Author Topic: Ford Experimental -Concept Vehicles  (Read 49693 times)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ford Experimental -Concept Vehicles
« Reply #210 on: October 02, 2020, 10:08:43 PM »

Staying with concept wagons for the moment, there was this.

Mike

So is that where AMC got the look for the rear of the Gremlin?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2020, 09:23:52 AM »
Yikes another 3H clubber....horrendous, horrible,  hideous...

Staying with concept wagons for the moment, there was this.

Mike

So is that where AMC got the look for the rear of the Gremlin?
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 19, 2020, 08:36:16 AM »
The lovely Ford Gyron

A gyroscopically controlled two-wheeled car called the Gyron.

The two-wheeled Gyron, however, would shortly afterward consume much of Tremulis’s effort and time. As the Farrells wrote, Tremulis – whose chief and overwhelming concern was for aerodynamics – believed his design for a two-wheeled gyroscopically balanced car would represent the ultimate in automotive aerodynamics. “In short, Tremulis expected the Gyron to be a genuine breakthrough that would influence all future car design.”

The earliest Gyron sketches were rendered in 1956, but Tremulis renewed his interest in the Gyron after learning of GM’s 1959 Firebird III concept, which was hailed as the world’s most advanced and most exotic car. Tremulis felt he could do better. At about that time, Tremulis’s superiors at Ford assigned new hire Syd Mead to work with Tremulis on the Gyron, and together they convinced Ford to let them build a full-scale version of the car. Because a gyroscope of sufficient size to keep the full-scale Gyron upright proved far too expensive for the show car, a pair of wheels on outriggers were added to the design to keep the Gyron upright on the show stand (copywriters explained them away as necessary at low speeds and noted they’d retract at higher speeds); however, its front wheel did steer via a console-mounted dial, and an electric motor did propel the fiberglass-bodied show car up to about 5 MPH. The Gyron debuted in 1961 and would be one of Tremulis’s last projects at Ford, though he would continue to pursue the idea of a two-wheeled gyro car long after he left the company. The fire that destroyed Ford’s Rotunda reportedly took the Gyron as well.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2020, 09:52:12 AM »
1962 Ford Cougar 406

Debuting at the 1962 Chicago show, the Ford Cougar 406 featured top-hinged, electrically operated gull-wing doors, and came equipped with the new 406 cubic inch V-8. The engine developed 405 horsepower and 448 pound feet of torque. Swing-up headlights were concealed in tips of the fenders. This was the second Ford concept car to wear the Cougar nameplate. The original was a 3/8-scale model from 1956. Mercury first applied the Cougar moniker on a 1967 two-door hardtop pony car, based on the Mustang.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 22, 2020, 09:26:40 AM »
The lovely Ford Seattle-ite

Designed to be shown at the Seattle World’s Fair, and named after the host city. This unique styling dream car envisions four steerable front wheels and easily interchangeable power units.

Seattle-ite XXI would feature such advanced concepts as a travel programming computer, variable density glass, jalousie windows, and fingertip steering. The entire front of the car would "break away" from the passenger compartment in order to permit conversion from an economical power capsule of perhaps 60 h.p., to a high-speed, transcontinental unit in excess of 400 h.p. This concept could allow many styling treatments for the trailing vehicle that would house passengers in air-conditioned, noiseless comfort.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 05, 2020, 07:11:00 AM »
 1965 Aurora, featured a windshield that turns transparent to opaque at the touch of a button and a intercom between the driver's "command post" and the children's "romper room" at the rear.

The front passenger seat swivels to face a curved sofa in the lounge area. In place of a steering wheel, the Aurora has a steering bar.

Now here`s a great concept - an English magazine about American cars. It`s called Classic American, and the December, 1997 issue (which I didn`t see until February `98 in the USA) has an "Oddballs" column that features a 1964 Ford Aurora show car. The Aurora, which happens to be a funky looking station wagon with a lot of glass, had some unique features. It only had three doors - two on one side and one on the other (and a back hatch). Continuing the "three" theme, it was divided internally into three compartments - the front had two buckets, and the middle/back each had a kind of wrap-around sofa feature, with a glass partition between the second and third seats. The front styling looked vaguely like a `64-`67 Corvette; the pointy rear looked.....well, it was different!

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2020, 09:23:58 PM »
Never saw this one before kinda interesting
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2020, 09:57:38 AM »
Never saw this one before kinda interesting

Very nice

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2020, 09:59:25 AM »
Mercury XM800

1954 Mercury Monterey XM-800 | Review | SuperCars.net
https://www.supercars.net/blog/1954-mercury-monterey-xm-800/

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2020, 08:53:00 AM »
1964 Gas Turbine Truck

Named "Big Red", Fords Gas Turbine was a towering super-transport prototype. After its debut in 1964, it made several cross-country runs at costs comparable to diesel operation. The 600 hp gas turbine engine that powered "Big Red" was developed and produced by Ford under a contract with the Deparment of Defense.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2020, 08:53:53 AM »
Mustang station wagon

The story goes that in 1966 Italian coach builder Intermeccanica built a Mustang station wagon for advertising copywriter Barney Clark and designer Bob Cumberford which showed up in many car magazines of the day. Supposedly Ford had a Mustang wagon in design stages around the same time but scrapped the program shortly after the Intermeccania cars appeared. The Intermeccania cars are often mistaken for a factory concept.

