News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ford Experimental -Concept Vehicles

Started by FL SAAC, February 17, 2020, 08:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: FL SAAC on February 19, 2020, 07:21:02 PM
The 1963 Mustang II running prototype was displayed at the U.S. Grand Prix and previewed many of the design elements that would be incorporated into the production model, including the long hood, short rear deck, 108-inch wheelbase, the rear wheel scoops and tri-bar taillights.
I helped my friend make a custom gas cap for it last year. Got it done for MCACN. The original one disappeared decades ago. We made sure it had some patina.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on May 05, 2022, 09:21:39 AM
The 1963 Mustang II running prototype was displayed at the U.S. Grand Prix and previewed many of the design elements that would be incorporated into the production model, including the long hood, short rear deck, 108-inch wheelbase, the rear wheel scoops and tri-bar taillights.
I helped my friend make a custom gas cap for it last year. Got it done for MCACN. The original one disappeared decades ago. We made sure it had some patina.

Impressive !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbymann1970

Quote from: FL SAAC on May 05, 2022, 09:26:33 AM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on May 05, 2022, 09:21:39 AM

Impressive !
It got me and the Mrs. in for the show.  :) :) Curator is a really nice guy. My friend's version built we believe in the 70s. Could never document it came out of Ford but was done "old school" like the prototypes were done. My friend had access to the II down in Detroit hidden in a basement(I think with the Cougar concept) more than a few times and that is how the gas cap came about. 2 were made. One for the real one and one for the fake one.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

TA Coupe

If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

1970 Ford Maverick Estate Coupe

Ford exhibited the Maverick Estate Coupe concept vehicle at the 1971 Chicago Auto Show. The Estate Coupe had a dark green padded "Landaulet" roof over the rear seating, and the body finished in limefire green. That unique color used a subtle gold-flake base, and complimented the avocado interior. Cast magnesium wheels had spoke design reminiscent of the classic wire wheels.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

What a STUNNER of a car especially in avocado green....styling !

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Simply beautiful

The Ford GT70 was a mid-engined GT sports car, based on on Ford's GT70 rally car. It was designed by Filippo Sapino, head of Ford's Turin design Studio. The car was displayed at Turin in November 1971. The car featured alloy wheels from the Ford RS2000.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

THUNDERBIRD TRIDON

Ford's experimental Tridon show vehicle was based on the 1971 Thunderbird, and on public display for the first time that year. Broad, low and rakish, Tridon featured a long, sleek hood and forward-thrusting fenders that created a pronounced, tri-element design. In the rear the treatment was strictly Thunderbird, with taillights deeply recessed in a broad oval frame that extended the width of the car. A depressed scoop beneath the formal "backlite" contained the-controlled-ventilation exhaust vent, flanked on either side by high-level stop-turn flashers that work in conjunction with the conventional flasher flare. Turned aluminum wheels, with a circular brushed finish, were held to the wheel by bolts around the entire perimeter of the outer wheel surface. Special tires for the Tridon were designed by Firestone Tire & Rubber Co. A flush tinted skylight strip extended across the roof over the rear passengers and wrapped over the roof pillars down to the beltline. The exterior was painted with 20 coats of a murano lacquer called Moongold Mist. All exterior glass, including the skylight strip, was amber, tinted to harmonize with the paint.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

The Thunderbird Tridon an imensly large beauty....

I have all UNGOLD cars

honker

Thanks for those shots of the Thunderbird Tridon, what a boat !  8)

Reminds me in profile,  of the '69 Mercury Marauder X-1, a friend had one in the early '70s.

FL SAAC

Quote from: honker on August 24, 2022, 04:53:47 PM

Reminds me in profile,  of the '69 Mercury Marauder X-1, a friend had one in the early '70s.

First thing that came to mind when I viewed the Tridon was a giant white moth

I have all UNGOLD cars

Side-Oilers

Quote from: honker on August 24, 2022, 04:53:47 PM

Also reminds of a '68 Grand Prix. Giant, with the bird beak and fender skirts like that.   The year before the DeLorean downsized model came out.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1968-grand-prix-it-is-an-unrestored-original-car-with-only-36k-miles-i-bought-is-at-the-pontiac-nationals-in-norwal--242912973624187034/

I always liked the Marauder X-100. The flat black hood rear deck was unique, especially on a large car.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model