News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Original Cobra tach

Started by deathsled, March 04, 2018, 09:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I never painted my Cobra tach and it still bears the patina from the time the car was bought in the beautiful State of California (I see California with rose coloured glasses, I know, but I still hold the state in high regard as just...dreamy).  My questions are two:

1. Repaint professionally or leave as is with chipped flat black paint?

2. What are the specs on the spacers in the dash for the two screws that hold down the tach and the screw size.  Old post with this info was lost regrettably but I recall the screw heads are pan head and someone suggested (might have been acman) to machine two pieces of aluminum tubes as spacers.  If Acman has repros I will buy.

Thank you all,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

J_Speegle

Quote from: deathsled on March 04, 2018, 09:45:10 AM
I never painted my Cobra tach and it still bears the patina from the time the car was bought in the beautiful State of California (I see California with rose coloured glasses, I know, but I still hold the state in high regard as just...dreamy).  My questions are two:

1. Repaint professionally or leave as is with chipped flat black paint?

Depends on the car. Will a restored exterior look out of place once installed?  Or will it make other things in the interior look out of place?

Quote from: deathsled on March 04, 2018, 09:45:10 AM2. What are the specs on the spacers in the dash for the two screws that hold down the tach and the screw size.  Old post with this info was lost regrettably but I recall the screw heads are pan head and someone suggested (might have been acman) to machine two pieces of aluminum tubes as spacers.  If Acman has repros I will buy.

Yes two P&O pan headed Phillips. The use or non-use of the supports would depend on when your car was built (read car number). Something your didn't include ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

deathsled

pmustang

I had my 66 Tach looked at for an operational fault and I didn't have a thing done to the patina, my car has a tired paint job to match :-)

J_Speegle

Quote from: deathsled on March 04, 2018, 02:25:36 PM
6s843 and thank you

Would expect that your car would have had the reinforcements (tubes) originally.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

deathsled

Thank you Jeff.  I think acman had a suggestion on the former site about dimensions and how to make.  Or maybe he makes them.  I'll check it out.  And thank you gentlemen, all of your for your input.

Richard E.

J_Speegle

A few pictures as usual  ;) to help bolster the thread and rebuild the site to its former glory :)

Sorry for the poor scan

Greg

Quote from: J_Speegle on March 04, 2018, 06:04:57 PM
A few pictures as usual  ;) to help bolster the thread and rebuild the site to its former glory :)

Sorry for the poor scan

Jeff, are the spacers (so that the pad doesn't collapse) in the pad itself or a bracket mounted to the metal frame?  Thanks, Greg

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

J_Speegle

Quote from: Greg on March 04, 2018, 06:59:24 PM
Jeff, are the spacers (so that the pad doesn't collapse) in the pad itself or a bracket mounted to the metal frame?  Thanks, Greg

The tubes/stands were inserted into the holes made in the dash pad (each are individuals)

SFM6S087

I made some notes when this topic came up on the old forum. Here's what I have:

Those spacers look like short pieces of tubing 11/16" L, 1/2" OD, 1/16"wall. Originals are thought to have been some sort of bakelite material. Ford replacements were made of steel. Repos can be made from 3/8 tubing.

If that's wrong, maybe someone will jump in and correct it.

Steve

GT350Lad

That sounds correct Steve, I took a screen shot of the description on the old forum, I'll try find it but I think your on the money mate  :)
6S373
6S1276

kingchief

I think Jim Cowles reproduces them from time to time.

Steve
SFM 6S406