"Let's revert to the slab stern and high luggage compartment, the nearly vertical rear window, the leather strap and 'chunk of road machinery' feeling." That's from a document describing the need for an American four-passenger sports car, a text leading to the Mustang. It was written in 1956 by the aforementioned Barney Clark, who wrote Corvette advertising copy at the time. It was furiously rejected by Harley J. Earl, General Motors' legendary styling chief.

A few years later, working for Ford's ad agency, Barney Clark talked with product planner Don Frey about his ideas. Lee Iacocca may be the "father of the Mustang," but he got the notion via Frey and Clark, and thus indirectly from GM.

Intermeccanica from Italy shaped this shooting brake by moving the rear window of a 1965 hard top backwards, installing a longer roof section and swing out windows.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 02, 2020, 09:15:55 AM »
XP Cobra / Bordinat Cobra

As a side note to the successful X-Car program, and in the context of the enthusiasm then present throughout the Ford Styling Department, Gene Bordinat directed the styling studio to create a second version of the Cougar II for him. Bordinat wanted a dream car of his own, much as Bill Mitchell was then enjoying at General Motors and what Harley Earl had done earlier. Always interested in innovation and good styling, Bordinat’s customized X Car was a stunning statement of the kind of nimble, droptop Ford sports car that could be created. Called alternatively the XP Cobra or, more authentically, the Bordinat Cobra, this iridescent honey gold iteration of the Cougar II was a beautiful roadster with a body fashioned from Royalex – a miracle "memory" material that recovered from minor dents.

The Bordinat Cobra was the first coil-spring chassis Cobra, has a unique plastic body painted metallic silver, and features a 289 High-Performance engine with a C4 automatic transmission.

The Bordinat Cobra was also built on a 427 Cobra (coil spring) chassis, #CSX3001, and, like the coupe, required the Ford small block motor to be set back in the frame to clear the low hood line. Although it was in many ways a "dream car," the Bordinat/XP Cobra was never a part Ford’s second generation X Car program. Apocryphal evidence and urban legends suggest that Bordinat used the car regularly at least for a year or so. As Ford expert Jim Burgy notes, "...the Bordinat Cobra has not been restored -- it is in it’s original condition, complete with original paint and drivetrain. It has been washed and waxed, but NOT repainted or restored." The Bordinat Cobra was an important part of the Ford Division’s wonderfully creative explosion of practical – but still dramatically styled – concept cars that directly precipitated the production Ford Mustang and additional corporate show cars in the rest of the Sixties.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 17, 2020, 08:46:55 AM »
Barris Kustom City is credited for building the 1966 Galaxie 500 Magic-Cruiser and second version based on a 1967 Galaxie XL. The Magic Cruiser II seems to use the roof from the original. Based on the photos of the 1967 version I see that the bumper is cut to fold down under the tailgate for easier entrance, so I included those reference photos here. The location of these cars is unknown to me.

The 1966 Magic Cruiser could be transformed from a fastback to a station wagon and back via hydraulic and electric controls. One of the specifications given to George Barris who was hired by Ford to build the car was that the movable roof section rise within seven seconds. A series of aircraft hydraulic systems, screw jacks, and a switch on the dash made that possible. Lowering the tailgate allowed for easy entry to a rear-facing third seat, and like on Ford’s production station wagons, the second and third seats could be folded down for addition cargo storage.

In front, the two-door hardtop LTD-based Magic Cruiser had one-piece tempered glass headlights, shaved door handles, and a set of Western wire mag wheels. It was painted a custom-mixed “Gold Sunset” and the interior was two-toned with pleated vinyl and lamb’s wool carpeting. Under the hood was the new 428.

This show car was probably re-skinned to become the Magic Cruiser II the following year.

One of the ways FoMoCo promoted its new 1967 full-sized cars was with a couple of show cars christened Magic Cruiser II and XL Interceptor. The Magic Cruiser II built by George Barris was, as Ford described it, a “super fastback” that could be turned into a station wagon when the fastback section of the roof and two special window-side panels were electrically raised. It was possibly built from the original Magic Cruiser shown during 1966.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ford Experimental Vehicles
« Reply #223 on: December 17, 2020, 11:53:09 AM »
2001 Ford 49 concept car

The Ford Forty-Nine was a concept car created by the Ford Motor Company. It was designed by Chip Foose and was first introduced at the 2001 North American International Auto Show.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ford Experimental Vehicles
« Reply #224 on: December 17, 2020, 07:16:02 PM »
2001 Ford 49 concept car

SHOULD HAVE MADE THAT CAR!

Indeed my good man indeed.
The Ford Forty-Nine was a concept car created by the Ford Motor Company. It was designed by Chip Foose and was first introduced at the 2001 North American International Auto Show. It is a tribute to the 1949 Ford.A convertible was also built, finished in red, but it was a static display vehicle and as such had no running gear.

The Forty-Nine's engine was the same Jaguar AJ-V8 engine used in the Ford Thunderbird, a naturally aspirated 3.9 liter, DOHC, 32-valve V8. Power is sent to the rear wheels through a 5-speed automatic transmission.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy