News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

What Oil

Started by GT350AUS, March 09, 2020, 04:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side-Oilers

Trivia:  Anyone remember Arco Graphite that came out in the mid-Seventies?  It also was black, coming out of the can.

I put that in a SB Chevy and the oil temp immediately went up about 15 degrees.  Drained it after a couple of weeks and returned to Castrol GTX 10-40.  Oil temp returned to normal.

l also remember that, when my car dripped the Arco onto the driveway, it was almost impossible to get the stain out.

IIRC, the reason graphite oil wasn't sold for very long was that the graphite had a problem staying suspended in the oil. Which contributed to sludge.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

Just goes to show how our bodies can exist in tandem with our cars. The automotive atoms are just arranged differently than a human's. They are all atoms however. When you're driving and have a close call you usually say that car nearly hit "me" as opposed to nearly hit "my car." We are one with the automobile when we are behind the wheel. So I say yes to the zinc for car and man! And no to sludge in our engines or bodies.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. ...
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

Quote from: deathsled on March 09, 2020, 03:30:41 PM
Just goes to show how our bodies can exist in tandem with our cars. The automotive atoms are just arranged differently than a human's. They are all atoms however. When you're driving and have a close call you usually say that car nearly hit "me" as opposed to nearly hit "my car." We are one with the automobile when we are behind the wheel. So I say yes to the zinc for car and man! And no to sludge in our engines or bodies.

Adams in a Shelby are ok. You don't want any Eves in it.

That Arco may have been the stuff that would eat the oil pan gaskets? I remember it leaking on my Dad's asphalt driveway, leaving a hole and sinking to the center of the earth?

There is something about certain radioactive materials doing that too? I don't remember if it glowed?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mark p

Quote from: Side-Oilers on March 09, 2020, 03:25:37 PM
Trivia:  Anyone remember Arco Graphite that came out in the mid-Seventies?  It also was black, coming out of the can.
I put that in a SB Chevy and the oil temp immediately went up about 15 degrees.  Drained it after a couple of weeks and returned to Castrol GTX 10-40.  Oil temp returned to normal.
l also remember that, when my car dripped the Arco onto the driveway, it was almost impossible to get the stain out.
IIRC, the reason graphite oil wasn't sold for very long was that the graphite had a problem staying suspended in the oil. Which contributed to sludge.

Wow, that's a somewhat different story than my experience, but maybe more representative of the general market?
I used ARCO Graphite in my new "iron duke" 1980 Pontiac from the day it was out of warranty (12k miles back then) until it was no longer available. I sold that car at about 115k, was still running great.
IIRC, I tracked a slight increase in fuel mileage (very important in the 80's).
I specifically recall my conversation with the service manager at the dealership when they plasti-gauged the mains at 93k (+/-) miles - drivetrain was out for new clutch... the mechanic wanted to know if the engine had just been rebuilt - since everything checked as if freshly done.

I do 100% agree on the difficulty of clean up. It stayed on my hands forever!
However, the [many] leaks from that Phoenix were easily identified on my epoxy coated garage floor - they were all "color coded"... oil=black, trans fluid=red (yes, Dexron in a fwd 4-spd), coolant=green, etc  :( :o ::)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

The Going Thing

Zinc is an absolute for ANY flat tappet cam. At the recommendation of the FE forum I tried the VR1 10-30 instead of the Penn Grade I was running. I lost about 6 psi at idle hot and 10 psi at cruise idle. I went back to 30WT Penn Grade today.  I don't run the Shell oil anymore. It's not the same formula. I also avoid synthetics for older engines.  Penn Grade is old school Kendal.

FL SAAC

At this point in my life the discussion of oil is stale. I highly reccomend using fresh Wesson oil, currently on sale at walmart for $6.58 a gallon.

Before I sign off just yesterday my motor developed a klink-klank-ping sound. Would anyone know or care to mention why that is ? klink-klank-ping...

I have all UNGOLD cars

427heaven

Was that followed by a PUFF PUFF SOUND. ;D

FL SAAC

No, no, no, klink-klank-ping, klink-klank-ping, klink-klank-ping and I'm sticking to it.

By the way woul you have dz844ce3 thingamagig....you see my crystal ball has shattered .....klink-klank-ping

Quote from: 427heaven on March 10, 2020, 08:46:42 AM
Was that followed by a PUFF PUFF SOUND. ;D

I have all UNGOLD cars

427heaven

That only happens to people that live in warmer climates having a good time, I would suggest stop going to car shows- Fancy Hotels- deep sea fishing expeditions- and having adult beverages on crystal clear beaches. The noises you perceive will begin to subside... Hope this helps. ;)

shelbydoug

Quote from: 427heaven on March 10, 2020, 10:01:16 AM
That only happens to people that live in warmer climates having a good time, I would suggest stop going to car shows- Fancy Hotels- deep sea fishing expeditions- and having adult beverages on crystal clear beaches. The noises you perceive will begin to subside... Hope this helps. ;)

On the beach I ignore sounds and just look for jiggling here and there.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

Looking at your stomach while you breath?
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

mygt350

Damn. Started out about oil and then went to Randy looking at Dougs stomach bounce....
Geez...
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

FL SAAC

Back to oil

I highly reccomend to all the owners of forgein cars or fru-frus or concourse crowd to use this imported oil.

Gone fishing... lol

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350hr on March 10, 2020, 11:36:07 AM
   Looking at your stomach while you breath?

That's not a jiggle.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!