Author Topic: Why everyone on this site should have a fire extinguisher in their car  (Read 7949 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Why everyone on this site should have a fire extinguisher in their car
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 10:57:21 AM »
Using sniffer to check for leaks;

mr68shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »
And definitely splurge for the Halon or Halon replacement type. A dry chemical type will put out a fire, but you are going to spend forever cleaning up after it has been used.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 01:27:12 PM »
Always make sure ur insurance is current!
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 01:53:15 PM »
Anyone have suggestions how to mount without doing any cutting or drilling?  Thank you.

Think they are available commercially but have seen mounts built that use the front two seat mounting studs as anchor points as the extinguisher is located just in front of the forward of the seat edge. You choice driver or passenger.

Chances are that a fire such as shown in the video would not be stopped by one of the typical fire extinguishers we see people carrying in their vehicles but if it makes you feel better..... at least you can try

Make sure you have good insurance

Odd sounding siren for a English fire unit. Crew is slow and didn't even bring tools such as a Kelly or other pry tool to get access to the fire initially.  ::)

Hard to watch
Spoken like a true retired fireman. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 02:08:30 PM »
I have an automatic Halon system in one my vehicles.
I have a manual built in Halon system to install in my car as it goes back together. You can get automatic ones also from Marine supply houses. Halon is effective and clean but don't breath it and don't set it off while the vehicle is still moving since you'll drive out of the Halon cloud and it won't work.
Biggest problem with dry powder extinguishers in cars is that the powder compresses from the vibration and bumps. Take it out every couple months and shake it up to keep the powder loose.
Use a metal mount - in a severe crash the plastic one will probably fail then you have a 5 pound club flying around the car.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 02:46:16 PM »
I still have the same one in my '67 since 1977. I suppose I should get a new one. The gauge says it's good, then again, the gauge could be stuck.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 02:50:43 PM by jguyer »
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »
I'd get it tested or replaced.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 02:54:24 PM »
A nice fire extinguisher costs so little compared to the lose you can suffer, I almost cried watching that video  :-[
I keep one in the car and one in the trailer. Always check them every year
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 05:47:46 PM »
Wow, I found this extremely hard to watch. Guess I will go check the extinguisher that came in my car to make sure it is good to go!
65 GT350

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 06:08:32 PM »
I still have the same one in my '67 since 1977. I suppose I should get a new one. The gauge says it's good, then again, the gauge could be stuck.

Likely dry chem and the powder will be caked like a rock at the bottom (depending on how it was stored) This style needs to be "shaken" up at least once a year to make sure that all of the product will be available for use or you will just get pressurized air when you activate it.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 06:48:29 PM »
lamborghini miura's  are  extremely flammable   due to the  12 weber stacks inside  the air box /  You learn  not to pump the gas pedal  with these cars    if they  cough back it  loads the air filters with fuel and  the previous video  is the result.  All restorations I was involved with included an on board system  plumbed right into the air box . "Very cheap insurance" 

Keeping an eye on ALL fuel connections is mandatory protocol around here  every time car is started.       
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 10:45:18 AM »
A number of years ago, I pulled into work very early in the morning and just before exiting the car I could smell smoke and saw that there must have been a short in the under dash wiring. I was very thankful to have my fire extinguisher right beside me in the car. I had a little mess to clean up, a tow to the shop and relatively small cost to trace all the problems and get them fixed.

Be sure to maintain them in good working order.

68stangcjfb

• SAAC Member
  • Long Island New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 11:17:27 AM »
A habit to get out of at car shows would be to put the fire extinguisher under one of the front tires. The first reason is that probably 90% of the fires start under the hood ( the other 10% probably being behind the dash) and you can't get to the fire extinguisher with flames shooting out. The second reason is that some people forget they have the fire extinguisher under the tire and run over it like they did at Niagara Falls 2 years ago at the MCA show and covered the car next to him and my car next to that with dry chemical. The MCA no longer allows fire extinguishers under the tires because of this incident.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:16:04 PM by 68stangcjfb »
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 01:02:13 PM »
This is not a recommendation of a particular product or mounting method, just passing along an option I found.

http://www.thebracketeer.com,
I contacted the Bracketeer and Mr. Wehr expressed doubt that the bracket would work on a 66 after I sent him pics of the seat track. It needs to go back far enough to fully expose the bolts.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
I have used a Halon fire extinguisher on an underhood fuel fire.  Can vouch first hand, they work amazingly well.  Am in the market for a couple more.  What's the current best option?