News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ford Experimental -Concept Vehicles

Started by FL SAAC, February 17, 2020, 08:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

The Quarter Horse

In September, 1969, the Special Vehicles team at Ford proposed the "1970 1/2 Composite Mustang Program". This "super muscle car" would be a mid-year offering with planned production to start in January or February of 1970.

By this time, they were no longer making Shelby Mustangs. The BOSS 429 program was almost at an end as they satisfied the homologation rule for NASCAR. In addition to this, Chevrolet was going to introduce a mid-year body style change for the Camaro, giving them a jump on the new styling. The Composite Mustang proposal would fill these voids.

It was originally called the "Composite Mustang" because it combined existing parts from 4 different engineering programs:

Mustang Sportsroof body from the BOSS 429 program - This body had special accommodations for a larger engineShelby fiberglass front end - provided a preview of the 1971 styling429 Super Cobra Jet engine - a new engine, not planned for use in the Mustang until 1971. It also had improved performance and lower production cost over the BOSS 429 engine.Mercury Cougar XR-7 dash and instrument panel - provided a unique appearance as well as a full set of gauges (the Mustang instrument panel could not accommodate a Tachometer with Oil pressure and Ammeter gauges)
Two prototypes were built (a 4-speed and an Automatic) and they were sent to the drag strip for testing. After this testing, the program was renamed to "1970 1/2 Mustang Quarter Horse". It was determined that a production vehicle, with minor modifications for strip, would have an average ET of 13.022 seconds at 109.89 MPH. Impressive even by today's standards for a production car. Especially impressive on 1970 rubber.

Both prototypes are rumored to be in the hands of collectors. Fortunately these very unique Mustangs did not meet the fate of most prototype cars.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

67 GT350

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on May 11, 2020, 08:39:39 AM
The Quarter Horse

In September, 1969, the Special Vehicles team at Ford proposed the "1970 1/2 Composite Mustang Program". This "super muscle car" would be a mid-year offering with planned production to start in January or February of 1970.

By this time, they were no longer making Shelby Mustangs. The BOSS 429 program was almost at an end as they satisfied the homologation rule for NASCAR. In addition to this, Chevrolet was going to introduce a mid-year body style change for the Camaro, giving them a jump on the new styling. The Composite Mustang proposal would fill these voids.

It was originally called the "Composite Mustang" because it combined existing parts from 4 different engineering programs:

Mustang Sportsroof body from the BOSS 429 program - This body had special accommodations for a larger engineShelby fiberglass front end - provided a preview of the 1971 styling429 Super Cobra Jet engine - a new engine, not planned for use in the Mustang until 1971. It also had improved performance and lower production cost over the BOSS 429 engine.Mercury Cougar XR-7 dash and instrument panel - provided a unique appearance as well as a full set of gauges (the Mustang instrument panel could not accommodate a Tachometer with Oil pressure and Ammeter gauges)
Two prototypes were built (a 4-speed and an Automatic) and they were sent to the drag strip for testing. After this testing, the program was renamed to "1970 1/2 Mustang Quarter Horse". It was determined that a production vehicle, with minor modifications for strip, would have an average ET of 13.022 seconds at 109.89 MPH. Impressive even by today's standards for a production car. Especially impressive on 1970 rubber.

Both prototypes are rumored to be in the hands of collectors. Fortunately these very unique Mustangs did not meet the fate of most prototype cars.

WOW very cool cars, its too bad Ford went the SH*%box route. It seems Ford was asleep in the 70's with their production cars. What was the hot car in the 70's? The Trans-Am. Although I am NOT a fan of the FOX body Mustangs, (I feel they are ugly), that is when Ford woke up, but they did not get out of bed until 2005 with the Ford GT. They hit the snooze in 1999 holding back production of the T-Bird, and by 2002 they overpriced it and did not even offer a manual!
RARE  Signature Delete

roddster

The "Red" quarter horse, or AKA "the thouroughbred" (seen both names on these) was in the Concours room at the last Indianapolis convention.  Soon to be finished.

So, essentially a 1970 GT500 with a 429SCJ for power?

