News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

4 Speed Lower Shift boot installation

Started by GT350AUS, March 05, 2020, 10:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT350AUS

I bought the lower shift boot for my 4 speed on my KR but I have no idea how it's installed as mine looks to have been cut away at at the floor at some stage  so I don't have a reference point.

Does the lower boot sit over the shift mechanism with linkages removed from their anchor points and then passed through the openings in the boot and then screwing the top part of the boot to the floor?

Thanks in advance.

Ross

Bob Gaines

Quote from: GT350AUS on March 05, 2020, 10:08:09 PM
I bought the lower shift boot for my 4 speed on my KR but I have no idea how it's installed as mine looks to have been cut away at at the floor at some stage  so I don't have a reference point.

Does the lower boot sit over the shift mechanism with linkages removed from their anchor points and then passed through the openings in the boot and then screwing the top part of the boot to the floor?

Thanks in advance.

Ross
Lower boot encases the shift mechanism and bolted to the trans with the lower boot on . All rods attach to the shifter . The top of the lower boot pulls up through the floor shifter opening and bolts down sandwiched between the floor and the upper boot.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350AUS

Thanks Bob so while the box is in the car I should still be able to encase the shift mechanism by disconnecting the linkages and removing the mechanism and encasing it then re attaching the mechanism to the box and passing the linkages through the opening provisions in the boot?

Corey Bowcutt

Ross,

Yes you can.  I have done this with my car a few times.  Really not very hard.

Corey

6s1640

Pulling seats and console will make easier to install boot.  You will need to lift the front carpet to gain access to detach top boot, to pull or push lower boot through and then accessing the fasteners to attached both boots back to the car. Pulling the front carpet makes it even easier, but not necessary.  If you prop the carpet up to give you room to work, you will be fine.   Any other way will be too difficult.

Best of luck

Cory

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on March 06, 2020, 12:44:23 PM
Pulling seats and console will make easier to install boot.  You will need to lift the front carpet to gain access to detach top boot, to pull or push lower boot through and then accessing the fasteners to attached both boots back to the car. Pulling the front carpet makes it even easier, but not necessary.  If you prop the carpet up to give you room to work, you will be fine.   Any other way will be too difficult.

Best of luck

Cory
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350AUS

I understand the remove seats and fold down carpet bit to get access to the screws for the boot, but what I need clarification on is the procedure to encase the lower boot to the shift mechanism

6s1640

You are going to need to unbolt the shift mechanisms and disconnect the shifter rods.  The boot will have to be slide up the shift mechanism to have the levers pass through the boot.  Once the boot is on re-attached mechanism and rods.  Then go back to the interior and pull boot through and finish the job.

The below auction shows a nice image of a boot and shifter mechanism.  You can see the shift levers passing through the boot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-68-Mustang-3-Speed-Lower-Shifter-Boot-Exactly-Like-Original-C6ZZ7138B/192579145544?epid=14012197318&hash=item2cd69c8f48:g:cYIAAOSwhHFbL6ag

Cory

GT350AUS

Cory,

This is exactly what I need to see.

As the saying goes....."a picture is worth a thousand words"

Thanks

Ross

gt350shelb

make sure you are happy with shifter and/ adjustments  before hand
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

The Going Thing

Do you have the tool to adjust the shifter? You can make one if you don't. I can provide a picture of mine and dimensions if needed.  The readjustment is where it may be a bit time-consuming. Be sure to replace the shifter lever bushings, detents and springs and lubricate the mechanism while you have it out.

GT350AUS

Yes I have a tool to do the adjustment on the shift mechanising when adjusting linkages

Thanks

GT350AUS

Quote from: 6s1640 on March 06, 2020, 12:44:23 PM

Best of luck

Cory

So I've fitted the lower boot and now need to get the console out.

I will disconnect the battery so as not to short the gauges.

Cory, you mention that the carpet can be lifted out of the way to access the screwed retaking the boot. Are you suggesting that this an be done without taking the seat out?

How is the console attached so that I don't damage it when trying to pull it out?

6s1640

Seats need to come out to lift carpet.

Cory

GT350AUS

Ok seats out but how is the console secured in place.

Any suggestions as to the best procedure to remove it?