News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1965-66 COBRA Lettered T-oil pan question

Started by George Schalk, February 16, 2020, 12:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Schalk

Was there more than one vendor/supplier for the 65-66 7.5 quart COBRA T-pan back in 65-66?  The reason for asking is that there is a pan for sale and the seller has it advertised as nos original.  Below is a pic of an original cast part number and the bottom pic is of the pan for sale.  You can clearly see the differences.  Can anyone shed some insight on the second pic?

Thanks,
George

6S1568

Hi George, I don't know if there were different vendors or not, but I can tell you that my original pan has a casting identical to the top one in your photos. Denny

NC TRACKRAT

Can't say that I've ever seen one using an "I" instead of a "1", much less the beveled corners...but what do I know?
5S071, 6S1467

GT350Lad

Quote from: 6S1568 on February 16, 2020, 12:56:22 PM
Hi George, I don't know if there were different vendors or not, but I can tell you that my original pan has a casting identical to the top one in your photos. Denny

Agree, my original pan had top stamping
Cheers
Mine below
6S373
6S1276

shelbydoug

They've been reproduced a number of times. Early repops aren't so much for details like that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

A "I" is not typical on a original pan. There are a number of other differences on a repro pan to help identify it as such.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

+1    "I" is certainly a repop. There was only one casting company used in the 60's. Buddy Barr.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

George Schalk

Your answers confirm what I thought, which is that there was only one supplier and one type of design T-pan used on the 1965-66 Shelbys.  Your answers all confirmed that the pan with the "SIMS" (instead of the "S1MS") part number was that of a reproduction COBRA pan. 

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.

George Schalk 

gt350hr

George ,
      One other clue is the actual width of the tape used in the label "gun". Notice the repop is more narrow than the original. That is because someone copied the width of the Buddy Barr valve cover label which was copper material. The oil pan label material was very soft steel material. I am friends with three of the current five owners and have a few insights from time to time.
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.