

SFM 5S269

1967 GT350 #41 Raven Black 4 Speed

corbins

Matt.. contact Pete Disher , on this site aka coralsnake. He will have what you need and it will be correct. No fires

mtdubvee

SFM 5S123

SFM 5S269

1967 GT350 #41 Raven Black 4 Speed

cjmustangman

+1 on Pete Disher
It's a small price to pay for the investment you have in the car. 50 plus year old wiring is brittle and frail, leads to dim lights, poor continuity and just overall problems.
Ask me how I know...
Arild

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mtdubvee on February 10, 2020, 10:55:57 AM
Im redoing my 68 Shelby and the wiring harness has a few issues I can see and I dont have the knowledge or time to redo it all. Do they make an exact reproduction or is it better to send my harness to someone and have them restore it?

Thanks
Matt
It depends on your expectations .The reproductions are not exact but extremely close. If you want it to be exactly like original then the OEM is the way to go. With that said a original harness would need to be restored correctly to look better. You would need a good core with good ends that are not melted ,wires not bleached out etc. if you plan on cosmetically restoring it you can typically make a original harness look fresh by a good cleaning and re wrap of outside covering. When I restore one it is more about saving a usable piece of history rather then throwing it away. I typically only do it for myself. I have way too many hours in one to charge for the work. More a labor of love /satisfaction.  Not all 50 year old harness's are stiff and brittle. If there a lot of slices or repairs then the work needed to make it look right may far exceed the cost of a nice repro. The nice repros available are the easy button. The original OEM harness restored to look as good as new ,not so much.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby