Author Topic: How many on this site have a red Hertz?  (Read 7004 times)

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
Re: How many on this site have a red Hertz?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2020, 02:58:13 PM »
Could be my dyslexia working overtime that day 🤪
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2020, 03:21:57 PM »
Is a red Hertz Registry in the offing? How about a red Hertz four speed registry. It would consist of a one paragraph book in hard cover. Naw. Kidding.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

66 Hertz

• Greg Kolasa Hertz and GT40 Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2020, 10:39:25 AM »
Steve McD (perhaps unwittingly) highlights the difficulty in determining the top stripes issue as it pertains to the Hertz cars: cost. The contract between SAI and Hertz called for top stripes to be added at no cost (as a side note, it is interesting that Hertz actually got a better deal on the cars than did Shelby's own dealers, who had to pay for top stripes) so on the cars where Hertz specified no stripes, there was no reason to give any sort of credit...the stripes were free anyway. There is no way SAI was going to refund the cost of something they essentially had to give away for free! Since the stripes were a 'no cost' item, they didn't show up on the Hertz car invoices...that's why we are forced into using the Staff Meeting Minutes to address the issue of stripe application. The Minutes address the issue of striping/no striping during a block of time, which is a bit less desirable than if the invoices noted stripes, which would address the issue on a car-by-car basis. As for factory documentation on this topic, we gotta work with what we have.

I believe that one reader commented that 522 was a red, four-speed car...a look at the Hertz car listing in the Registry clearly identifies the car as black. NONE of the original four-speed cars were other than black.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2020, 10:45:22 AM »
Damn! There goes my red Hertz four speed registry.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »
Steve,

I show 6S552 as black and 6S522 as the red 4 speed. Can you verify this?

Thanks,

Dennis

Looked up car 6S522 through the 1976 1965-1966 GT350 Registry,1987 Registry, 2011 Registry and the 2019 Registry and found a conflict on the color in the 2011 registry it states" "original color not documented but a prior believed it to be red." In the 2019 Registry it states " "original color not documented but believed to be black." Looked back in the "1965-1966 GT350 Registry from June 1976 and no colors are noted  and the 1987 Registry says "The original color is unconfirmed, but thought to be blue." All of the registries from 1987 on show this car to be a 4 speed.

its now possible that 6S522 was not actually Red as the first confirmed Red car I can find in the registry is 6S613 and does not seem logical that they would have painted one car Red in a batch of Black cars and the first Red Hertz car is VIN 6S829 has several Red cars around that VIN (Red non Hertz cars)

6S552 shows in all registries as "color unconfirmed but believe to be black" all registries show this car to be a 4 speed

This is an interesting subject as there seems to be some many variations, but there does appear that cars were produced in similar batches , a run of Black 4 speeds, a run of Blue automatics, a run of Red cars, etc. I really wish that they would have kept much better records but the great thing about SAAC is that we have a lot of information that is shared to help get a clearer picture of what was going on in that 5 year run of Shelby American in that time period 1962-67. What a great piece of automotive history
As for the stripes vs. no stripes, I defer to the experts as my information is based on conversations with a guy who worked at Hertz's faculty at DC's National Airport in 1966. he also identified my car as being rented at National Airport by having a interior rear view mirror painted "red". He had an explanation that this was to identify the airport it came from, DC National, Friendship (Baltimore) or Dulles
 So much more to learn
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2020, 10:07:52 PM »
Imagine what it felt like going to the airport and seeing one of those in the stall knowing it was yours for the weekend. I was 3 years old at the time. I can only use my imagination.
I was 16 and my dad was traveling for work. Every time we took him to LAX I begged him to rent me a Hertz GT350 for the weekend. He kept reminding me they wouldn't let me drive it. I only remember seeing a black & gold parked out front. They probably kept the arrest me red ones in the back.

PS - I'm working on a spread sheet of the Hertz cars from the 2011 registry.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:11:07 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2020, 10:16:15 PM »
That's a fine memory to have. We never got them in Canada. Even the 69 Boss 302 was virtually impossible to get North of the US when they were new for 1969. It would be interesting to see your documented spreadsheet. No small task to compile.