Author Topic: rotors  (Read 4435 times)

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
rotors
« on: February 15, 2020, 11:31:12 AM »
Hi---looking for fairly good rotors for 69 Shelby gt 500 June production--thank you

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: rotors
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 12:12:24 PM »
Hi---looking for fairly good rotors for 69 Shelby gt 500 June production--thank you
Do you still have your old ones?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 08:06:01 PM »
YES, but not sure if they are original , correct or what condition they are in---will remove tires tomorrow and check--thank you

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »
YES, but not sure if they are original , correct or what condition they are in---will remove tires tomorrow and check--thank you
If they are mounted on the KKX or DOZA-B spindles then they fit. At the very least they are a good starting point and rare in their own regard. If that is the case then you can press the studs out , detail the hubs for originality and then install new rotor hats (NPD now sells some by themselves) and press the studs back on and after having them turned to true up. The rotors are needles in the haystack now given Branda and NPD are out of stock of the replacements Tony Branda had made up years ago . i think it took more then 10 years to sellout the first run . i was told by Tony before his passing that it was too big of a investment to let sit that long so don't expect anymore replacements anytime soon.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 04:25:34 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 11:41:55 PM »
Hi --Bob I just do not now how to thank you and so many others that express all the willingness to help bring all those cars closely back to originality   -    THANK YOU

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 08:40:57 PM »
I have one DOAZ 3108 B and one KKX [passenger side] they appear to be coated withs some sort of aluminum paint/coating which makes them look ugly---rotors to me appear to be original and in fairly good shape--rotor on the other hand are blue in color and most likely fake---I have in my warehouse BENDIX-FE 776-AO, but am not sure if this is correct---thus I need one DOAZ 31O7 one set of pads and someone would have correct rotors I would buy them also. in retrospect if anybody needs KKX or DOAZ 3107 B spindle I  would be willing to part or trade them--thanks

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 09:20:50 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of an original rotor and a new repro like you are looking for. Notice the factory slapped on blackout.

TOB

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:22:52 PM by TOBKOB »
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 09:50:30 PM »
Thanks--- I have no idea difference between original and reproduction--my aim is original if can only find it and can you please point out the difference--thanks --John

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »
The main thing that jumps out at me is the face of the center portion of the rotor is flat on my originals and the repro rotors. I'm not saying yours aren't original just I have never seen ones with the recesses yous have. Others may have seen them.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 12:34:29 PM »
If the rotors fit on the special KKX or DOZA-B spindles then the rotors are the special ones too regardless of if assemblyline or aftermarket. The most important thing is to have something that fits in this world of even finding a aftermarket will be difficult . I would repair/restore the ones on the car now if need be. I have a pair of aftermarket Shelby rotors on my shelves for save keeping in case one of my cars needs them. I am sure there are others like myself but it may be difficult and expensive to try and pry them loose unless they have sold the car etc. The point is for the uninformed is that ether type of special rotors are hard to find and you shouldn't pass up a aftermarket one in the hopes of finding a NOS original. You are looking at lottery ticket odds finding NOS special rotors IMO.Even finding used original ones to rebuild are likely only smaller less lottery win odds. Original are not marked with a Ford trademark or engineering number and the subtle nuances differences between the aftermarket and assemblyline are small. Once wheels are mounted even the subtle differences disappear. If every other thing on the car is original belts,battery,tires etc. then maybe it may make a difference other wise it will not effect the big picture much IMO.

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 01:32:31 PM »
Thank you for clarification---only question remains --are Bendix pads correct or acceptable---I am sure that blue on the car is repr.---

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 03:23:40 PM »
Thank you for clarification---only question remains --are Bendix pads correct or acceptable---I am sure that blue on the car is repr.---
Blue no. Gray pad material with zinc gold metal.

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 05:36:40 PM »
Than, Bendix is correct

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 05:45:34 PM »
Than, Bendix is correct
Those would be very close in appearance to original assembly line. Bendix was a OEM.

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 07:41:51 PM »
Bob,  Zinc gold finish?    wheres Ed?   ;)

respectively chris  lol