News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Will the Engine Mounts for a 427 Side Oiler fit a 428 engine?

Started by JWH, March 03, 2020, 08:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWH

There are three pieces that mount the engine - the bracket that bolts to the frame, the rubber insulator and the bracket that bolts to the engine block. Would all three of these be the exact same for mounting a 427 SIDE OILER vs a 428 Police Interceptor?
Thanks
Jeff

Royce Peterson

The LH engine mount plate is specific to the 1968 Cougar 427 GT-E. It is easy to spot since they are engraved with a large "427". Good luck finding a real one.

You can modify the 428 part to fit by welding up the one engine mount hole that would be right in the center of the side oil passage. Then trim the mount to clear the side oil passage. Finally drill the relocated hole in the mount. 

The three bolt holes with paint missing were drilled in the block plate originally. You can drill all four if you want.

Quote from: JWH on March 03, 2020, 08:50:15 AM
There are three pieces that mount the engine - the bracket that bolts to the frame, the rubber insulator and the bracket that bolts to the engine block. Would all three of these be the exact same for mounting a 427 SIDE OILER vs a 428 Police Interceptor?
Thanks
Jeff
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

SFM6S

I believe that Jeff is asking because he removed a 427 from his car and is installing the correct 428 PI. He is having issues lining everything up.

Joe

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SFM6S on March 03, 2020, 11:12:58 AM
I believe that Jeff is asking because he removed a 427 from his car and is installing the correct 428 PI. He is having issues lining everything up.

Joe
In that case the only difference should be the block plate that is different as Royce pointed out. All of the other parts are the same as Mustang/Shelby FE.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JWH

Yes, thanks Joe. I removed the 427 SO and while trying to drop in a 428, the engine mounts will not line up. In the past, I have installed the bracket to the block and tightened, then loosely hung the insulator on this bracket. The bracket to the frame is installed and tightened down. I have been able to lower the engine and the insulator slides right over the frame bracket. This time, the insulator just refuses to drop over the frame bracket. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JWH on March 03, 2020, 12:28:00 PM
Yes, thanks Joe. I removed the 427 SO and while trying to drop in a 428, the engine mounts will not line up. In the past, I have installed the bracket to the block and tightened, then loosely hung the insulator on this bracket. The bracket to the frame is installed and tightened down. I have been able to lower the engine and the insulator slides right over the frame bracket. This time, the insulator just refuses to drop over the frame bracket. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Try switching the block plates one side to the other.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

The RH one is marked R - hard to mess that up.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 03, 2020, 12:40:12 PM

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on March 03, 2020, 06:45:16 PM
The RH one is marked R - hard to mess that up.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 03, 2020, 12:40:12 PM
Royce , s#it happens . Maybe or maybe not in this instance but more then one enthusiast has confused left and right as sitting in the car or left and right standing in front of the car looking at it   ;)  Trying to be helpful not hurtful. ::)

JWH

I will take a look at the brackets, I think they are on there correctly but never hurts to double check everything possible. It just needs less than an inch for the insulator to drop down onto the bracket.

Royce Peterson

I do this over and over on project cars, in fact I am going to drop a 428 into a Mustang tomorrow. I leave all the bolts loose on the insulators and install the frame brackets last with the engine hanging by the hoist. It's just easier and faster that way.

I don't believe the block plates can be swapped but then I have not tried it either.

Quote from: JWH on March 03, 2020, 08:00:57 PM
I will take a look at the brackets, I think they are on there correctly but never hurts to double check everything possible. It just needs less than an inch for the insulator to drop down onto the bracket.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on March 04, 2020, 10:01:16 AM
I do this over and over on project cars, in fact I am going to drop a 428 into a Mustang tomorrow. I leave all the bolts loose on the insulators and install the frame brackets last with the engine hanging by the hoist. It's just easier and faster that way.

I don't believe the block plates can be swapped but then I have not tried it either.

Quote from: JWH on March 03, 2020, 08:00:57 PM
FYI if they couldn't be switched in some fashion there would be no need for Ford to mark the right hand one. ;)

The Going Thing

They can indeed be installed upside down and opposite. I have never had an issue with the body/frame side so there was no need to leave them loose. The exception was the installation of headers as an afterthought.

Royce Peterson

I tried it today and indeed you can swap them if you are happy with only having two of the three bolt holes align. If you were to do this the isolators would each be many inches away from alignment because the angle is WAY off.

When installed properly all three bolts can be installed. There are four bolt bosses on each side of the block so that later FE blocks can also be used in pre - 1965 Full size Ford and T-Bird applications.

Here's the RH one - clearly marked with an "R".

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 04, 2020, 05:14:15 PM
They can indeed be installed upside down and opposite. I have never had an issue with the body/frame side so there was no need to leave them loose. The exception was the installation of headers as an afterthought.

The Going Thing

Yes, I agree. You'd have to be all but brain dead to make the mistake. What might be confusing for some is trying to understand that right is passenger and left is driver. If you used the logic based on viewing the front of the engine they'd wind up backward. I haven't seen a set of reproductions, so I don't know if they are marked.

JWH

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 04, 2020, 05:14:15 PM

It turns out, this is exactly what i did. We were in a bit of a hurry (always a bad thing) and I installed the brackets that mount to the engine block on the wrong side AND upside down. The three bolt holes lined up perfectly unfortunately. The engine almost drops in to place with the brackets mounted this way, but it just won't drop down the last inch or two.

As mentioned previously, take a moment to find the large R that is stamped into the bracket that mounts to the engine block and make certain that it is bolted to the right side or passenger side of the engine.

By reversing the brackets and getting them oriented correctly, all the parts that mounted the 427 engine fit perfectly on the 428 and it dropped right into place. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and helping solve this little hiccup.
Jeff