News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What Oil

Started by GT350AUS, March 09, 2020, 04:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

427heaven

In my parts they call that a barrel roll. ;D

gt350hr

Bottom line is that oil becomes a "personal preference" item. Many oils will do the same job and there is allot of "overlap". There are so many different brands to choose from it can be confusing . The thing NOT to do is compare "modern" engine requirements to "older" engines. Oil pumps , bearing clearances , and oil passage design are all different allowing thinner multi weight oils to be NEEDED for top engine performance. I have seen a situation where a "know it all ", 20-50 only oil user took out the 5-20 specified oil for ( you guessed it) 20-50. Not only did he LOSE gas ,mileage and engine performance , poor cold flow caused bearing damage on initial startup.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

GT350AUS

Well who would've guessed that this simple topic could've been so informative, interesting and entertaining all at the same time

Thanks to all that contributed and me of course for starting the thread....lol

FL SAAC

+ 1 we like you already

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

Quote from: GT350AUS on March 10, 2020, 06:13:16 PM
Well who would've guessed that this simple topic could've been so informative, interesting and entertaining all at the same time

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

427heaven

Agreed... Wait till you ask how much air pressure is ideal, or what do you think about running a CAUTION fan sticker, the flood gates will open up.

GT350AUS

:) haha haha I've seen that in Forum version 1.0  :)

Soooo no caution fan sticker hey....hahaha

FL SAAC

Speaking of air, should you need vintage air for your tires....we have special containers with the specific air that would be correct for your vintage Shelby.

Please provide us your specific build date and we can provide you with a proper qoute and special SAAC pricing.

Thank you

Quote from: 427heaven on March 10, 2020, 07:02:46 PM
Agreed... Wait till you ask how much air pressure is ideal, or what do you think about running a CAUTION fan sticker, the flood gates will open up.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

The Going Thing

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on March 10, 2020, 08:35:26 AM
At this point in my life the discussion of oil is stale. I highly reccomend using fresh Wesson oil, currently on sale at walmart for $6.58 a gallon.

Before I sign off just yesterday my motor developed a klink-klank-ping sound. Would anyone know or care to mention why that is ? klink-klank-ping...

Tony- You've been hanging around in the wrong places in FL again.  This won't get it. You can throw it out.. LOL

shelbydoug

Well, the only thing with the oil on the beach, it adds to the Jello effect.

You get more glare depending on whether the Jello is still in the molds or has been released to be free?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

It's the same on any forum. The subject was up on Speedtalk years back and went twenty some pages. All kinds of charts , specifications , personal opinions , no clear result as "one" brand to use. Too many pay attention to advertising claims instead of actual oil performance in use.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

The Going Thing

Randy:
Exactly. Or long term use and wear and observation during tear-downs. Mobil 1 absolutely does not contain enough ZDDP to protect a flat tappet cam.
I use Mobil one in my Lincoln and the Saab V6 cars.  I also had an issue with Castrol. I used it on my Turbo Toyota. It would pull enough oil in smoke during high vacuum on deacceleration. I changed to the Kendall and it stopped completely.
Too many personal experiences.   I'll stick with the Penn Grade on the Shelby.
I am not overly enthralled with 18-20 PSI at Idle hot and 55PSI hot at 3000 +-.

427heaven

An average man, doing average things, with an average car, doesn't need to worry about much these days. Turning 10,000 rpm with a 500 ci pro stock engine, or having a Cobra automotive built VOGT engine turning those rpm s for an hour changes the story some. ;)

shelbydoug

Quote from: 427heaven on March 11, 2020, 10:32:23 AM
An average man, doing average things, with an average car, doesn't need to worry about much these days. Turning 10,000 rpm with a 500 ci pro stock engine, or having a Cobra automotive built VOGT engine turning those rpm s for an hour changes the story some. ;)

Obviously you are not from my "neighborhood"?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

Average man. You must be talking about yourself....