Author Topic: My "Barn Find"  (Read 5115 times)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
My "Barn Find"
« on: March 03, 2018, 01:11:55 PM »
1966 Mustang Convertible "Barn Find"

This story is not Shelby related in any way.  I understand the forum is dedicated to Shelby vehicles.  I read this forum religiously every day and really enjoy it.  I have come to relate to many people and have met some great people too from the forum.  Hopefully when SAAC 43 comes I will get a chance to meet many more of you.  I do not own a Shelby, but really want to someday.  Since I have the sense of comfort with the forum I thought I could still share my recent “barn find” with you guys and you will still enjoy it as much as any other Shelby story.

The car that I “found” has a lot of history with my family and a very close friend.  The story starts in 1980 when my friend, we will just call him Jim for simplicity and hiding his identity due to his privacy of his other cars you will see in the background of the photos.   Jim traded three 1958 Chevrolets for this 1966 Mustang C code Pony Interior convertible and a 6 cylinder coupe parts car.  One 1958 Chevrolet was a convertible with a 348 and it said “Posi-trac” on the dash.  The Chevrolet is probably a very valuable car today, but in 1980 it wasn’t as highly desirable as today.  Plus Jim is a Ford guy, so it made sense to get rid of the Chevrolets.  The other two 1958 Chevrolets were 2-door post parts cars.  This deal came from Hines Wrecking yard in Idaho.  Jim delivered two of the 1958 Chevrolets and took the Mustang home on separate trips before my father became involved.  Jim and my Dad have been friends for years and it wasn’t unusual for the them to go on car hunting trips.  This trip Jim had to take one more 58 Chevrolet to Idaho and pick up the 6 cylinder Mustang parts car to finalize the deal.  My Dad went along on this last trip. 

Jim nor my Dad can remember how my Dad talked Jim out of the Mustang so early in Jim’s ownership, but shortly after Jim received the car my Dad purchased it and the parts car for $2,500.00.  A bill of sale still in possession of Jim brought back many of these memories.  Jim still doesn’t understand how he let my Dad talk him out of the car so shortly after he purchased it.  Jim mentioned that the “newness” hadn’t worn off yet.  I personally assume Jim was hot on the trail for another car or found some cheap land to buy and needed money.  I only assume that because he has done that many times throughout life and has been very successful at it.

From 1980 to 1988 my Dad owned the car.  He has installed new disc brakes from Stainless, new front ball joints, a 1957 Ford 9” rear-end, started to repaint the engine bay and was planning on creating a 1966 Shelby convertible such as Shelby himself was doing in the 1980’s.  My Dad took the parts car and made a car out of it.  He installed a V8, made it run and sold it to help finance the restoration on the convertible.  Unfortunately, my Dad decided to sell the car in 1988 to finance a business.  The thought was that he would sell the car and invest in the business.  The business would then succeed in time and he would buy a “better” Mustang convertible at a later date.  As life take’s different avenues this idea didn’t pan out the way it was thought out.  In 3 years the partnership in the business fizzled and my Dad was forced out of the business with little to nothing to show for it.  That chapter in life is not important to this story and will take several pages to describe.

In 1988 Jim purchased the car back from my Dad for $2,500.00.  Jim then began collecting NOS parts for it and had planned on restoring the car to original specifications.  Jim put the car in his 110x50 shop and as new parts came a long he would put them in the car for that day a restoration would happen.  Jim has collected almost everything for the car.  No work has happened on the car in Jim’s ownership but amassing such an impressive amount of NOS parts is a giant feat in itself. 

In about 1987 or early 1988 I was 5 or 6 years old.  We had lived in a split-level house with a two-car garage in town.  My Dad had his 1967 Mustang A code 4 speed fastback (bought in 1973 and still owns today) in the garage along side my Mom’s (then new) 1987 Thunderbird.  The 1966 Mustang convertible had to sit outside.  We had an alley behind the house that accessed a small parking area next to the backyard where the convertible sat next to my Dad’s 1964 Ranchero and 1978 F250.  As a youngster I was very active outside.  We had trees to climb, a basketball hoop and a giant grass yard to play in.  My parents were very firm with me and I learned at an early age that NO means NO without negotiation.  So naturally the project Mustang convertible was off limits for me.  At the time I didn’t really realize it was a Mustang or any particular type of car for that matter.  I didn’t know what kind of car it was.  All I knew was that I could not touch that car.  Years went by and at times my Dad would mention the car he had sold to Jim years ago.  As I grew up and became more interested with cars I became to realize what that car in the backyard really was.  Reviewing the family photo albums many times set an image of the car in my mind as a teenager.

