News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Rear disc brake conversion for 14" wheels

Started by Fair67, February 24, 2020, 07:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 11, 2020, 03:31:30 AM
I don't have many miles on the car post the build. They may hold better as they are more contoured to the drum. Brake shoe linings are becoming far and few between for older cars and no one arches them anymore. Quality linings in a riveted format are the least common. I don't care for bonded linings.

The narrower (1-3/4") are simpler to get to work. The wider you go, the more they seem to not want to sit flat within the drum. Stock soft linings seem to work right out of the box. The hard "metallic" linings are very difficult to seat since the rear of the car takes so little braking percentage wise.

In that sense, the rear discs are actually easier to set up.

I actually had a Ford van that lost one of the rear wheels because of the linings pushing the drum outward. I'm not a friend of rear drums. They need too much intense concentration to get them right.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

Well, not to mention you really should stay on top of adjustments. I  know they are supposed to self-adjust when you back up and step on the brakes but I would rather just pull the plugs and listen for a slight drag. It takes a lot more effort to spin the wheels with a locker or trac lok.

shelbydoug

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 11, 2020, 08:19:33 AM
Well, not to mention you really should stay on top of adjustments. I  know they are supposed to self-adjust when you back up and step on the brakes but I would rather just pull the plugs and listen for a slight drag. It takes a lot more effort to spin the wheels with a locker or trac lok.

Ford 9" rears are not that easy to adjust the drag on. Lots of variables including what gears are in there. I can't "hear" drag and I have difficulty in determining what the drag I feel is from.
Self adjusters are an alien device from another universe. They don't belong here.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Cobrask8

I did the big drum brake conversion on my 69 428 SCJ Mach 1. Also used early Galaxie stuff, but found F-100 & F150 parts were a direct change. The backing plate and basics came from the early Ford.

On my FFR Cobra track car, I use the 1994-95 Mustang rear calipers & rotor. There are kits to adapt to the 9" Ford housing. Parking brake works great on the Ford caliper,and pad change is quick with the proper rotating tool. Since it is predominately a track car, I get the hi-perf pads, and can mechanically bias the brakes for more stopping bite by choosing pad material.

Yes, this Shelby will only be a street car, but alternate ideas and information is always helpful

Dan

shelbydoug

Yep. Excellent setup but requires some patience to get the drag just right.

Hard to find old timers to ask now and considering I'm the old timer in a lot of respects and have to hide from the guys in the white jackets with the butterfly nets, that gets disturbing? ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

I agree. It takes a keen ear. I adjusted the right side to the point It wouldn't turn. I had to get a screw driver and push the adjuster lever out so I could spin the adjuster back.  The brakes on this vehicle have a backing plate bearing spacer. I had a hell of a time figuring out what parts fit these brakes. The 11.090 X 2.5 are what works. So the the 63-66 bird brakes are what they are. The later large bearing housings offer more options than the earlier small bearing axles.