News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Conversion from Automatic to 4-speed and maybe back to Automatic

Started by eric lipper, March 05, 2020, 07:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric lipper

The best I can figure is that my GT500 was converted from an automatic to a 4-speed at the Ford dealer about a year after the original sale.  I don't have any paperwork for the conversion but I have a nasty letter from the original owner to the Ford dealer, written in December of 1968, complaining that the clutch failed and how disappointed he was with the "transmission job" and the response from the service manager stating that they will pay for the tow and put in a new clutch.  I think that at least gives me pretty good evidence that the dealer converted it because why else would they do a clutch for free especially in a car that originally had an automatic.  I don't know if it was done with 67 parts or 68 parts but crawling around under the car it looks "correct".  It is a very good car otherwise, was red, was restored with almost all original parts, and had factory AC that actually works.  Bob Gaines is presently restoring my air cleaner top which is why I have a reproduction top in the photo.  I like the car as a 4-speed but if I wanted to put it back to OEM anyone know where I could get the parts?  I would only do it if the parts were all correct but it might be a fun project to do.
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

Bob Gaines

Quote from: eric lipper on March 05, 2020, 07:28:59 AM
The best I can figure is that my GT500 was converted from an automatic to a 4-speed at the Ford dealer about a year after the original sale.  I don't have any paperwork for the conversion but I have a nasty letter from the original owner to the Ford dealer, written in December of 1968, complaining that the clutch failed and how disappointed he was with the "transmission job" and the response from the service manager stating that they will pay for the tow and put in a new clutch.  I think that at least gives me pretty good evidence that the dealer converted it because why else would they do a clutch for free especially in a car that originally had an automatic.  I don't know if it was done with 67 parts or 68 parts but crawling around under the car it looks "correct".  It is a very good car otherwise, was red, was restored with almost all original parts, and had factory AC that actually works.  Bob Gaines is presently restoring my air cleaner top which is why I have a reproduction top in the photo.  I like the car as a 4-speed but if I wanted to put it back to OEM anyone know where I could get the parts?  I would only do it if the parts were all correct but it might be a fun project to do.
Here is some information on how a dealer installed option is typically viewed by the major Mustang /Shelby concours venues. A car that has a dealer installed modification done before the first customer takes delivery with reasonable evidence is accepted in various Mustang /Shelby concours venues. Typically after the fact may be interesting history but not considered original. For example in a I had a entrant one year in concours with a 67 GT500 who had a dealer installed 427 engine. The problem was the dealer paperwork indicated the work was done at the dealer in 1976 instead of before delivery in 1967 . The line in the sand has been set before the first owner takes delivery. Regardless of if 9 days after the fact or 9 years after the fact in the example it is relative the same difference because it was done after the car was delivered . Interesting history to be sure but not considered original. I think 4 speed GT500's are typically easier to sell in many cases then autos even on non original trans cars IMHO . The 67 GT500 C6 is nothing special so it will be much easier to find then say one for a CJ car. The hardest thing to source is the correct special competition suspension Ford modified automatic shifter mechanism which is like hens teeth to find. To a lesser extent is sourcing is the C7 marked shifter linkage to trans rod.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby