News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

State titles

Started by RAYGEDDESPROTO751, March 15, 2020, 11:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAYGEDDESPROTO751

Do all States title Shelby's with Shelby number or Does the title in some States use Ford vin number as the vehicle ID ?

JD

Some use the Shelby and some use the Ford
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

68ShelbyKR

Indiana does both, depends on the agent at the DMV and whether they are having a good day or not.

I just bought a 68 KR from California and it was titled Ford.  When I went to title it in Indiana, I was adamant that it be titled Shelby Automotive.  I had them physically inspect the VIN and they had me fill out an affidavit attesting it was the same car as titled in California, but that it was titled in error.

Took a little bit of work, but it is now titled Shelby Automotive and to me it was worth it.

"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

I've always been asked, 'What is my favorite car?' and I've always said 'The next one.' - Carroll Shelby

SFM6S087

Quote from: RAYGEDDESPROTO751 on March 15, 2020, 11:31:45 PM
Do all States title Shelby's with Shelby number or Does the title in some States use Ford vin number as the vehicle ID ?

I only know about the 1965-66 cars. All states I'm aware of use the number on the Shelby VIN tag. Ex: SFM6S087. All the Ford numbers are hidden unless you start prying up fender lips. Some states do things "right" and list the manufacturer as Shelby American and the model as GT350. Some states list the manufacturer as Ford and the model as Mustang. It varies by the state and the individual that does the paperwork on a particular day. And there are odd variations like manufacturer of ShelAm and model as 2-dr hdtp.

I have a friend in a state that has an annual personal property tax. He goes out of his way to register his Shelby's as Ford Mustangs to keep the tax bill down.

Someone else can answer for the 1967 thru 70 cars.

Steve

Coralsnake

Certainly it depends on the year, but also the state and even individual DMV worker to determine what is going to be used.

FL SAAC

And some states use either Ford or Shelby.

Quote from: JD on March 16, 2020, 12:46:28 AM
Some use the Shelby and some use the Ford
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

mark p

in NJ it looks like you only get three letters for the Mfg....
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

roddster

It depends on who's wife, mother, aunt filled out the paperwork at the car dealer.  Most of them figured it was a Ford.

shelbymann1970

Well my 68 Shelby said "Shelby". My 70 when I titled it from a French title that said " SHELBY CABRIOLET" got titled as a FORD back in 1985. Tried to get it changed to no avail. Inconsistent in Michigan. My other 70 Shelby was titled as a SHELBY also. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Survivor

At the risk of sounding like a wise ass and only b/c the issue has not yet been presented, why complete the registration/title paperwork and pay the sales tax (typically based on current nada) noting the vehicles as a "Shelby" when you can, in most cases, accomplish the very same thing (and save thousands in the process) noting the car as a "Mustang-2 dr. Coupe/Convertible".  Depending on the particular state's process for registering/titling a vehicle, as long as the description in both the BOS and most recent proof of ownership (typically a registration from your seller) jive, you should have no issue with the latter option.  And, even if you do provide the Shelby vin on your paperwork, but then describe the vehicle as a Mustang, most rmv tellers are not sophisticated enough (or just don't care enough) to dig beyond the "Mustang" name/description on your BOS & prior reg.  I could argue, and have successfully, that the vehicle is actually a "Mustang".  Fine line-maybe, but savvy.  BTW-I'm not aware of any cases where negative repercussions have occurred down stream if/when you decide to sell-in fact, your buyer will be all smiles.  Of course, those hell bent on registering/titling their vehicle as a real deal "Shelby" will have no use for this post.  Cheers.

FL SAAC

EGO

Quote from: Survivor on March 17, 2020, 06:22:51 PM
At the risk of sounding like a wise ass and only b/c the issue has not yet been presented, why complete the registration/title paperwork and pay the sales tax (typically based on current nada) noting the vehicles as a "Shelby" when you can, in most cases, accomplish the very same thing (and save thousands in the process) noting the car as a "Mustang-2 dr. Coupe/Convertible".  Depending on the particular state's process for registering/titling a vehicle, as long as the description in both the BOS and most recent proof of ownership (typically a registration from your seller) jive, you should have no issue with the latter option.  And, even if you do provide the Shelby vin on your paperwork, but then describe the vehicle as a Mustang, most rmv tellers are not sophisticated enough (or just don't care enough) to dig beyond the "Mustang" name/description on your BOS & prior reg.  I could argue, and have successfully, that the vehicle is actually a "Mustang".  Fine line-maybe, but savvy.  BTW-I'm not aware of any cases where negative repercussions have occurred down stream if/when you decide to sell-in fact, your buyer will be all smiles.  Of course, those hell bent on registering/titling their vehicle as a real deal "Shelby" will have no use for this post.  Cheers.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Side-Oilers

To each his own, but...

My CA Shelby (purchased in 1982) had "SHELB" as the manufacturer on the title, and I saw no reason to change it.  Still have it that way.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Survivor

Again, it's a matter of preference for ea. owner-something I respect.  My intent was only to offer an option-and then, only if available after doing your due diligence. 

Don Johnston

When I acquired my 66 GT350 in 1983, it had "Shelby", not Ford listed.  I verified that with the DMV, which at the time had some people behind the counter that knew something about classic cars.  Anyway, the guy pointed out  Shelby American was listed in his records as the Manufacturer of Origin and had a manufacture code.  Over the years, I have assisted other owners of classic Shelby vehicles get Shelby instead of Ford  the title and registration, as well as insurance policies.  I do not recall the manufacturer code number but have it somewhere.  Maybe someone else here knows it. 8)

papa scoops

all the shelbys ive owned have had all different 'ford, Shelby, gt 350/500, cobra..." that isn't as important as the vin n the early cars (the ford one) even if you have our Shelby number, you can still get a new title with the ford number. I recommend doing this to prevent theft, its why we don't disclose the secret number.  all states vary , check with your local dmv. phred