Author Topic: refinishing original rear leaf springs  (Read 1444 times)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
refinishing original rear leaf springs
« on: February 18, 2020, 01:09:07 PM »
 Is there a process that is called out anywhere  on restoring my rear leafs? I got Eaton ones on it now and put the originals away.I got the clamp set from Jim Cowles a while ago.  Thanks, Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: refinishing original rear leaf springs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 03:02:47 PM »
Is there a process that is called out anywhere  on restoring my rear leafs? I got Eaton ones on it now and put the originals away.I got the clamp set from Jim Cowles a while ago.  Thanks, Gary
Typically you start out with dissembling the leafs by taking the bands off. A few C clamps come in handy to clamp the leafs when taking the band clamps off and also when it comes time to put back on .For others reading Jim C. sells the correct looking 2 Shelby leaf  band clamps. The bottom leaf is bolted on . If you break or badly mar up the pin bolt then a replacement can be had from NPD. After disassembly inspect for cracks or if the front Eye bushing is bad . Many times they don't have to be replaced but if the rubber is badly cracked press out the eye bushing and replace. Bead blast ,sand blast what ever your preference the leafs to clean them off. There are a number of refinishing techniques.  They were a dark spring steel finish when new which looks like a very dark bluish gray. Many mistake the color and paint them black. They were not phosphate and oil ether although many refinish them that way too. One way is to go over them with gun bluing to give a similar looking finish. Another way is to paint them with a product like Eastwoods faux finish zinc phosphate spray paint. This product is strangely typically too dark for anything else on a Mustang /Shelby but very dark and similar to the spring finish. These are a few different ways that can be used. There are others. Which ever way you use to replicate the original finish you should coat the finish with a rust inhibitor product like Boe Shield or similar even the painted finish before re clamping.  Leafs will move and rub through the paint making that area susceptible to rust. This is a general run down of how things can be down . There are other ways.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 05:29:57 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 05:23:05 PM »
To add to Bob's great explanation here are just a few prior threads on the subject ;)

Used the search and the words "Rear leaf springs"

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=9265.msg77015#msg77015

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=9265.msg77015#msg77015

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=7872.msg65822#msg65822

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 11:18:39 AM »
Thanks Jeff and Bob. I started this thread on a recommendation for future use.  A few years ago I bought the correct clamps from Jim.  I have had the front bushings pressed out of leafs before and new ones installed. Easy process. There are many things I want to do to my vert to bring it up to the next level but they will have to wait for retirement so please be "kind" to my car if I bring it to the spring fling since it shows 20 years of wear since my last resto which was pretty correct due to having a good car to start with. I know what needs to be addressed and have most of the parts to do it. Bob, Jeff, do you know if a group 22 will be repoed? I got the tray(thanks to Ed) but a battery would look good in it. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »
. Bob, Jeff, do you know if a group 22 will be repoed? I got the tray(thanks to Ed) but a battery would look good in it. Gary

Unfortunately no :(
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 01:43:18 PM »
Thanks Jeff and Bob. I started this thread on a recommendation for future use.  A few years ago I bought the correct clamps from Jim.  I have had the front bushings pressed out of leafs before and new ones installed. Easy process. There are many things I want to do to my vert to bring it up to the next level but they will have to wait for retirement so please be "kind" to my car if I bring it to the spring fling since it shows 20 years of wear since my last resto which was pretty correct due to having a good car to start with. I know what needs to be addressed and have most of the parts to do it. Bob, Jeff, do you know if a group 22 will be repoed? I got the tray(thanks to Ed) but a battery would look good in it. Gary
When you bring it to the spring fling because of course that is a certainty  ;),we will as always try to be helpful.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby