News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

getting p.o.ed

Started by papa scoops, February 25, 2020, 12:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfoot

I like the contact cement idea.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

gt350shelb

if you dont need to have cork   felpro makes  black  rubber gaskets  ( mine have been glued) to the covers since  1996 and dont leak and have been on and off dozens of times.
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

rkm

Mr. Gasket still good? cork with impregnated rubber. Best of both worlds.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rkm on February 27, 2020, 08:24:44 AM
Mr. Gasket still good? cork with impregnated rubber. Best of both worlds.
If you are concerned about what they looked like in 1966 then not good . If you are more about function and not originality then yes they are good. This topic is more for those trying to replicate a historical look.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

Anybody got a photo of the OEM gasket as I got a bunch of original ford valve cover gaskets in my inventory that don't have packages ID.  Many came from Detroit area years ago probly lunch pail parts and many have the silver paint.

alexgt350h

Ed, I can bring up a 289 valve cover for a trial fit if you need.
Brent

JohnHouston

These are outtakes from the Sports Car Graphic article on #598.  The left cover appears to have a tab sneaking out at the front.  The right appears to have some black around it.  Hope this helps a little.

John

6s1640

Quote from: JohnHouston on March 12, 2020, 05:41:32 PM
These are outtakes from the Sports Car Graphic article on #598.  The left cover appears to have a tab sneaking out at the front.  The right appears to have some black around it.  Hope this helps a little.

John

Is that an all steel hood on this SCG article?  Looks like it with the port hole underneath hood scoop.

Cory

NC TRACKRAT

A C4 with a MICO, too.
5S071, 6S1467

The Going Thing

We had the discussion about the rubber with cast covers. They leak.  I have used cork and only had an issue with the last set where the head meets the intake. Issue was resolved by a little Ford silicone. I just went back to cork. The tack adhesive as posted Is messy. I just spray the cork with the 3M spray adhesive. Give it about five and stick it to the valve cover. be sure they are completely clean and dry on the gasket rail.

papa scoops

my problem is not the leaking, or type of material (I have some old ford stock gaskets) on the am rubber ones, some of the holes aren't even close to fitting, off by as much as 1/2 inch. I suppose I could strech or shrink and glue, but....also, the wire loom hold downs 2 on left side only? blue? thanks. phred.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: papa scoops on March 14, 2020, 01:00:12 PM
my problem is not the leaking, or type of material (I have some old ford stock gaskets) on the am rubber ones, some of the holes aren't even close to fitting, off by as much as 1/2 inch. I suppose I could strech or shrink and glue, but....also, the wire loom hold downs 2 on left side only? blue? thanks. phred.
Typically 2 on left side . 65-68 are typically unpainted. It is more common to see some blue painted ones on later 69/70 Shelby's but even then unpainted are most typical.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

papa scoops

hertz350

What color is correct for both parts of the fuel line bracket at the water pump?

Thanks.
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

Bob Gaines

Quote from: hertz350 on February 10, 2021, 03:30:15 PM
What color is correct for both parts of the fuel line bracket at the water pump?

Thanks.
The bracket was on engine when it was painted . The clip was added late . The clip is made of unfinished spring steel. A gun blued finish is the best way for me to describe it.