Author Topic: Fog light ?  (Read 2846 times)

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
Fog light ?
« on: February 16, 2020, 09:44:37 PM »
 Playing with the car this weekend & I notice one of the center fog lights is out so ? Is do these come on with the headlights or is there a switch to turn the center lights on or off ,or are they high beams & stay on all the time I'm confused about these ,looking in the owners manual it shows a switch under dash & a seat belt light that I don't seem to have .
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
Re: Fog light ?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 10:12:32 PM »
On a 67 it goes on with high beams (floor switch)...

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 10:18:01 PM »
Playing with the car this weekend & I notice one of the center fog lights is out so ? Is do these come on with the headlights or is there a switch to turn the center lights on or off ,or are they high beams & stay on all the time I'm confused about these ,looking in the owners manual it shows a switch under dash & a seat belt light that I don't seem to have .
No foglight on 67 only center highbeams which you my be confusing them with. Dimmer switch on floorboard controls them.  No foglight switch under the dash on 67 Shelby. The seat belt warning light is typical on early and some very late cars  but the rest didn't typically get it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 10:28:47 PM »
ok thanks guys that makes sense, i'll have to get the one high beam fixed
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 12:35:13 AM »
The grille lights (inboard or outboard) are high-beam only (two prong) and as stated above come on with the floor switch after the headlight switch is pulled-out.  The fender lights are both Low-beam and High-beam (three prong) so when the high-beam switch is depressed you have 4 high-beam lights on at the same time.

This and the extra tail lights had a tendency to overheat the light switch and all lights would go out (not fun at night) until the switch cooled and all would come back on - for a while.

The portion in the owners manual you highlighted is reference to the fog light that were part of the GT package on a "standard" Mustang (the smaller lights in the grille of those cars see attached image) - not a Shelby.

Also, all the head lights on the '67 Shelby are the smaller diameter, not the larger standard Mustang Lights.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 12:48:03 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 10:48:53 AM »
The grille lights (inboard or outboard) are high-beam only (two prong) and as stated above come on with the floor switch after the headlight switch is pulled-out.  The fender lights are both Low-beam and High-beam (three prong) so when the high-beam switch is depressed you have 4 high-beam lights on at the same time.

This and the extra tail lights had a tendency to overheat the light switch and all lights would go out (not fun at night) until the switch cooled and all would come back on - for a while.

The portion in the owners manual you highlighted is reference to the fog light that were part of the GT package on a "standard" Mustang (the smaller lights in the grille of those cars see attached image) - not a Shelby.

Also, all the head lights on the '67 Shelby are the smaller diameter, not the larger standard Mustang Lights.

Please clarify.

It’s my understanding that all 4 lamp head light systems, back in ‘67, used low beam or high beam dedicated lamps. Relative to ‘67 Shelbys, the fender lamps were low beam only. The inboard or outboard grill lamps were high beam only. Thus when the high beam switch was stepped on, the inboard or outboard grill lamps (high beams) were activated/inactivated. The fender lights did not become brighter high beams. I believe that having 4 high beams would have violated DOT regulations in more than a few states.

In cars that had only 2 head lights, i.e., ‘67 & ‘68 Mustangs and ‘68 Shelbys, the fender lamps were combination low beam/high beam lamps. Those lamps had an additional filament that was activated/inactivated via the floor switch.

If I got this wrong, please correct me.

I hope this helps.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 12:00:54 PM »

Please clarify.

It’s my understanding that all 4 lamp head light systems, back in ‘67, used low beam or high beam dedicated lamps. Relative to ‘67 Shelbys, the fender lamps were low beam only. The inboard or outboard grill lamps were high beam only. Thus when the high beam switch was stepped on, the inboard or outboard grill lamps (high beams) were activated/inactivated. The fender lights did not become brighter high beams. I believe that having 4 high beams would have violated DOT regulations in more than a few states.
In cars that had only 2 head lights, i.e., ‘67 & ‘68 Mustangs and ‘68 Shelbys, the fender lamps were combination low beam/high beam lamps. Those lamps had an additional filament that was activated/inactivated via the floor switch.
I hope this helps.
Steve

The '67 Shelby did have low and high beam lights in the fender positions, just smaller diameter bulb that stock '67 Mustang, as the same wiring harness was used to the fender bulbs - this combined with the Shelby added grille high-beams resulted in 4 high-beam on at the same time.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 12:04:21 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »

Please clarify.

I hope this helps.
Steve

The '67 Shelby did have low and high beam lights in the fender positions, just smaller diameter bulb that stock '67 Mustang, as the same wiring harness was used to the fender bulbs - this combined with the Shelby added grille high-beams resulted in 4 high-beam on at the same time.
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 05:56:23 PM »

Please clarify.

I hope this helps.
Steve

+1

Thank you gentlemen,

I stand corrected and learned something new.

Was this just a Shelby thing or is that how all 4 lamp headlight systems, back in the day, worked?

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 06:13:50 PM »

Please clarify.

I hope this helps.
Steve

+1

Thank you gentlemen,

I stand corrected and learned something new.

Was this just a Shelby thing or is that how all 4 lamp headlight systems, back in the day, worked?

Steve
I don't know about all but it was typical. 69 Mustang/Boss 4 bulb headlight system comes to mind.