News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966 GT350 in National Geographic

Started by SFM66H, February 28, 2020, 11:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM66H

I was recently thumbing thru an old issue of The Shelby American and ran across this photo.
My first reaction was,"Hey, a 1966 GT 350 with dash lights that work!"

I reacted to the photo that way because of how my fellow 1966 owner friends and I have lamented over the years about how incredibly dim our dash and tach lights are. But this photo sure goes against that grain. So I kidded them to start digging thru their old National Geographics because I had never seen the actual photo myself:

Sure enough, George Watters responded right away that not only had he cut the photograph out of his February 1968 issue, but that he still had it and would send it to me to scan! He did so, and here it is:

We all started discussing it, and came up with some observations. George & I agreed that the speedometer reads about 50 mph, and that the tachometer reads about 2200 rpm. Steve calculated that with a 6.95 x 14 tire, that comes up with a rear end gear ratio number of about 3.31. Given that that the instrument needle readings in the photo are approximate, that points to it being a 3.50 gear ratio, and thus most likely is a C4 automatic car. Denny theorized that the driver's hands are in positions that seem more likely suited to driving an automatic, as one's right hand may be on the shifter if it was a four speed.

I of course wondered if it was a Hertz car, but we can't see the color of the car/stripes or if a Hertz warning sticker is on the dash somewhere. We all commented on the rear view mirror! That had to have been changed due to the type of photograph they wanted to portray. Also, George adds that the I-10 runs east & west, starting somewhere around Santa Monica.

So, the whole re-discovery of this photo and subsequent discussions and observations of it were really fun. It would be even more fun is someone here knows "photographer Jonathan Blair" and he could comment on this (now famous!) photo.

Kieth
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

s2ms

Cool photo Kieth!

Probably a Hertz based on the redline indicator, they didn't want renters to exceed 3K RPM...
Dave - 6S1757

SFM66H

Dave - good eye! I forgot to mention that we laughed about the position of the red line needle too!
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

deathsled

I love that photo! It should be turned into a painting. It possesses a certain introspection about it. Like reflecting upon one's own life moving forward at speed into the uncertain future. I really like it. Thanks for sharing, Kieth.

Best,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

6s1640

Quote from: s2ms on February 28, 2020, 11:38:36 AM
Cool photo Kieth!

Probably a Hertz based on the redline indicator, they didn't want renters to exceed 3K RPM...

Hi Dave,

What kind of new urban legend are you try to start?  How to ID a Hertz car with the tach redline set a 3 grand?  I am not convinced, but I suppose it is possible.

Interesting

Cory

gt350hr

"Bottom logo " tach means it's after 700ish
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

deathsled

He is a Shelby scientist, postulating an interesting theory.

Side-Oilers

Cool shot.  I would guess that the unique positioning of the driver's hands is due to wanting a well-balanced photo design.

Plus, because the driver was the photog, he probably would have burned through a brick of Ektachrome to get a few decent shots...while steering through LA traffic at night.

Ektachrome  had a slightly higher ASA than Kodachrome, but sharp night-action shots (undoubtedly with E4 due to the 1968 time period) having good depth of field, from inside a moving car, while driving, isn't the easiest thing to achieve. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

I think a skull reflected back at him in the mirror would be super cool. Put it to paint I say.

NC TRACKRAT

But let's get back to the initial comment about the brighter instrument lights.  Does anyone remember them being that bright when the cars were new? 
5S071, 6S1467

6s1640

Could be the long exposure to get all the traffic lights to blur and streak that is making the dash lights brighter.

Cory

deathsled

Further aside. Was photo originally black and white or color? Now back to NCtrackrat's question. I join. Were they that bright when new?

Quote from: 6s1640 on February 28, 2020, 01:47:43 PM
Could be the long exposure to get all the traffic lights to blur and streak that is making the dash lights brighter.

Cory

My first thought as well. Now how did they keep them from being blurry from all the vibrations caused by driving ?

JD

if the camera was on a short tripod, or other solid base, on the rear seat fold-down the camera and the car are on the same "oscillations" (not hand held) and the road looks pretty smooth, just a thought...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Rocket

As best as I remember, the dash lights on 550 were pretty bright at night. When I lived in Utah,1969, and drove back and forth to Texas, I do not remember them being dim. l made that trip several times, all at night. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.