Author Topic: Awaken your Ken Miles in you.  (Read 4594 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Awaken your Ken Miles in you.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2020, 02:27:46 PM »
+ 1

Yes and at that price the buyer likely wants a real 65 Shelby street car if one can be had in that range anymore. Or a Ferrari. Or Porsche GT2 or GT3RS. And so on and so forth.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2020, 02:29:44 PM »
I'd order mine with front turn signals. I don't get that omission.  Even Le Mans cars have turn signals do they not?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 02:32:07 PM »
You could probably “hide” leds pretty effectively in those bumper vents....

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 02:36:31 PM »

I wonder how many (if any) they've sold other than the demos.
Even in today's market I know of 65 GT-350s which  could be bought and brought to this spec for this money-or very closely thereabouts.

These OVC cars are very nice, very well done, gussied up Mustangs with illusory provenance. Why not own a real SFM5S with a clean SAI title that perhaps was never destined to be an auction queen?

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 02:48:02 PM »
+ 1

I wonder how many (if any) they've sold other than the demos.
Even in today's market I know of 65 GT-350s which  could be bought and brought to this spec for this money-or very closely thereabouts.

These OVC cars are very nice, very well done, gussied up Mustangs with illusory provenance. Why not own a real SFM5S with a clean SAI title that perhaps was never destined to be an auction queen?

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2020, 05:20:14 PM »
Agree.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Helmantel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 02:22:02 PM »
Did Peter Brock really design the IRS? As far as I know, it was developed at Ford by Klaus Arning and co.

"One of the cars will have a 9-inch fixed axle rear end. The other two will feature the pioneering Peter Brock-penned independent rear suspension system. Brock designed the IRS setup for the 1965 season, but the car won without it and it was not put into production at that time."

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 03:46:48 PM »
Did Peter Brock really design the IRS? As far as I know, it was developed at Ford by Klaus Arning and co.

"One of the cars will have a 9-inch fixed axle rear end. The other two will feature the pioneering Peter Brock-penned independent rear suspension system. Brock designed the IRS setup for the 1965 season, but the car won without it and it was not put into production at that time."

There are 3 IRS designs. Dwane Carling has the blue prints of the Ford design which I believe originally used a Salsbury (Cobra/Jaguar) pumpkin and is the Arnig design. That one actually had pin drive wheels designed for it that were held on with knock-off spinners designed to go with it simply by replacing the Mustang hubs.

He was selling copies of those and I think I bought a set and have them here? But where? Hum?

There is another that uses a shortened Mustang/Falcon banjo and 9" Ford pumpkin. I think that's the Brock design? I know that the "continuation R-models" have an add on option for the IRS.  Carling may be supplying those with the Ford pumpkin design. You need to inquire with Brock about that.

There is mention of the Green Hornet also having an IRS which Fred Godel said he designed for the car. That one was not on the car when it was discovered on a used car lot in Michigan and to the best of my knowledge that IRS was never recovered or the blue prints found, but that might be yesterdays news?

Vinman had a stack of blue prints from Ford I think at the NJ "Playboy Club" Convention and although I don't remember seeing them, could have been in that batch? I don't remember. I haven't thought about that in 30 years or so?

They are all similar in that they were intended to use the Mustang "pick up points" (spots where nut certs were installed in the unibody to mount the rear springs) so that they could be just bolted in, in place of the rear live axle and leaf springs.

They are an interesting piece of history but as you said, Brock was disappointed that the cars weren't faster by even a second with them installed.

Not having driven a car with them installed, I would have to think that the car likely rides better since the live axles can jounce the car around a bit over dips in the pavements. That kind of adds excitement at 130 mph though. ;D

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 04:01:44 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Helmantel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2020, 04:18:34 PM »
I seem to recall Carling was in one of the videos about these cars talking about the IRS, so assumed it was the Ford design that he has been offering. I can't tell from the picture, but it doesn't look like the center section is a shortened 9 inch. If I were to build an IRS, I'd use a Ford 8.8 IRS center section (as used in 90's Lincolns, Thunderbirds, Explorers, etc.)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2020, 04:59:32 PM »
I seem to recall Carling was in one of the videos about these cars talking about the IRS, so assumed it was the Ford design that he has been offering. I can't tell from the picture, but it doesn't look like the center section is a shortened 9 inch. If I were to build an IRS, I'd use a Ford 8.8 IRS center section (as used in 90's Lincolns, Thunderbirds, Explorers, etc.)

I don't know what configuration that is. It could be a 8.8 Ford or something else?

I was talking about what the three '60s designs were.

Very "neat" none the less?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 09:04:41 PM »
Destroying a REAL K code for this is completely ignorant.  I am tired of continuation cars. They should never be allowed in ANY registry. I don't consider them Shelbys. Shelby didn't build them. He couldn't license them from the grave. He's been dead since 2012.
I ran into someone with one of the Unique Performance cars at the recent Cars and Coffee. He kept talking about it being a Shelby. He got butt-hurt when I brought to light my car was built at Shelby American in Los Angeles. Not some hack in Farmer's Branch by prisoners on work-release.
Oops, sorry to burst your bubble.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2020, 09:07:03 AM »
Sacrificing a true K....heresy!

Destroying a REAL K code for this is completely ignorant.  I am tired of continuation cars. They should never be allowed in ANY registry. I don't consider them Shelbys. Shelby didn't build them. He couldn't license them from the grave. He's been dead since 2012.
I ran into someone with one of the Unique Performance cars at the recent Cars and Coffee. He kept talking about it being a Shelby. He got butt-hurt when I brought to light my car was built at Shelby American in Los Angeles. Not some hack in Farmer's Branch by prisoners on work-release.
Oops, sorry to burst your bubble.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy