News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Intake Manifold ID

Started by 65fastbackk, March 09, 2020, 09:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

65fastbackk

Hi,

Can anyone ID this manifold.  It has no cobra or shelby letters on it but looks identical to one of those.

Thanks

camp upshur

On the casting boss (cylindrical, between front and carb heat plenum): are there any stamped letters?
Of note: it appears there is no PCV accommodation  and the carb heat shield was never 'tapped' (?)

JD

Quote from: camp upshur on March 09, 2020, 10:29:16 PM
On the casting boss (cylindrical, between front and carb heat plenum): are there any stamped letters?
Of note: it appears there is no PCV accommodation  and the carb heat shield was never ‘tapped’ (?)

Here...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

65fastbackk

Hi

Thx, I don't have it near me but will look.  Did shebys or aftermarket use these non labeled ones.  Is it an early repro, over the counter generic?

Thx

camp upshur

It is not a 1965 GT-350 intake (S1MS-9424A). There were non PCV intakes used on Cobras I've heard and purportedly on R Mustangs (?).
The biggest issue with this intake, beside the obvious lack of markings, is the lack of a rear casting boss.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: camp upshur on March 10, 2020, 02:51:09 AM

It is not a 1965 GT-350 intake (S1MS-9424A). There were non PCV intakes used on Cobras I've heard and purportedly on R Mustangs (?).
The biggest issue with this intake, beside the obvious lack of markings, is the lack of a rear casting boss.
Without the Cobra trademark it might as well be just another generic highrise intake from the period. Yes the way to tell a R model intake is the lack of PCV ports typically but those all had the Cobra trademark.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dan Case

It looks like the same casting patterns used to make the first known 'high riser' COBRA lettered were used to make the one in question. I have a new old stock COBRA one a new 1964 Cobra buyer ordered for his Cobra and never got around to having installed. We believe they were created with Cobra racing in mind. No part number, no firing order, thin wall light weight design, and most significantly street car wise no provision of any kind for a port for a PCV circuit.

New street Cobras with any version of stock HP289 engine March 1963 onward included PCV system as provided by Ford.  Off road race engines didn't require a PCV system.

The intake in the original post is not machined exactly like the COBRA lettered ones I have examined.

We could speculate endlessly on how this one in question came about but without COBRA lettering it is, as mentioned before, just a period accessory.  (COBRA lettered ones are rare and very rarely come up for sale. They are usually hard to sell because they weren't documented as factory installed STREET Cobra parts.)
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

gt350hr

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 10, 2020, 03:55:32 AM

Without the Cobra trademark it is just another generic highrise intake from the period. Yes the way to tell a R model intake is the lack of PCV ports typically but those all had the Cobra trademark.

Bob ,
        "I" believe this is a very early ( possible prototype ) intake , made before the Cobra name was applied. The manifold was designed by Ford engineers for SAI. The flange area of the casting is consistent with the design of a cast iron Ford intake. NO other aftermarket manifold had those features. The lack of PCV provision clearly indicates it is early. "In the day" there were two aftermarket dual plane 289 intakes , the Edelbrock F4B which featured "oval" openings under the carb , and the Weiand "Colt 45" which had different runner configuration ( the opposite of the SAI and Eddy versions) but it did have 4 round holes under the carb. Offenhauser did not market a dual plane for the 289 "in the day". These facts are the basis for my opinion.
       Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

pbf777

Quote from: gt350hr on March 10, 2020, 11:33:51 AM
         the Edelbrock F4B which featured "oval" openings under the carb ,
       Randy

Randy, you forgot that the early F4B's did have the four hole presentation, but was changed later to the oval; which I assume was a cost of production consideration.        :)

Scott.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 10, 2020, 03:55:32 AM

Without the Cobra trademark it is just another generic highrise intake from the period. Yes the way to tell a R model intake is the lack of PCV ports typically but those all had the Cobra trademark.

Bob ,
        "I" believe this is a very early ( possible prototype ) intake , made before the Cobra name was applied. The manifold was designed by Ford engineers for SAI. The flange area of the casting is consistent with the design of a cast iron Ford intake. NO other aftermarket manifold had those features. The lack of PCV provision clearly indicates it is early. "In the day" there were two aftermarket dual plane 289 intakes , the Edelbrock F4B which featured "oval" openings under the carb , and the Weiand "Colt 45" which had different runner configuration ( the opposite of the SAI and Eddy versions) but it did have 4 round holes under the carb. Offenhauser did not market a dual plane for the 289 "in the day". These facts are the basis for my opinion.
       Randy
Randy, you may be right about the heritage because that would explain the similarity to the early Cobr intake. The point I was making is that although it may represent some interesting development early on it is not relevant to the vast majority of applications and consequently at the end of the day about as important value wise as other generic highrise intakes of the time period. Just my opinion others are welcome to theirs. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

Agreed . I wasn't suggesting some exaggerated value by any means. My comment was related to it's origin being Ford , not an aftermarket manufacturer. Similar to a Faria tach , the value is there when the Cobra name is there .
   Randy

gt350hr

Quote from: pbf777 on March 10, 2020, 11:57:51 AM
         the Edelbrock F4B which featured "oval" openings under the carb ,
       Randy

Randy, you forgot that the early F4B's did have the four hole presentation, but was changed later to the oval; which I assume was a cost of production consideration.        :)

Scott.

Yes i remember Scott. The F4B had more than a couple of running changes during it's production. I was trying to keep the thread from being an F4B thread.
       Randy