News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

FE Rubber Valve Cover Issues?

Started by The Going Thing, March 08, 2020, 04:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Going Thing

Rodster: I absolutely agree with the frailty of sand-cast aluminum. There is a slight mismatch at the head/intake area. I think the cork is a little more forgiving in sealing imperfections.

FL SAAC

+1

That's how we did ours with felpro gaskets, no leaks no problems

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 20, 2020, 12:02:47 PM
Felpro cork gaskets glued to the valve covers with super weatherstrip adhesive. A light smudge of lithium on the gasket.  Rubber gaskets related to the circle file and exhaust port runners cleaned up... As soon as the roads dry I am going to isolate with a bit of road time.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bob Gaines

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 20, 2020, 12:32:19 PM
Has this become the Concours forum? I would venture to guess that most here know better than to spin most engines up to 6500, and the vast collective of Shelby owners do not have stock engines.  I think the discussion was about being able to adjust/inspect the valvetrain and the rubber valve cover gaskets leaks like a sieve.  I guess 427heaven's endless blathering about 170MPH 67 500 is acceptable.  Back to my corner now.

I will remember to try and be more concise with my postings.
Kieth , there is no need to get so defensive. This is not about you in particular. Thank you for making your car information contributions .  It is in the best interest of the marque to consider others who may be reading . Actually the majority of questions in the individual year categories ARE about historical facts and procedures . Many less informed people come here and read everyday.We are trying to help not hurt. Don't assume that every reader is as informed as you.  No harm in talking about modified systems just be mindful of others who may not be as informed as you.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

Bob: I am not thin-skinned. However, in light of the hostility and nastiness in recent history, I didn't dismiss the response.
I try and be helpful most of the time.  Sometimes the discussions are general, but fitting for the thread.  I try to even avoid hijacking threads.

Anyway, I have a how-to post that may help people with a better way to fix the chrome edge of their A/C vents and control on 69-70 cars with a product few here are likely to be familiar with.