Author Topic: C6ZF-F carb has cracked emulsion tubes  (Read 4679 times)

messmoremh

• View Profile
C6ZF-F carb has cracked emulsion tubes
« on: March 01, 2020, 02:23:51 PM »
Looking for a compatible parts carb for said tubes. Lots of Autolite 4100 carbs on eBay, just don't know which might have usable tubes for my C6ZF-F?
Any carb Guru out there know?
6S1489

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
Re: C6ZF-F carb has cracked emulsion tubes
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 05:21:10 PM »
Looking for a compatible parts carb for said tubes. Lots of Autolite 4100 carbs on eBay, just don't know which might have usable tubes for my C6ZF-F?
Any carb Guru out there know?

I guess you mean what Ford Motor Company called a "support" under group number 9A523 (a.k.a. booster, booster venturi, auxiliary venturi, booster cluster, venturi cluster) ? The “support” assemblies include the auxiliary venturi, emulsion tubes, and assorted air bleeds. The primary support also contains the accelerator pump jet nozzles.

Bob Mannel’s  excellent book lists the “MA” (C4OZ-9A523-C) primary support and the “BA” (B8AZ-9A523-L) secondary support for a C6ZF-9510-F carburetor.

The “MA” stamped assembly is only listed in his book for some 1965-67 versions of HP289 carburetors. They are pretty rare. I personally have only come across two of them ever in carburetors for cars with automatic transmissions.

The “BA” stamped assembly is fairly common. Three or four were for sale on eBay® during the last two weeks from looked okay to new old stock in the box.

Buyer beware: It is wise to ask exactly what is in any carburetor core you are considering buying. In the last ten years it has become real common for somebody to remove supports applicable to HP289 engines from cores and replace them with something else. Three of the last four HP289 specific carburetors I bought had at least one support replaced and at least one pair of main jets replaced with more common ones before sale.  The best looking (really nice looking lightly used with faint patina) core I bought had both supports and one pair of the main fuel jets replaced with place holders while it sold. (The body, cover assembly, and ancillary exterior parts were is such excellent condition I could stand to find interior parts that were replaced.)

Dan
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 11:11:37 PM by Dan Case »
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

messmoremh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 08:54:38 PM »
Dan:
Thank you for the information. May take a day or two to digest. I will follow your bread crumbs and hope to find the right parts carb to get
my Gt-350H up to standards and at the next meet in INDY...

Thanks again....

michael
6S1489

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 09:07:20 AM »
Dan:
Thank you for the information. May take a day or two to digest. I will follow your bread crumbs and hope to find the right parts carb to get
my Gt-350H up to standards and at the next meet in INDY...

Thanks again....

michael

You are welcome.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

messmoremh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 04:24:10 PM »
Dan:

Where is the "MA" and "BA" stamped on the primary and secondary supports?
I believe you are saying I need both the primary support and the secondary support, is that correct?
Do you have any "parts" carbs that might have operable supports that would work in my Gt-350-H? (Not a concourse perfect car, but a very nice [trailered mostly] driver)
Is there any specific carb number (as mine had the tag (C6ZF F) and is stamped on the bottom (6Z F) that would have the correct support (s).
Seem to be a lot of Autolite 4100 carbs on E-Bay, just confused as to what might work to get my motor running nicely......(just rebuilt with all the correct HiPo parts installed.)... thanks to Jim Cowles at Shelby Parts.

Thanks for your help and expertise!!!      michael
6S1489

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 06:23:22 PM »
This is a " K A" stamped assembly as an example.

Nos sir, I sold all my HP289 carburetor cores about a year ago.

My quick look up indicates all the carburetor assemblies that used the MA support were ones for High Performance 289 engines with automatic transmissions.

"BA" assemblies, while not all that rare, but get treated like they are. I think this seller has more than one for sale currently.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/63-1964-1965-1966-1967-Ford-Mustang-Fairlane-289-HIPO-CARBURETOR-BOOSTER-VENTURI/153224242096?epid=16023457210&hash=item23ace063b0:g:ue0AAOSw2kVbka7n

If you want to strike out hunting HP289 anything I suggest you buy a digital copy of Bob Mannel's book which has much more information than the printed hard copy version.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:50:26 PM by Dan Case »
Dan Case

messmoremh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 02:07:40 PM »
Dan:

Once again, Thank You!!!

michael
6S1489

messmoremh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 02:18:25 PM »
Dan:

one quick question, do I need a MA or a BA support, and does the one i should have come with both primary and secondary support.
The picture you sent of the KA as an example shown protruding tubes that look like jets. If they are jets what is the size recommended for an automatic trans HiPo?

Sorry to be such a pest...

michael

6S1489

messmoremh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 09:14:25 PM »
Dan:

Disregard last, have researched and found out nomenclature, etc. The guy you sent me a link to had the part, I believe.

Thanks,

michael
6S1489