Author Topic: Original Nocturne  (Read 3798 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Original Nocturne
« on: February 25, 2020, 11:54:34 PM »
Something I began writing last Friday night.  Finished it this morning before racing to work.  Had a good idea for an ending this morning from an ending I absolutely disliked last night.  Sometimes it's good to sleep on an idea.  For anything I might add. I had thought of putting pictures of my dad's Boss 302 LS to this music but it didn't fit. That would need a gritty heavy metal tune to it. I happen to love heavy metal and hard rock as well. Haven't learned to write in that method yet. Someday maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFKixt_7lX8
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:01:43 AM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Original Nocturne
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 10:29:34 AM »
Steven Tyler (Steve Tolerico) of Aerosmith says that Rock & Roll is all about attitude.

You could probably get some 'Rockers' to even Rock 'score' Beethoven by adding a full set of drums, dual lead guitars, and a heavy bass?

I remember a story Don Kershner told about Jim Croche. He was Croches's Producer and said Jim was somewhat of a genius but couldn't do the first thing about "scoring" his own music.

Don claimed that it is all his on the recordings that we know.

Genius is often very focused on too narrow of a perspective. Perhaps that's your issue?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 12:12:52 PM »
Definitely rock and heavy metal is about the sound and distortion.  Beethoven or Mozart could certainly be rocked out.  I am learning the modes of composition at the moment. Dorian and so on that gives a different feel. I have a synthesizer at home. I could get on that and get some lead guitar distortion going. I should have joined a band decades ago. I chose law instead. Who knows if I chose wisely. Either way I am enjoying writing on the Steinway. Thanks for listening.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 01:35:38 PM »
Definitely rock and heavy metal is about the sound and distortion.  Beethoven or Mozart could certainly be rocked out.  I am learning the modes of composition at the moment. Dorian and so on that gives a different feel. I have a synthesizer at home. I could get on that and get some lead guitar distortion going. I should have joined a band decades ago. I chose law instead. Who knows if I chose wisely. Either way I am enjoying writing on the Steinway. Thanks for listening.

I always preferred melody from a "keyboard" if not a piano. My sons don't appreciate that.

One's a drummer, the other bass guitar. I can lend then to you if you want but be warned, the amp on 11 draws a lot of current. You need to be prepared.

Personally I like lyrics. Paul Simon once said, I think sarcastically, the hard part is the music. Yea, right Paul.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 02:28:46 PM »
I always dreamed about being a hard rock guitarist. I settled in on the piano over the years. Would be fun to jam with your sons. So little time just to do solo work on the piano in the evenings though. I'm learning Mozart's Rondo in D major first movement thinking of taking my grade 10 exam which puts me in line to get my degree in music through the Royal Conservatory. If time permits. That is a very involved exam.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 04:41:07 PM »
I always dreamed about being a hard rock guitarist. I settled in on the piano over the years. Would be fun to jam with your sons. So little time just to do solo work on the piano in the evenings though. I'm learning Mozart's Rondo in D major first movement thinking of taking my grade 10 exam which puts me in line to get my degree in music through the Royal Conservatory. If time permits. That is a very involved exam.

Well, Matt is the more patient of the two and the younger. He was in a "Salsa band" for awhile. He had this big handle bar mustache and looked like the Friedo Bandido.

Mike is the drummer. You need to be careful who you stand next to at the concerts. He likes to throw drumsticks at people he thinks are harassing the band. Those SOB's hurt if he nails you?

When he was 16 he was invited by a band called Thursday to go to Europe on tour as a backup drummer. I didn't even need to tell him no. He said, "I have no money, I can't go". Just as well. I wouldn't be able to afford re-hab for him?

They are both in their "terrible 30's" now and no longer play in a band. They used to practice here in the basement and the entire house would vibrate.

Combined with that, my power tools, the exhausts from my cars and two exploding tires, it's a wonder I can still hear at all? What? Did you just say something? Look at me please, I can read lips.  ;D

Can't you just put on headphones and play the keyboard on your laptop on the plane?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 08:43:25 PM »
That would be amusing if some symphony used an animatronic of Yoda to play Beethoven.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 10:39:34 PM »
Again just an outstanding performance this could be the start of a renewal in the cultural world... may become a grand piano concerto.

Bravisimo!

Something I began writing last Friday night.  Finished it this morning before racing to work.  Had a good idea for an ending this morning from an ending I absolutely disliked last night.  Sometimes it's good to sleep on an idea.  For anything I might add. I had thought of putting pictures of my dad's Boss 302 LS to this music but it didn't fit. That would need a gritty heavy metal tune to it. I happen to love heavy metal and hard rock as well. Haven't learned to write in that method yet. Someday maybe

Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 07:44:25 AM »
Again just an outstanding performance this could be the start of a renewal in the cultural world... may become a grand piano concerto.

Bravisimo!

I could attempt to expand it out. But it seems to want to be a short self contained piece. I will attempt to write something more lengthy next one. Thanks for listening, Tony.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 07:51:31 AM »
Where are the lyrics?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 09:53:41 AM »
Presentation is also important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKC7aJ3kIRo

If you can't feel this, check your pulse. You might be dead? ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 09:55:48 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 10:00:29 AM »
Groovy baby...the unforgettable Dick Shawn L.S.D.

Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 11:06:39 AM »
Groovy baby...the unforgettable Dick Shawn L.S.D.

Many of the younger here never heard of him. This video should be a shining example of how lyrics and presentation effect the melody?

After all, what's a melody without lyrics?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 11:43:57 AM »

Anything can be rocked out! Dorian mode is widely used by famous rock guitarists, might be Carlos Santana's favorite. Use it a lot in my own playing, although I can never get it to sound the same as him...
Dave - 6S1757