Author Topic: Is this a repro part?  (Read 2853 times)

1109RWHP

• View Profile
Is this a repro part?
« on: March 04, 2018, 12:37:55 AM »
This is the stainless channel from the rear edge of the door glass. The part on the left I removed from a 70 and am sure is original. The one on the right is supposed to be NOS that I bought years ago but it is very different. You can see in the pictures how much wider the original is where it goes on the glass and the flat area at the top inside where it fits against the roof rail weather strip. The molding is made up of two pieces that are welded together but they are done in a different way. Is it from a coupe or a poor repro?

papa scoops

• View Profile
Re: Is this a repro part?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 02:09:15 PM »
maybe different year 69/70? coupe convert or fb? phred

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:54:09 PM »
This is the stainless channel from the rear edge of the door glass. The part on the left I removed from a 70 and am sure is original. The one on the right is supposed to be NOS that I bought years ago but it is very different. You can see in the pictures how much wider the original is where it goes on the glass and the flat area at the top inside where it fits against the roof rail weather strip. The molding is made up of two pieces that are welded together but they are done in a different way. Is it from a coupe or a poor repro?

Convertible glue in glass had the trim on the door glass and bolt in had the trim on the 1/4 glass. They will not interchange . 69 /70 Shelby's had glue in glass. Late 69 production and all of 70 had bolt in glass. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:24:40 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 03:57:39 PM »
FYI you have to have ether all glue in glass (1/4 and door) or all bolt in glass other wise you will have a mismatch at the quarter window . Don't ask me how I know.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 05:48:50 PM »
Does that apply to a fastback? This is all bolt in in the doors.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 07:21:24 PM »
Does that apply to a fastback? This is all bolt in in the doors.
On a fastback you don't have the same kind of issue between the hinged 1/4 window like you do with the rollup convert 1/4. The fastback trim mounts to the door glass regardless but I cant remember if on a fastback the trim is different between the bolt in and glue in glass. 

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 07:29:43 PM »
Nobody lists a different part for bolt in or glue in glass that I have seen.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 08:36:44 PM »
Nobody lists a different part for bolt in or glue in glass that I have seen.
You may be in luck and be no difference in the trim as it relates to 69/70 fastback door glass . I have never seen things listed in catalogs for glue in vs bolt in . It typically is listed for 69 (aftermarket speak for glue in) or 70 (aftermarket speak for bolt in) . Many observations by knowledgeable enthusiasts have confirmed the transition started in late 69 production however.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »
the stainless doorglass trim is different between coupe convertible & fastback. Fastback is shorter & wider than coupe convertible. In late 70 the trim was wider for thicker glass which looks like what your lh trim is.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:42:25 PM by Special Ed »

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 10:36:23 PM »
Has anyone on here used a repro set for a fastback?  Maybe you can post some pictures if you have.