Author Topic: Anyone have a better picture of this early version of CSX2002?  (Read 2846 times)

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
This blue tinted photo must have been taken around August or Sept 1962 with the lead time needed to go to print.
This was in the December 1962 issue of Hot Rod magazine.

It was before the louvered hood was added when CS tested it at Riverside...
and before the hood scoop was added on the louvered hood, when Bill Krause drove it in the first 3hr race in October '62, also at Riverside
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

honker

• View Profile
Re: Anyone have a better picture of this early version of CSX2002?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 07:40:34 PM »
Rich, this photo is from the "Ford Racing Century" book 2003 by Larry Edsall & Mike Teske, the photo is credited to Primedia, Some

body was  there taking these.

The second photo is the same as what you posted, but with out the blue tint, it's from  the David Friedman book "Shelby American

Up Close And Behind the Scenes" this same one has appeared in a number of different publications, I think he's behind the camera,

but I didn't know he was involved this early

I'll go through my some more of my paper, magazines etc., if Hot Rod published this there must be more out there ?

I know it's been covered here before, but what happened to all the documentation from Shelby ?

Mike
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:55:15 PM by honker »

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 10:03:49 PM »
MIKE, these are terrific!!!

Thank you for taking the time to find and share them both!

I think your two photos are different than the one I posted from Hot Rod, but were definitely taken at the same time and probably in the same turn on the track at Riverside. I did look through Dave Freidman's photos (on the Henry Ford Flickr site) but did not see them. I'd bet there are a few more from this day out there, but I looked all over Google and Bing and came up empty. Most of my books don't go that deep into the history of one car.

I'm sure SAAC has the documents. but limits what they share to the Registries and SA America/annuals.

I betting you've seen this link, but just in case you haven't here's some nice color photos from shortly after the no louvered hood testing day.
http://johnstraub.blogspot.com/2011/09/americas-first-racing-school-carroll.html

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 11:48:10 PM »
The above photos are Turn Six as the bleachers were being built.

Rich, thanks for the link.  In there was the pix of CS (standing) and who we thought might be Masten Gregory (behind the wheel) with Turn Nine in the background. I'm wondering now if it was merely a school student.  Also, the previous question of "who was that photog" is now answered: Brock.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 11:50:02 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

kranky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 11:14:47 AM »
The louvers are on the hood in the blue tinted photo...the photo is just poor quality.  Go to "Peterson Digital Archive" and type in "Cobra 1962"....there are several photos from the test session and a few photos showing the louvered hood/partial painted hood and also another test driver.  Also, some of the images are flipped....so there really isn't any right hand drive Cobras at this event.  There are also a few images of csx2000 in the pearl yellow color, an early road test of a red Cobra, some early homologated competition parts (side draft weber manifold, etc.) etc.

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 05:06:05 PM »
Side-Oilers, I wondered what those frames were in the back of the picture, thanks.

kranky,  I believe you are right, the hood is primered after the louvers were cut in. Thanks for the heads up on the Peterson Digital

Archives site  8)  just spent a couple of hours there !

Mike

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 07:55:41 PM »
Kranky,

THANK YOU for sharing that photo archive site.
Those picture of csx2002 clearly show the louvers on the partially primered hood.
Lots of other interesting photos in there as well. Very cool place to look around in!

kranky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 10:51:45 PM »
No problem....enjoy the site there are tons of detail photos, Cobra, Shelby GT350 R-model (001 at Willow Springs, etc.) photos, Trans-Am,  Can-Am, Cougar stuff and tons of Indy and drag racing to keep you busy for several weeks.