FL SAAC

Dave says it the best....you there....YUUUP !

Quote from: 2112 on May 11, 2020, 01:18:06 PM
So, essentially a 1970 GT500 with a 429SCJ for power?

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

The LID Project: Ford's Secret Mid-Engine Boss 429 Mustang

On the outside, the LID Mustang was trimmed not like a Boss 429 but like a standard 1969 Mach I Sportsroof, with little to give away the revised engine location. Note: There was even a hood scoop up front. The stamped steel wheels, eight inches wide at the rear and six inches in the front, were reverse offset (in front-wheel drive fashion) to preserve the stock track width, then disguised with full wheel covers taken from the Lincoln parts bin. The rear seat was removed and the area trimmed with black carpeting, while up front, the former engine compartment housed the battery, radiator, and air-conditioning condenser, with electric fans to provide cooling

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

67 GT350

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on May 12, 2020, 07:43:50 AM
The LID Project: Ford's Secret Mid-Engine Boss 429 Mustang

On the outside, the LID Mustang was trimmed not like a Boss 429 but like a standard 1969 Mach I Sportsroof, with little to give away the revised engine location. Note: There was even a hood scoop up front. The stamped steel wheels, eight inches wide at the rear and six inches in the front, were reverse offset (in front-wheel drive fashion) to preserve the stock track width, then disguised with full wheel covers taken from the Lincoln parts bin. The rear seat was removed and the area trimmed with black carpeting, while up front, the former engine compartment housed the battery, radiator, and air-conditioning condenser, with electric fans to provide cooling

Yet another (lightbulb) better idea from Ford, yet to company wanted to keep up with the boring cars and sleep the 70's away! Yeah yeah, I know the bumper requirements/emissions.
RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

The 2004 Bronco concept

The story of this take on a reborn Bronco goes back to 2004 at that year's North American International Auto Show. Traveling back in time and a decade in half, you'll find that Ford was all in on retro style. Not only was its unabashedly throwback Ford GT getting tons of attention, the dramatically re-designed and heritage inspired 2005 Mustang was about to hit the market as well.

With the 2004 Bronco Concept, the idea was to take that same retro flavor and apply it to Ford's SUV line, reviving the popular 4x4 that was last sold in 1996. As you can clearly see from the shape, the 2004 Bronco was heavily inspired by the iconic first generation model of the '60s and '70s.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Coralsnake

FL SAAC

Agreed ....what he said  ☆☆☆☆☆

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

The Synergy 2010 was Ford's idea of in 1996. As such, it featured two power sources — a 1.0-litre direct-injection extremely lightweight materials (it weighed just one tonne (ton)), "air fences", which dictated the car's advanced, aerodynamic styling and computer-animated instruments. You could even call up the phone book by issuing a simple verbal command!

In 1996, Ford offered its thoughts on the family car of the year 2010. The federal government got the Big Three together under the banner of the Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles, and part of Ford's contribution was a lightweight and aerodynamic concept vehicle designed to get 80 mpg from its 1-liter diesel-electric hybrid powertrain.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

1996 Lincoln Sentinal

Specs: 6.0-liter V12 engine made from two 3.0-liter V6 bolted together, rear-wheel drive, 218 inches (5.53 meters) long, 20-inch wheels

With its edgy body and intimidating design, the retro-futuristic concept was a radical take on the Lincoln Continental and Town Car of the era.

The hugely desirable GT90 concept you might remember from the good ol' days of Need For Speed 2 was unveiled in January 1995 at NAIAS to pave the way for the "New Edge" design philosophy. A year later at the same show in the Motor City, Ford's premium brand Lincoln embraced the styling approach for a fullsize luxury sedan that much like Ford's supercar, never saw the light of production day.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

1955 Fairbird

Sometimes called the Fairbird, preproduction prototype 55 Ford Thunderbirds wore Fairlane trim. No records were ever kept of how many were made with the Fairlane trim but it is reported the number was between two and 6 with at least one more done for a Ford Executive. Advertising, sales materials and even glove box materials were all finalized and prepared for production.

I have all UNGOLD cars