Author Topic: Original 69 Mach/Shelby seat covers black  (Read 1914 times)

Dizzy

• View Profile
Original 69 Mach/Shelby seat covers black
« on: March 04, 2018, 11:53:36 AM »
Anybody have good luck using original/used seat covers to repair originals? Years ago I had a local trim shop take the good sections out of some nice used seats to repair my covers instead of buying repo. They turned out great,but not sure if restorers are satisfied with the new repo stuff. I understand there was some issues with the "Comfortweave" material?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:15:18 PM by Dizzy »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Original 69 Mach/Shelby seat covers black
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 02:04:13 PM »
Anybody have good luck using original/used seat covers to repair originals? Years ago I had a local trim shop take the good sections out of some nice used seats to repair my covers instead of buying repo. They turned out great,but not sure if restorers are satisfied with the new repo stuff. I understand there was some issues with the "Comfortweave" material?
Not some issue but the main issue. The side panel vinyl can be sourced easy enough. Using it to repair a survivor car panel may be a alternative but sometimes slight fading will make it stand out. On a new restoration the seats have to be in pristine condition for them to pass scrutiny.  I have seen well cared for  interior out of low mileage cars that fit that description but few and far between. It is the comfortweave that is extremely difficult. if you cant find NOS comfortweave material then used is another alternative. The used comfortweave must be still in good shape and not worn or you are basically wasting your time and money. The repro comfort weave is very bad in comparison to original.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Original 69 Mach/Shelby seat covers black
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 04:53:41 PM »
+1 to Bob's comments have used coupe rear seats to supply panels that could be used for some of the side panels. Comfortweave inserts is a whole different thing since their design and location leads to them wearing and showing wear much easier than the side panels often
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge