Author Topic: The tale of 3 GT500 dampers  (Read 6561 times)

The Going Thing

• View Profile
Re: The tale of 3 GT500 dampers
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2020, 08:43:34 AM »
No, Doug. The spacers work pretty well in concert with the Arning drop which lowers the chassis, in turn also giving more clearance. 
What I don't recommend is doing the "Streets of San Francisco" because I am relatively sure that full downward deflection of the suspension would have the same effect. Rubbing.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »
No, Doug. The spacers work pretty well in concert with the Arning drop which lowers the chassis, in turn also giving more clearance. 
What I don't recommend is doing the "Streets of San Francisco" because I am relatively sure that full downward deflection of the suspension would have the same effect. Rubbing.

Re-read post #28, "spacers are the best and simplest solution".

Even so, the car needs to be verified that under full suspension travel, there is clearance.

Plus the spacers are just easier to do.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2020, 10:15:21 AM »
I am the one that brought up 68 the spacers. It was my fix initially. I wound up making the change to a 1" bar for the FE. They are also bent differently so there is no longer a concern about damper contact.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2020, 01:17:25 PM »
This is a timely topic as I am just dropping the 428 into my '67 GT500. I have noticed that the balancer sits right on top of the sway bar and I have wondered how to solve for this issue. From this thread, I read there are three solutions:

1) install the spacers for the sway bar
2) install the longer hardware links for the sway bar
3) install a '69-'70 sway bar with a slightly different shape

Of these three, which is most effective to make sure the balancer and sway bar never make contact?

Will just one of these solutions solve the problem or is a combination the best way to go? For instance, install both the spacers and the longer links?   

Thanks in advance.
Jeff
In regards to #2 the 67 Shelby is supposed to get the longer 68 end link style . I am not advocating for even longer ones.   A regular 67 Mustang calls for shorter versions just like 65 and 66. It is a common restoration mistake which compounds the problem.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2020, 02:01:38 PM »
   If the links get too long , they "tip" forward a bit . This will put "some" additional pressure on the lower control arm. I would ONLY do it as a "last resort".  The bar/dampner interference happens as the front end rises ( as the chassis and LCA separate) not compression.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2020, 02:16:54 PM »
   If the links get too long , they "tip" forward a bit . This will put "some" additional pressure on the lower control arm. I would ONLY do it as a "last resort".  The bar/dampner interference happens as the front end rises ( as the chassis and LCA separate) not compression.
   Randy
To add clarification that the 68-70 endlink length is is also stock length and not too long on a 67 GT350/500 .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby