Author Topic: #0544 The Supersnake GT500  (Read 9873 times)

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
#0544 The Supersnake GT500
« on: March 04, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »
There are only a few early photos of the Super Snake with its Magstar wheels and small letter Goodyears. This is how it is noted as built from the factory.
Here it is parked in front of Mel Burns Ford with Don McCain. What a cool Shelby!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:40:37 PM by Richstang »
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

• View Profile
Re: #0544 The Supersnake GT500
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 05:39:30 PM »
I'm always searching for others photos of it in this tire configuration.
This front 3/4 view is a cropped version of a larger photo that I'm still looking for.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 12:23:43 AM »
Such an amazing car - I’ve had such a fondness for it over the years.

Thanks for posting the pics!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:59:29 AM »
Cool cool
427 madness
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 07:34:42 AM »
saaaweeet!
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 01:29:02 PM »
Does anyone have the August 1967 issue of Drag Strip magazine. It appears most of the above photo were from that issue. I'd like the see the engine photo to see what intake and air cleaner was on the car originally.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »
  IIRC Mag intake and "round" chrome open element like a GT350. I saw it a couple of times at the dealership. The headers ( more like extractors) were a work of art.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 02:38:32 PM »
Does anyone have the August 1967 issue of Drag Strip magazine. It appears most of the above photo were from that issue. I'd like the see the engine photo to see what intake and air cleaner was on the car originally.
The article shows a partial of a hipo air cleaner. Most likely with a Cobra sticker like GT350 as Randy remembers. That air cleaner was typical for single four 427/428 Cobra also. Being a lightweight engine the mag intake would not be out of the ordinary. I always love to look at the bundle of snakes style header arrangement which appears to be welded permanently into the car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 03:12:49 PM »
Thanks Randy...Thanks Bob

John's recent 1979 SAAC 4 photos sparked my interest. That was the first time I recall seeing it without the HiPo air cleaner. I imagine the rear hood pins were another custom touch. The headers are hidden from view in the engine bay photos. I need to see the car up close and personal to get a better appreciation for it. It must sound like a beast too.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 03:21:14 PM »

John's recent 1979 SAAC 4 photos sparked my interest. That was the first time I recall seeing it without the HiPo air cleaner. I imagine the rear hood pins were another custom touch. The headers are hidden from view in the engine bay photos. I need to see the car up close and personal to get a better appreciation for it. It must sound like a beast too.
The headers ae long gone. some hooker comp headers in their place if I identified them correctly. you had to cut the originals off if you wanted to remove the engine . That was OK for a magazine car I suspect but not good for a drag car where you may occasionally (or more ) have to remove the engine. Ed Meyer and I got a chance to get up close and personal when we took turns  driving it at Fontana on the outer parking lot road courtesy of our friend and then owner Charley Lillard. FYI Ed screams like a girl . ;D ;D ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 03:45:10 PM »
   The guy who built the headers at SAI for the SS was an Engilsh "chap" named Derrington. He also did the GT40 headers. As I recall the oil pan had a "bustle" ( enlarged sump) as they called it. The primary tubes were a slip fit into the collectors. Being standard steel tubing they were good for ten years tops before they rusted out because of the thin wall tubing used. Internal corrosion was the culprit not external rust.
    I still have a set of "his" Can Am 427 FE headers.
       Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 04:36:40 PM »

The headers ae long gone. some hooker comp headers in their place if I identified them correctly. you had to cut the originals off if you wanted to remove the engine . That was OK for a magazine car I suspect but not good for a drag car where you may occasionally (or more ) have to remove the engine. Ed Meyer and I got a chance to get up close and personal when we took turns  driving it at Fontana on the outer parking lot road courtesy of our friend and then owner Charley Lillard. FYI Ed screams like a girl . ;D ;D ;D
WAIT...Ed screams like a girl!      Oh your going to get an earful as soon as he reads this.

Charley has / had some really nice cars. Very cool he let you both drive it.
Those factory installed headers sound cool as hell, but a nightmare to deal with.

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »
   The guy who built the headers at SAI for the SS was an Engilsh "chap" named Derrington. He also did the GT40 headers. As I recall the oil pan had a "bustle" ( enlarged sump) as they called it. The primary tubes were a slip fit into the collectors. Being standard steel tubing they were good for ten years tops before they rusted out because of the thin wall tubing used. Internal corrosion was the culprit not external rust.
    I still have a set of "his" Can Am 427 FE headers.
       Randy

Randy,
You always amaze me with your details. I can't remember the names of some people I worked with 10-15 years ago, never mind 50 years back. I wasn't even born when this car built. Thanks as always for sharing.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »

WAIT...Ed screams like a girl!      Oh your going to get an earful as soon as he reads this.

Charley has / had some really nice cars. Very cool he let you both drive it.
Those factory installed headers sound cool as hell, but a nightmare to deal with.
Ed typically doesn't miss a chance to give me a earful good, bad or indifferent  ;)  so I want to make it count . We will see if he is paying attention.   ;D