News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Barn Find 69

Started by MsLucy, February 11, 2020, 05:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MsLucy

A friend called me recently about a 69 GT500 in need of a total restoration. Been sitting in a barn for 40 plus years in Indiana. As far as I know, its supposed to be a numbers matching car. Its all there, but pretty rough. Havent talked numbers yet. Not sure what a good price to pay would be if it checks out to be what its supposed to be. Any thoughts on that, or tips ? Would love to bring another one back to life. Thanks in advance

Shelby_r_b

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I would definitely have a Shelby professional inspect the car.  Not only will that enable you to know if it's real, but you'll also know the condition and how much of the car is original; which will help in determining a value.

Best of luck!
Nothing beats a classic!

Rickmustang

In Indiana? How did Ed not find this car????
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

JohnB

MsLucy

Seems to be alot of pricing data out there for restored ones out there. But for project cars, not seeing much info.

Assuming everything checks out to be 100% legitimate and complete, whats a fair ballpark offer for one in need of a total proper restoration? I dont wanna lowball anyone, nor shoot myself in the foot. I mean, 10k, 20k, 30k +?

Special Ed

Eds not looking for anymore 69-70 shelbys got too many now and plenty of restoration work. What part of Indiana is the car in? 69 70 shelbys are very hard and expensive to restore with more unique parts than any other mustang made so do your homework first or get some good advice before making offer.

MsLucy

thanks for the replies. Figured this would be a good place to get some info.

Coralsnake

The problem is definitions

You might call a car "in need of some work" and others might say "complete basket case" for the same car.

Without seeing the issues its very difficult to put a price on a project

Its not unreasonable for a restoration to be over 100k

Coralsnake

Its a very rare day when you can buy a big block under 50k. When you do, one has to start asking some ethical questions

MsLucy

From what it sounds like, based on the information I have been given, it sounds to be more of a basket case, rather than just needing some work. Meaning, likely some varment defecation, some body rust , and so on. Pretty much put away four decades ago in a barn, and left to fend for itself.

Big difference in value between a parts car(body not restorable,basically value is what the parts will bring individually)and a restorable core(body not so far gone that it can't  be brought back) imho.....Most cars are somewhere in the middle ,which gets complicated.Photos would help for sure....

Side-Oilers

Agreed with all of the above cautions.

I'd also want to learn why that particular car was put into a garage (and left there for 40 years) when it was only ten or so years old.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

MsLucy

Bummer. Found out today the original 428 is gone. Now has a 390.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: MsLucy on February 12, 2020, 01:34:41 PM
Bummer. Found out today the original 428 is gone. Now has a 390.
That would be a chunk of money that would have to be figured in.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

I certainly don't want to discourage you.

Someone should save the car. My post was its a lot more expensive than most would intially expect and really only an in person inspection can pin down some numbers