In about 1998 I was just starting out in the car hobby.  A fresh 14-year-old with a 1968 Ranchero project it was time to start building a car for the day I turn 16.  My Dad and I spent many hours in the garage working on the Ranchero and many other old Fords.  My Dad was always buying and selling 1960’s and 1970’s Fords.  I was very fortunate to spend this time with my Dad gaining the mechanical ability that he has.  We have many memories and most of them are based on some particular car.  On occasion my Dad would mention that 1966 Mustang convertible that he once had.  My Dad always mentioned that he would like to buy it back someday and restore it.  Naturally as a youngster I thought, why not ask Jim if he will sell it.  In about 2000 Jim, My Dad, another friend Mike and I would go to the Turlock Swap Meet every year for a few years in a row.  I would ask Jim if the “ol’ Mustang” would be for sale.  Jim has a history of buying and selling just about anything.  Jim has dealt in land, tractors, cattle, produce, gold and automobiles.  So naturally my question to Jim about the sale of the car was a valid question.

For 18 years Jim said “no it is not for sale” until one day….   Jim finally said “Yes, I would sell it.  I don’t want to, but I will.”  I about fainted when he said yes.  My jaw hit the floor and I was amazed.  I had mentioned to Jim that I would like to buy it and then build it for my Dad.  My Dad now lives 125 miles away from me and I felt that this could happen.  Although I am not made of money so I know it would take a few years to get this car done on my own.  The question of how I would hide the car from my Dad over these years became a real problem.  Whenever my Dad comes to visit most of our conversations happen in the shop right where the car would be.  How could I hide that?  Would I lie and say it is another friend’s car and I am just storing it, but then again naturally he would recognize it…. right?   Would I hide it at a friend’s house, that would make it difficult to work on…..   Hmmm…. this idea isn’t as easy as it sounds unless of course I had endless amounts of money I could just hire a restoration shop to do the work, but that is out the question.   So, to fix this problem, I decided to get my Dad involved from the beginning.  Let’s buy it together and build it together!

My Dad and I went to look at a 1964 Thunderbird convertible that was for sale locally.  It was a very nice car and my Dad really wanted to buy it, but he really isn’t sold on the 1964 features.  He was really looking for a 1966.  So much to contemplate about this car, so there we were stuck in traffic on the way home, I decided to lay out my plan for the 1966 Mustang convertible.  I explained that Jim would sell the car and I have been working on this for 18 years and things were finally coming together.  My Dad was excited of the possibility to work on this car together.  He was a little undecisive at first, but just a few short miles down the road he was talking about details of the build, colors, wheels, transmission, and possible options.  The purchase of this car was looking bright. 

I contacted Jim and told him that my Dad and I would like to schedule a time that we could look at the car.  One may assume looking at car is easy, just drive over to the car and take a look, right?  Well, this car has been in the 110x50 building for about 30 years and has had 30 years of collecting parts put on top of it.  To say it simply the car was buried under parts.  We could not see the car in it’s present state.  Luckily winter is set in around here, so waiting until better weather is a good idea to get to the car and to view it in the cold shop.  During this time Jim was able to build shelves and reorganize the parts in order for us to view the car.  This also gave Jim a chance to take inventory of the 30 years of parts collecting.  After 30 years, so memory of certain parts fades away and Jim was surprised with some of the parts that he had collected but forgot about.

Waiting for the weather to get better didn’t work out as planned.  The day finally came to look at the car.  It was snowing and blowing like crazy.  The temperature never got above freezing, but there was no way I was about to reschedule.  It was the day and it was going to be fun.  We arrived at 10am and left at 4pm.  A good day of crawling all over the car.  This brought back many memories for Jim and My Dad.  They talked back and forth about different features of the car and why they were the way they were.  My Dad remembered doing some work to the car back in the early 80’s and had a reason why.  Jim remembered some of the parts he had collected and we laughed about what little he had paid for them compared to what people want for them on ebay today.  It was a great day.  For the 1980’s the car was in fair condition, but not great.  For 2018 the car is in great condition with no rust ever and no accidents ever.  With the selection of project cars today it is rather difficult to find a car so rust and accident free. 

