Author Topic: Phil Remington..Road & Track  (Read 2565 times)

honker

• View Profile
Phil Remington..Road & Track
« on: March 05, 2020, 05:02:13 PM »
This might have been here on forum 1, but I thought I'd post it again, good write up on Remington, Road and Track, June 18th. 2013.

Mike

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a4708/features-magazines-features-the-life-of-phil-remington/?fbclid=IwAR13Um8AQ3bD6HF4O9kIW6LDvXOzt8jBsrKPdQTLbw9knB5LOn03KsVlBzA
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:03:45 PM by honker »

propayne

• View Profile
Re: Phil Remington..Road & Track
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 05:45:11 PM »
What a great article - thanks so much for the link.

The article mentions AAR's manager, Kathy Weida rushing out to greet Remington when they pull up to AAR.

Years ago I bought some left over Cougar items from AAR (decals, patches and a poster) and Kathy threw some extra in the envelope and wrote a nice little note to me.

Very cool -

- Phillip
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 08:46:55 PM by propayne »
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 05:55:58 PM »
Wow. What a great article. Thanks for sharing !!
Nothing beats a classic!

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 07:15:38 AM »
Colin is a really great writer. Much appreciated.

6s2055

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 11:36:20 AM »
Years back I met Phil thru a mutual friend at the Monterey Historics. That was the year Shelby’s were the mark.
His daughter was there and was amazed of how much fanfare was given to her dad! We all had lunch in my Motorhome and was so impressed  how humble and soft spoken he was. A cherished memory that I often reflect on.
While I throughly enjoyed Ford vs Ferrari, was disappointed more credit wasn’t given to Phill!

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 11:58:19 AM »
   Phil was one of those gifted people who could CREATE with his hands what his mind envisioned. Nothing was too tall of a task for him. Those around him knew how amazing he was and in later years CS gave him well deserved credit too.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 01:39:07 PM »
While I throughly enjoyed Ford vs Ferrari, was disappointed more credit wasn’t given to Phill!

Phil Remington deserved better - much better - than the obtuse caricature in the film.

IMHO the screen writers didn't know, or particularly care, who he really was. Guess they wanted a Jar Jar Binks character (See Star Wars) for laughs.

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 02:46:32 PM »
on the F V F, I'd read that the script writers struggled with who all they could "explore" for characters.  Given a 2 hour movie.....Ken and Shelby.  A bit of Ken's family.  And some of the cars. 
I told my wife who the character was supposed to be.  And told her I really doubted Rem EVER walked into Shelby's office and asked him to go shake their hands and "make people feel good about buying two Cobra's". 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 03:26:20 PM »
I'm in agreement with the above posts as to how Remington was portrayed in the film.

Mike

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 04:20:21 PM »
I'm in agreement with the above posts as to how Remington was portrayed in the film.

Mike

+1
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »
Great article. I think the days are forever gone when the engineer is more comfortable at the workbench with a tool in their hand than they are at the computer with a mouse in their hand. I hope I'm wrong.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 01:00:39 PM »
great article - thanks for posting
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird