Author Topic: Owners of Edelbrock acquires Comp Performance Group.  (Read 1607 times)

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Owners of Edelbrock acquires Comp Performance Group.
« on: February 11, 2020, 06:35:06 AM »
Not really sure this is a good thing, private equity firms have tended to bleed acquisitions out and package for resale or close altogether. Within the discussion link it's hinted that Edelbrock is moving most of their manufacturing to Mississippi, hadn't heard that.

https://www.aftermarketnews.com/edelbrock-owner-acquires-comp-performance-group/

Some discussion.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads/going-to-get-interesting-with-edelbrocks-owner-buying-comp-cams-out-and.2613854/

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
Re: Owners of Edelbrock acquires Comp Performance Group.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 08:28:09 AM »
I went through this with the company I was working for. PE firm bought it, milked the company dry and auctioned off the smoking carcass after declaring Chapter 7.

It might take a few years. If you want any good Edelbrock or Comp Cams products you better buy soon. Quality and selection are going to go straight down from here.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 08:43:09 AM »
I went through this with the company I was working for. PE firm bought it, milked the company dry and auctioned off the smoking carcass after declaring Chapter 7.

It might take a few years. If you want any good Edelbrock or Comp Cams products you better buy soon. Quality and selection are going to go straight down from here.

I sincerely hope that's not the case, I'm sure Vic is turning in his grave.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 08:50:00 AM »
Comp performance group has been on the leading edge of performance for some time. In my opinion Edelbrock needed the purchase to keep them afloat. Most racers or performance people think of Edelbrock lastly when building their cars, but will use COMP or TCI convertors as a go to for their projects first. I personally don't feel their will be any smoldering carcasses in the transition, think of Colt industries they own everything from carbs, gaskets, shifters etc. All good stuff but no one thinks about the business end of things.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 10:55:07 AM »
Not really sure this is a good thing, private equity firms have tended to bleed acquisitions out and package for resale or close altogether. Within the discussion link it's hinted that Edelbrock is moving most of their manufacturing to Mississippi, hadn't heard that.

https://www.aftermarketnews.com/edelbrock-owner-acquires-comp-performance-group/

Some discussion.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads/going-to-get-interesting-with-edelbrocks-owner-buying-comp-cams-out-and.2613854/

NOT manufacturing , distribution is being moved. This shortens shipping time from west to east. The foundries would be VERY difficult to relocate. There is no great advantage to moving manufacturing from it's present location. Moving the finished inventory will give them room to expand production even more.
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 11:39:36 AM »
Comp performance group has been on the leading edge of performance for some time. In my opinion Edelbrock needed the purchase to keep them afloat. Most racers or performance people think of Edelbrock lastly when building their cars, but will use COMP or TCI convertors as a go to for their projects first. I personally don't feel their will be any smoldering carcasses in the transition, think of Colt industries they own everything from carbs, gaskets, shifters etc. All good stuff but no one thinks about the business end of things.

I hate Comp Cam products. Absolute junk. Their top dawg lifters didn't last 15 minutes on the dyno. Yes, 15 minutes which included 10 minutes of warm up. Had to disassemble the engine just to press the trash out of the lifter bores.

Of course, they blamed me, but as soon as I dropped in Isky Red Zone lifters, problem solved. I will never buy their crap again.

No loss if they disappear.