A few days of negotiations and understanding what parts go with the car and which parts are extra a deal has been made!  My Dad and I are the proud new (returning) owners of a 1966 Mustang C-code 4 speed pony emberglo and parchment interior convertible.  We are very excited to get to work on this project.  Jim has allowed us to high-grade his used parts inventory and has set aside some of the NOS parts that we want to purchase at a later date.  This car will be a family heirloom and a great relationship strengthener with my Dad and I.  We are very excited to get it going and cruise with the top down with our wives.

Sorry for not being exactly Shelby related but I hope you still enjoy the story.  It is a “barn find”, but not really an unknown car.  The purchase price is fair, but not a bargain.  I think the term “barn find” is a little over-used, but oh well this is as close to one that I have ever had.

We have yet to pick up the car yet, but once winter is over we will have a better chance of getting the car out of the shop.  There are currently 3 other cars in it's way all with flat tires and 30++ years of parts stored on top of, under and around them to move.  It will be a while until we get it home, but for now it is safe and sound.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 01:16:15 PM by silverton_ford »

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: My "Barn Find"
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 01:13:03 PM »
A few more recent pictures.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 01:30:23 PM »
Brian,

Thanks for sharing.  I can pretty much speak for everyone on this forum, we are Ford fans and love to hear stories like this one.  I would give anything to go back in time and work on a father and son project with my old man.  That's the real jewel in this situation.  Please keep us posted on the progress. 

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »
great story.  thanks for sharing.  Good luck with the project.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
Brian,

Thanks for sharing.  I can pretty much speak for everyone on this forum, we are Ford fans and love to hear stories like this one.  I would give anything to go back in time and work on a father and son project with my old man.  That's the real jewel in this situation.  Please keep us posted on the progress.
+1.  Thanks for sharing and great project car to boot ;)

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 03:30:10 PM »
Great story............Can't wait to see the ongoing restoration
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 04:04:18 PM »
I am glad you posted your story . They are always good to hear ,Shelby related or not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 04:27:01 PM »
It's always neat to hear these stories about Shelby's (or Mustangs) that have crossed our paths. This one has a strong bond with your family.
Will it be going back to stock or the shelbyized route?

Emberglo is such a neat color.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 06:53:28 PM »
Everyone, Thank you for your warm remarks.  I really appreciate it.   ;D

Richstang - - That is a beautiful car in the photos.   Our car is actually the opposite of that one.  It is white exterior with emberglo/parchment pony interior.    I appreciate cars restored to concours, but that doesn't fit my Dad much.  In saying that the car will be restored to a day 2 configuration.  I will be the one worrying about date codes, paint dobs and overspray but I know my Dad not be too into that.  Interior and body will be stock, but the engine will probably have a Cobra Intake, Cobra valve covers and have the look of a K code engine.  We will have disc brakes up front and maybe a 9" rearend in the back, but nothing too out of control.

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 12:44:03 AM »
Wow, great story,

That is going to be a blast to do with your Dad. Beautiful white with that interior and fun options for the engine bay.

Meeting all the folks who help out with parts, suggestions, lunches and beers will all be there for you to enjoy for the rest of your days.

Sounds like your Dad likes to pour a little smoke off the rear tires too.

Thanks for sharing and congrats.

Pics along the way.

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 02:08:17 PM »
The car came home this weekend!   Let the work begin!   ;D

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 06:33:37 PM by silverton_ford »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 03:44:00 PM »
Brian ,I love your wall art in the first picture of reply #10. ;D It gave me a good idea ;) .
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:52:31 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 04:05:39 PM »
Brian ,I love your wall art in the first picture. ;D It gave me a good idea ;) .

;D  Thank you!  It is always changing and evolving.   ;D

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »
Nice ..Brian.... ;D

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 09:43:26 PM »
Brian ,I love your wall art in the first picture. ;D It gave me a good idea ;)
+1   I especially like the radiator shells above the '64 Galaxie grill  :)

TOB
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:31:23 PM by TOBKOB »
1969 GT350 owned since 1970