News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

FE Rubber Valve Cover Issues?

Started by The Going Thing, March 08, 2020, 04:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Going Thing

I have used the cork Felpro gaskets in the past on my cast Aluminum covers and really haven't had an issue.  The last set I purchased was the Felpro rubber gaskets. They seem to be leaking. Has anyone else had an issue with the rubber gaskets?

Royce Peterson

I've had much better success with cork gaskets. I glue them to the valve cover with 3M 1357 adhesive, then use "The Right Stuff" between the gasket and the head. No leaks that way.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

98SVT - was 06GT

You seem to have to really tighten the VC to get the rubber ones not to leak. I also prefer cork. Glued to the VC and then a coat of grease on the surface so the don't stick to the head. I've reused them many times that way after adjusting valves.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on March 08, 2020, 08:14:35 PM
You seem to have to really tighten the VC to get the rubber ones not to leak. I also prefer cork. Glued to the VC and then a coat of grease on the surface so the don't stick to the head. I've reused them many times that way after adjusting valves.
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

I don't want to glue them to the head. They have to come off for adjustment on occasion. I do use a bit of sealer where the intake meets the head. The cast aluminum covers have no retaining lip like stamped steel.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 08, 2020, 09:09:12 PM
I don't want to glue them to the head. They have to come off for adjustment on occasion. I do use a bit of sealer where the intake meets the head. The cast aluminum covers have no retaining lip like stamped steel.
Re read reply #3.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

If you glue them to the valve cover they will last a long time. Factory rockers are not adjustable unless you have a solid lifter cam in a HP 289.

oldcanuck

I don't want to glue them to the head.

I doubt you will get that recommendation from anyone here....... personally a little slather of grease on both sides of the gasket will give you the holding properties along with sealing and subsequent release you require.
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

The Going Thing

Quote from: Royce Peterson on March 09, 2020, 09:34:36 AM
If you glue them to the valve cover they will last a long time. Factory rockers are not adjustable unless you have a solid lifter cam in a HP 289.

Yes, I built the 427. It's a solid roller.

Royce Peterson

In my experience a solid roller cam should not require any periodic valve adjustments so long as a good quality roller rocker with a lock nut is used.

The problem is if someone uses worn out factory 406 / 427 style adjustable rockers. Those have no lock nut and the adjusters are only good for one adjustment before they are worn out.

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 09, 2020, 11:50:16 PM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on March 09, 2020, 09:34:36 AM

Yes, I built the 427. It's a solid roller.

The Going Thing

I am running Precision Oil Pumps Shafts, Rockers and Stands.  However,  After the break-in and running it up to 6500 a couple times, I need to go back and tighten a couple.

The Going Thing

Felpro cork gaskets glued to the valve covers with super weatherstrip adhesive. A light smudge of lithium on the gasket.  Rubber gaskets related to the circle file and exhaust port runners cleaned up... As soon as the roads dry I am going to isolate with a bit of road time.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 11, 2020, 03:13:20 AM
I am running Precision Oil Pumps Shafts, Rockers and Stands.  However,  After the break-in and running it up to 6500 a couple times, I need to go back and tighten a couple.
Just a reminder that Kieth's engine is modified with solid lifter cam/valve train so any 67 GT500  owners with more stock hydraulic cam/valve train should disregard attempting to "Running up to 6500 a couple time " or risk serious engine damage. Something to consider is that there are many reading that might not know the difference and think what is OK for one is OK for others. Now back to the discussion.

The Going Thing

Has this become the Concours forum? I would venture to guess that most here know better than to spin most engines up to 6500, and the vast collective of Shelby owners do not have stock engines.  I think the discussion was about being able to adjust/inspect the valvetrain and the rubber valve cover gaskets leaks like a sieve.  I guess 427heaven's endless blathering about 170MPH 67 500 is acceptable.  Back to my corner now.

I will remember to try and be more concise with my postings.

roddster

A comment:
"you have to really tighten the valve cover in order not to have the rubber VC gasket not leak".
   Then beware, you might have slightly stressed the aluminum cover, to the point of creating a crack.  I have seen that happen.  (not on my car though)

And: use Chapstick on the unglued side of a cork gasket to keep it from sticking.  Works on carb gaskets too.