Author Topic: ACP parts  (Read 4015 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
ACP parts
« on: March 08, 2020, 02:12:29 PM »
The Subject of Scott Drake reproduction parts comes up fairly often here so I thought I would ask about ACP.

I have come across a few of their parts and the parts I saw were good to great quality of construction.

Are they perfect reproductions of OEM parts? I know that is unlikely. I know Premier Concours is not going to be OK with non-OEM parts, but what about the drivers out there?

But I wondered if anyone knew more about them. Specifically, are they imported parts? Do they fit and function well? Has anyone had bad experiences? (Looks like they are headquartered in California.)

A lot of Parts suppliers list their reproduction parts as "good" "better" or "Best". They do not tell you if Best is Daniel Carpenter or if good is Drake.

Here is a random page from ACP's site;

https://buyacp.com/1967/ford/mustang/?sort=featured&page=12

I was looking at door latch assemblies on this page

Here is a Steering component I saw in person;

https://buyacp.com/parts/idler-arm-assembly-power-steering-2-piece-design-v8-fm-es015b/

I think they do not sell direct and you must go to your trusted dealer. I guess if you knew they were good pieces you could request them by name.

Thoughts?

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: ACP parts
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 02:15:24 PM »
Their official "About us" Page;

https://buyacp.com/about-acp/

I like that they are Ford only.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 03:16:04 PM »
I suppose it would depend on the individual part,if seen or unseen etc. As it pertains to Scott Drake the same thing applies. They have good parts and not so good parts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 04:34:42 PM »
Keep in mind that Scott Drake re-boxes ACP and many other manufacturer's parts.  Not all parts sold by Drake are Drake's proprietary products.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 05:18:08 PM »
Keep in mind that Scott Drake re-boxes ACP and many other manufacturer's parts.  Not all parts sold by Drake are Drake's proprietary products.

Do you know if ACP is constructing the parts onshore?

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 09:10:12 PM »
Most are Chinese or Taiwanese.

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 01:54:29 PM »
One thing I like is that the door latches come with metal and not fully plastic clips for the rods. The bulky plastic clips are less than useless.

I would be amazed if more than one factory made something as complex as door latches though.

Recently changed out a door latch and although it works very nice it sounds like a gun going off when in use. Very mechanical sounding, SCHHHNAPP

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 02:04:15 PM »
Agree with Mr Gaines, each part has to be evaluated for its intended purpose on an individual basis. There is no easy button.

Krelboyne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 02:15:43 PM »
We work with ACP, and sell some of their products.
Several years ago they approached us for suggestions and samples of 'stuff they may be able to make'.

The boss and I came up with a few items.

They came up with a pretty good plastic version of the 1967-8 and 1969-70, heater/A/C boxes. Prototypes were sent to us for fitment and approval. Original heater cores and evaporators fit inside the repro cases.

One of the recent items that came to market are the 1967-68 Mustang and Cougar door window stops, all of them.
Color is off, but they pretty much made exact copies.

There is another A/C component coming soon, I just got the prototype tested.

Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »

I cannot figure out why we, (this country, we the people) allow venders to sell China parts. As if this time they did not do enough damage to the world. It is up to US, yes we the people, to try to look other places for every product. I personally will pay more, much more, to buy something that is made in a "reliable" country.

China is nothing more than a very very very large North Korea. Watch out, they poisoned the world, they just might get it right next time.

Just one man's opinion.
RARE  Signature Delete

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 06:39:00 PM »
I agree.... I would pay a little more for parts made in North America.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 11:33:00 PM »

I cannot figure out why we, (this country, we the people) allow venders to sell China parts. As if this time they did not do enough damage to the world. It is up to US, yes we the people, to try to look other places for every product. I personally will pay more, much more, to buy something that is made in a "reliable" country.

China is nothing more than a very very very large North Korea. Watch out, they poisoned the world, they just might get it right next time.

China has been sending poison garbage to this country for years.  Do we want competitive US-made products, yes! Do I want to pay union lackies 35.00 and hour to do what a 16 year old Mc Donalds cook can? No.
The unions are LARGELY responsible for the outsourcing of US jobs.  You may have read about the U.S. manufacturing in China have to surrender manufacturing information and patented trade secrets to the Chinese Government.
This is going to get damn ugly before it's over. 
Okay, I'm done. I have been good lately.

Just one man's opinion.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 06:47:19 AM »
I would not make a blanket statement that “everything” from a certain country is bad. The issue as I see it, is the vendors of these parts are not holding the manufacturers accountable  to a reasonable standard of quality. If the manufacturers are selling junk and your business is buying the junk, shame on you.

When you call these vendors, their typical response is , “Really? You are the only thats ever had that problem or concern”
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 07:10:51 AM by Coralsnake »

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 08:47:09 AM »

Just one man's opinion.
Well the reason parts are made offshore of course is cost. While you will pay more are you referring to putting them on your Shelby? What about a 6cyl coupe owner? Vast majority cannot afford nor would they pay the cost of having these parts made here. Just reality. It reminds me of a topic on the Boss 302 forum many years  and those owning Bosses(not 6 cyl coupes): Mario Peratta had CJ, B2 and B9 bases made here in Detroit. Seems some on the forum when they heard the tentative price said" I'm not paying that much for an air cleaner base" while I heard some trying to quote Scott Drake's cheap Taiwanese 350 dollar prices on bases he had for sale. Well Mario's response to me when I told him about the topic said "they can  s^%K my D^&k if they do not like the prices but the stuff is made right here".   Is that perspective as to why parts are made offshore? I prefer stuff be made here also. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »
  Additional issue:  Some huge consumer goods buyers tell the manufacturers that, "I'll buy this item for XXXXX and not a penny more".  So, the manufacturers cheapen where they can.  Including buying the machinery to produce the same product, and making it...off shore.