News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Phantom Works Shelby question

Started by BGlover67, March 03, 2018, 11:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesgt350

I had a 1970 Cobra Jet MACH 1 that had Big Tube Hooker Headers.  Never had that problem but that's because the Headers rested on the Shock Towers so the Engine never moved at all.

DH48

I have had that problem with a 69 Boss 302 , ended up being worn out engine mounts.

Mark500

It is not uncommon for these cars to have sagging shock towers.  A Hydraulic Power pack can be used to push them in place... and an export brace to used to hold them in the correct location.  I have seen some people also reinforce with new welds.   I find it BS to not fix this issue ...

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Mark500 on March 06, 2018, 11:23:11 AM
It is not uncommon for these cars to have sagging shock towers.  A Hydraulic Power pack can be used to push them in place... and an export brace to used to hold them in the correct location.  I have seen some people also reinforce with new welds.   I find it BS to not fix this issue ...
Big block itis is what we kiddingly call the sagging symptom. ;D  Good points and easy to do with even a inexpensive harbor freight porta power . I typically use a 67/68 export brace as a Quicky  go -no go measuring device for just that purpose. If if it doesn't go on I know to tweek it with the porta power until it does . I agree BS not to fix but they probably didn't know any better.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

acman63

Quote from: 2112 on March 03, 2018, 09:58:03 PM
That makes sense.

I do like the idea of E-coat on the inside of frame rails etc tho.

Not a fan of e Kote or dipping.  we did a Boss 429 that the customer sent out to redi strip and then e kote.  Everytime that car got wet during the priming and water sanding the red strip would come out of the seams like it was not prepped properly and strip the e kote   when in reality how do you prep the inside of a frame rail - about the same as jet hot coating the inside of headers.  Not possible unless you would acid etch.  We had to power wash the car inside out .  blow dry and heat dry with fans for a day  then sandblast  the seams and epoxy primer before it stopped stripping itself.  He wasted about $2000
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Quote from: acman63 on March 08, 2018, 06:16:14 PM
Quote from: 2112 on March 03, 2018, 09:58:03 PM
That makes sense.

I do like the idea of E-coat on the inside of frame rails etc tho.

Not a fan of e Kote or dipping.  we did a Boss 429 that the customer sent out to redi strip and then e kote.  Everytime that car got wet during the priming and water sanding the red strip would come out of the seams like it was not prepped properly and strip the e kote   when in reality how do you prep the inside of a frame rail - about the same as jet hot coating the inside of headers.  Not possible unless you would acid etch.  We had to power wash the car inside out .  blow dry and heat dry with fans for a day  then sandblast  the seams and epoxy primer before it stopped stripping itself.  He wasted about $2000

The acid strip was seeping out or the E-coat? I thought E-coat was green?

davez

Most ecote these days is black occasionally some gray shows up on European car parts. The green color you may have seen is probably etching primer

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on April 06, 2018, 12:40:52 PM
Worst part of a 69-70 is the vert scoops. Of course it is the wrong color stripe . :)

If that is wrong, I don't want to be right.