Author Topic: Gas Caps  (Read 2287 times)

SanDogDewey

• View Profile
Gas Caps
« on: February 15, 2020, 12:44:31 PM »
Did the 427 Street version share gas caps with the 289? Are the elongated caps being reproduced? The round release button on the 289 looks different than the square button on the street cap.

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Caps
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 01:52:43 PM »
Did the 427 Street version share gas caps with the 289? Are the elongated caps being reproduced? The round release button on the 289 looks different than the square button on the street cap.

"Round" release button covers Cobras and early 427 Cobras. "Rectangular" release buttons came into use in late 427 Cobras. Most of the parts for the early style have been recreated (new tooling) by the original manufacturer in the UK for members of the AC Owners Club. I don't know if they ever recreated the OE non-locking threaded necks for not. When a group of Cobra owners bought new parts the only neck available was the one for a locking (with a key) assembly. I don't know if any other companies have tooled up to make replacements.

I believe Nick Acton normally carries "round" button parts in stock.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

SanDogDewey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 02:01:09 PM »
Thanks Dan. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and figured you were the one with the answer. I'll never own an original but I hope to create a tribute of sorts in the next year. I don't like the gas cap rear quarter recess that the popular kits have adopted. Patrick
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:11:16 PM by SanDogDewey »

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »
Thanks Dan. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and figured you were the one with the answer. I'll never own an original but I hope to create a tribute of sorts in the next year. I don't like the gas cap rear quarter recess that the popular kits have adopted.

You are welcome.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.