News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Radiator cap

Started by Greg, February 23, 2020, 08:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Does anyone have a picture of the proper assembly line radiator cap for a 65 or 66 GT350?

Thanks...
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Brant

Quote from: Greg on February 23, 2020, 08:32:55 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the proper assembly line radiator cap for a 65 or 66 GT350?

Thanks...

The reproductions that we have are spot on.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Greg

Bob Gaines

Some but not all of the originals have the pound rating turned in a different direction which is one way to tell a repro from genuine .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Greg on February 24, 2020, 07:25:56 AM
Is this one a repop?

Believe that one was being sold as NOS on ebay?  If so, looks like an earlier part or possibly a generic Ford replacement/service part.  Wouldn't be correct for 65-66.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

gt350hr

+1 ,
      I have had numerous NOS 65-66 radiator caps over the years and the "San Jose" version is like the one in Brant's picture. Stant Manufacturing did them and the whole cap was "industrial" chrome plated.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

maxjets

SFM6S135

gt350hr

Quote from: Greg on February 24, 2020, 07:25:56 AM
Is this one a repop?

Dearborn or Metuchen because of the non chrome plated rivet. Well IMHO anyway, Bob , Charles or Jeff might feel differently.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Dan Case

I have only two chrome plated cap data points. The original cap I removed from SFM5S142 early in 1980 (leaked slowly) and a new old stock cap from a "COBRA" dress up kit. The surface texture of the  cap from SFM5S142 is rougher than the cap from the accessory parts channel.

Just as a different data point, this is an original cap still in use on an excellent unrestored Cobra. This Cobra was completed in 1963. This cap model was used in Cobras with Ford-McCord coolant expansion tanks from about CSX2141 onward 1963-1965. Caps exactly like this, original ones, have been much tougher to hunt down for me than the chrome plate model.

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Bob Gaines

I see the pressure  number reversed from one compared the other. If both are known originals as you say then that pressure number orientation may indicate it was randomly stamped given they are both from the same MFG.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

The s m co   pat# is clocked differently also in dans pic.

Jbarela

interesting to see the variation. My NOS cap is has the writing clocked like Dans original but the 14 is oriented like the one from the cobra kit, but clearly the font for the 14 and the smco matches Dans original.

DRGT350

this one is going on 5s296 - was represented as original assembly line cap...

Dave

Bob Gaines

Here is a picture of a repro that Mart offers from his website for comparison.