Author Topic: Phantom Works Shelby question  (Read 5947 times)

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
Re: Phantom Works Shelby question
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 09:53:59 AM »
I had a 1970 Cobra Jet MACH 1 that had Big Tube Hooker Headers.  Never had that problem but that's because the Headers rested on the Shock Towers so the Engine never moved at all.

DH48

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »
I have had that problem with a 69 Boss 302 , ended up being worn out engine mounts.

Mark500

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »
It is not uncommon for these cars to have sagging shock towers.  A Hydraulic Power pack can be used to push them in place... and an export brace to used to hold them in the correct location.  I have seen some people also reinforce with new welds.   I find it BS to not fix this issue ...

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 12:15:26 PM »
It is not uncommon for these cars to have sagging shock towers.  A Hydraulic Power pack can be used to push them in place... and an export brace to used to hold them in the correct location.  I have seen some people also reinforce with new welds.   I find it BS to not fix this issue ...
Big block itis is what we kiddingly call the sagging symptom. ;D  Good points and easy to do with even a inexpensive harbor freight porta power . I typically use a 67/68 export brace as a Quicky  go -no go measuring device for just that purpose. If if it doesn't go on I know to tweek it with the porta power until it does . I agree BS not to fix but they probably didn't know any better.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 06:16:14 PM »
That makes sense.

I do like the idea of E-coat on the inside of frame rails etc tho.

Not a fan of e Kote or dipping.  we did a Boss 429 that the customer sent out to redi strip and then e kote.  Everytime that car got wet during the priming and water sanding the red strip would come out of the seams like it was not prepped properly and strip the e kote   when in reality how do you prep the inside of a frame rail - about the same as jet hot coating the inside of headers.  Not possible unless you would acid etch.  We had to power wash the car inside out .  blow dry and heat dry with fans for a day  then sandblast  the seams and epoxy primer before it stopped stripping itself.  He wasted about $2000
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 08:57:02 PM »
That makes sense.

I do like the idea of E-coat on the inside of frame rails etc tho.

Not a fan of e Kote or dipping.  we did a Boss 429 that the customer sent out to redi strip and then e kote.  Everytime that car got wet during the priming and water sanding the red strip would come out of the seams like it was not prepped properly and strip the e kote   when in reality how do you prep the inside of a frame rail - about the same as jet hot coating the inside of headers.  Not possible unless you would acid etch.  We had to power wash the car inside out .  blow dry and heat dry with fans for a day  then sandblast  the seams and epoxy primer before it stopped stripping itself.  He wasted about $2000

The acid strip was seeping out or the E-coat? I thought E-coat was green?

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 09:38:14 PM »
Most ecote these days is black occasionally some gray shows up on European car parts. The green color you may have seen is probably etching primer

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 01:32:46 PM »
Worst part of a 69-70 is the vert scoops. Of course it is the wrong color stripe . :)

If that is wrong, I don't want to be right.