News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Alignment specs after Shelby drop

Started by Dalton, February 29, 2020, 12:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: Dalton on March 12, 2020, 08:06:50 PM
I think the package tray looks great! Nice, clean look.

Thanks but it isn't my design. It shows in the "illustrations" of the later cars so it probably was always a thought.

If you are going to do it, the originals are molded plastic and only appeared in a few of the first "66 carryover cars". There were problems with them in that if left in the sun, they would become extra soft and floppy, almost to the point of melting.

You don't really want a '65 panel with the mold for the spare tire. It's for a really skinny 15" tire. Almost nothing will fit into the thing.

The panel that you really want is a fiberglass 66 repro panel. It's got the reinforcing ribs molded into it and a lip on the front to stock stuff from sliding forward. It's a very easy drop in and you don't even need to bolt it down.

I did. I don't like anything flying around in the car in a crash and apparently I am very vain? I want the rescuers to find my body intact with no dismembered parts to search for.

My back seat is just in storage and goes with the car to the next caretaker sometime after I demise.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Dalton

I don't plan on doing it since my kids are 7 and 4, but I would look into it if they didn't love riding in "Snake Car" so much.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Dalton on March 13, 2020, 10:55:02 AM
I don't plan on doing it since my kids are 7 and 4, but I would look into it if they didn't love riding in "Snake Car" so much.

It's your choice. I consider putting anyone back there "cruel and inhuman punishment". Both of my kids survived without a back seat and now are well and kicking in their "terrible 30's". You have a ways to go still.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mikeh

Will the 66 package tray fit in a 69? I don't let anyone sit in the back seat anyhow and losing the weight of the fold down assy would be a bonus!!
And who makes/carries them?

Thanks in advance, Mike

shelbydoug

Quote from: mikeh on March 13, 2020, 04:30:39 PM
Will the 66 package tray fit in a 69? I don't let anyone sit in the back seat anyhow and losing the weight of the fold down assy would be a bonus!!

Thanks in advance, Mike

I'm not 100% positive but I think that the fold down rear seat assemblies are the same except for the upholstery.

Try Tony Branda. He carries a lot of fiberglass parts.

http://www.cobranda.com/19shresh.html
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mikeh

Thanks, looks like Branda does carry.  I would like to hear from anyone that knows whether it would fit a 69, I will check with them also. Guess I should start a new thread.

Much appreciated!!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 13, 2020, 05:25:01 PM
Quote from: mikeh on March 13, 2020, 04:30:39 PM

Thanks in advance, Mike

I'm not 100% positive but I think that the fold down rear seat assemblies are the same except for the upholstery.

Try Tony Branda. He carries a lot of fiberglass parts.

http://www.cobranda.com/19shresh.html
The fold down rear seat assemblies are the same except for the upholstery and some trim.Logically it should fit the same although I have never seen that modification done on a 69/70 Shelby - ever ,hint,hint ,nudge ,nudge ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mikeh

Well you probably will now, but I'm sure you are not surprised by that Bob! At least not by who you're dealing with!  ;D

shelbydoug

The panel is intended to replace the seat assembly. If the seat assemblys are all the same, then the panel will fit. I thought that was pretty clear?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

S7MS427

I agree, the rear seat dimensions are all the same.  It should pretty much be a drop in.  The originals were rivited to the interior fiberglass quarter panels.  Not wanting to desicrate my virgin inner quarters, I build a couple of brackets out of aluminum extrusion.  The brackets were screwed in to the fold down hinge.  Two oval head Phillips screws and finishing washers (hardware store stuff) per side hold the tray to the brackets.  The only thing else I did was to fabricate a block and attach it to the rear lip of the tray (centered of course) to keep the rear trap door from rattling around.  I got my tray from Branda. You can see the finished result on my G.T.500 opening page on my website.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

mikeh

The Going Thing

I like the looks of the tray, but considering I'm well over 500 HP I can't afford to lighten the car up. Especially over the rear axle. So the extra 80lbs of fold down will have to remain. No one has ever sat in the rear seat since I've owned the car. However, the fold down has a crass name for a justified reason. Damn, I'd love to be in my late 20's again.

shelbydoug

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 17, 2020, 08:58:22 AM
I like the looks of the tray, but considering I'm well over 500 HP I can't afford to lighten the car up. Especially over the rear axle. So the extra 80lbs of fold down will have to remain. No one has ever sat in the rear seat since I've owned the car. However, the fold down has a crass name for a justified reason. Damn, I'd love to be in my late 20's again.

20's? Why? Put a couple of "whahenies" back there and watch them jiggle? Hum?

Take the seat out, put a couple of battery boxes in the trunk with "ballast" in them. Lead shot works well. You don't need it for you shotgun shells do you?  :)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

All I have currently Doug is a 50lb bag of OO buck here. I guess if they came out, the pea-sized shot would be much easier to clean up than birdshot.
I got really pissed off when I dumped half a cup of coffee. The plug came out of the Starbucks. No cup holder and a four-speed transmission.....

I was so pissed off that while using the spot bot to clean up the coffee I got my arm tangled up in the shoulder harness. 

I don't want a drop-in console but I need something that will hold a couple of cups of coffee.

shelbydoug

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 17, 2020, 10:17:54 AM
All I have currently Doug is a 50lb bag of OO buck here. I guess if they came out, the pea-sized shot would be much easier to clean up than birdshot.
I got really pissed off when I dumped half a cup of coffee. The plug came out of the Starbucks. No cup holder and a four-speed transmission.....

I was so pissed off that while using the spot bot to clean up the coffee I got my arm tangled up in the shoulder harness. 

I don't want a drop-in console but I need something that will hold a couple of cups of coffee.

Are you referring to a female companion? Go to Vegas. I understand the strippers are easily influenced. Find a country girl that has no problem with the shotgun....just don't tell the wife? Mine can shoot too. She knows just how much to lead when you run. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!