News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Mustangs Unlimited

Started by stephen_becker, February 27, 2020, 07:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6R07mi

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on March 02, 2020, 06:32:08 AM
I first started dealing with the T-bird parts store in Livonia Mi  4 decades ago that was then bought out by NPD. I have been fortunate that NPD is LOCAL to me .............

Gary,
  I was the 1st employee of Gary Bassett ( owner of T-Bird Parts Store ), and talked him into getting into the Mustang market as we saw the 2 seater T-Bird market had matured into slow growth.

Gary had been a buyer at Ford and still had connections with folks in the supply chain.
Thru George Shirf (sp) we found the shop in Plymouth that still had Ford's 67 shelby mold tooling and other such finds.
It was an exciting time in the emerging business, and looking back many missed opportunities !

regards,
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

TOBKOB

QuoteAll those concourse divisions are nothing but the sign how much money you have and are willing to spend on car. 

I must respectfully disagree with you. I can't speak for any one but myself but I don't have loads of cash. What I did have was a desire to have my Shelby restored to the highest standard that I could afford and attain. It has been a part of my family for 50 years (my 1st born) and she deserved no less. I'm sure that there are some very wealthy people who do as you state but I'd be willing to bet there are more folks like me that just want the best that they are able to have. My Shelby would have been a great unrestored car but like a dummy I disassembled it in the early 80's and then I found how expensive it is to restore a car so it went into storage until my children were grown and college paid for. Then I saved until I could afford to complete the restoration.
Sorry for the rant but I couldn't resist... :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 6R07mi on March 02, 2020, 01:37:59 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on March 02, 2020, 06:32:08 AM
I first started dealing with the T-bird parts store in Livonia Mi  4 decades ago that was then bought out by NPD. I have been fortunate that NPD is LOCAL to me .............

Gary,
  I was the 1st employee of Gary Bassett ( owner of T-Bird Parts Store ), and talked him into getting into the Mustang market as we saw the 2 seater T-Bird market had matured into slow growth.

Gary had been a buyer at Ford and still had connections with folks in the supply chain.
Thru George Shirf (sp) we found the shop in Plymouth that still had Ford's 67 shelby mold tooling and other such finds.
It was an exciting time in the emerging business, and looking back many missed opportunities !

regards,
jim p
Thanks for the history Jim. I was bummed when they moved NPD from Livonia to Canton but the drive isn't that much further from Novi. By any chance did you know Mike Michalski? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)