News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

#0544 The Supersnake GT500

Started by Richstang, March 04, 2018, 05:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350hr

Quote from: Richstang on March 05, 2018, 04:45:06 PM
Quote from: gt350hr on March 05, 2018, 03:45:10 PM
   The guy who built the headers at SAI for the SS was an Engilsh "chap" named Derrington. He also did the GT40 headers. As I recall the oil pan had a "bustle" ( enlarged sump) as they called it. The primary tubes were a slip fit into the collectors. Being standard steel tubing they were good for ten years tops before they rusted out because of the thin wall tubing used. Internal corrosion was the culprit not external rust.
    I still have a set of "his" Can Am 427 FE headers.
       Randy

Randy,
You always amaze me with your details. I can't remember the names of some people I worked with 10-15 years ago, never mind 50 years back. I wasn't even born when this car built. Thanks as always for sharing.
Thanks Rich,
            It's almost like I am part autistic at times. I have SO many stupid details , events, "mind photos" of parts , cars , and other stuff , it's a wonder I can function at all. I ran into a guy I met at an SOA convention 44 years ago , last December . I described in detail a point where we were stopped by the police for doing a burnout on the city street. I named everyone in the car and where they were sitting plus other details. He was amazed. Now what was your name again? LMAO
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

roddster

Seems to me, the grill has been chromed around the outboard headlights.  Not shown in the photos is the dual oil filters remotely mounted near the washer bag.

Chad

Hey was it Mel Burns Ford that had the neon GT350 sign?  Does anyone have a picture of the sign?
Thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on March 06, 2018, 03:52:39 PM
  Seems to me, the grill has been chromed around the outboard headlights.  Not shown in the photos is the dual oil filters remotely mounted near the washer bag.
The chromed outboard grill has been one of the distinguishing details about the car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

YES i was screaming at mr gaines (WHY DIDNT YOU BUY THIS SHELBY) as i went thru several gates on a large ranch SW of san antonio TX to david randol place to see this koolest shelby ever made & watched the wingfoot tire test video david had that the supersnake tested the tires on the oval track. I called mr 67 shelby guy & told him if he wants THE 67 shelby he needs to buy this car but he said 175 was TOO MUCH (REALLY) so i told some other ford guys & freddy i think told charley lillard (a chevy guy who listened)  & had the forsight to understand how historically important this unique shelby is ended up buying the supersnake. That was about 15 years ago & 5 years ago it sold for (HOW MUCH MR GAINES?) who should be screaming now?  I had my $ tied up at that time in the farm we bought where i used to manage & since sold but if i had bought that supersnake instead i would have been WAY BETTER OFF & i would have kept the supersnake just so i could blow the doors off a certain  green little 67 gt350 (who thinks is#1) & show him who is really # ONE!! ;D

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Special Ed on March 06, 2018, 07:52:16 PM
YES i was screaming at mr gaines (WHY DIDNT YOU BUY THIS SHELBY) as i went thru several gates on a large ranch SW of san antonio TX to david randol place to see this koolest shelby ever made & watched the wingfoot tire test video david had that the supersnake tested the tires on the oval track. I called mr 67 shelby guy & told him if he wants THE 67 shelby he needs to buy this car but he said 175 was TOO MUCH (REALLY) so i told some other ford guys & freddy i think told charley lillard (a chevy guy who listened)  & had the forsight to understand how historically important this unique shelby is ended up buying the supersnake. That was about 15 years ago & 5 years ago it sold for (HOW MUCH MR GAINES?) who should be screaming now?  I had my $ tied up at that time in the farm we bought where i used to manage & since sold but if i had bought that supersnake instead i would have been WAY BETTER OFF & i would have kept the supersnake just so i could blow the doors off a certain  green little 67 gt350 (who thinks is#1) & show him who is really # ONE!! ;D
I feel sick. :(   FYI it was 195 k but doesn't matter much at this point. :'(   Shoulda , Woulda , Coulda.  :o  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 06, 2018, 05:07:40 PM
Quote from: roddster on March 06, 2018, 03:52:39 PM
The chromed outboard grill has been one of the distinguishing details about the car.

I always assumed those were custom made panels fitted over the outer lights.

Where have you seen the dual oil filters? Even the vintage photos I've seen only shows one filter in place of the washer bag.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 06, 2018, 09:02:54 PM
Quote from: Special Ed on March 06, 2018, 07:52:16 PM
I feel sick. :(   FYI it was 195 k but doesn't matter much at this point. :'(   Shoulda , Woulda , Coulda.  :o  ;D

I recall seeing the episode of "My Classic Car" with Dennis Gauge when it was owned by David L. I still have the VHS tape, but no player to watch it.

The video footage of the Goodyear tire test is out there. I'll try to find it and post it here in this thread. (Unless someone beats me to it.)

I'd be kicking myself too if I could have afforded the car and missed the chance, but for that much coin I would have probably passed as well. 15 years ago what were GT500s going for, about $100-$125. At $195 back then I'd would have had to sell the house and live with the car in a garage.

roddster

Richstang:  at the NMCN show in Rosemont a few years back.  I think I took photos. I try and post them in a few days.

PS: there is a car magazine featuring (from back in the 80's) the SS back when the guy in Texas owned it.  They flipped the negative so the engine photo is all, like, Australian.

Richstang

Here's the Goodyear test video...     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvjhaDmaM1A

and a video marketing it for the upcoming Mecum auction.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWjWGvxXHM0

Thanks for looking for those photos roddster.
I have several engine shot from recent times, but they all show the single oil filter.

roddster

The NMCN show photo is blury, and shot too low.
  However, I saved the Ebay listing when the owner in Texas listed it.  That photo is the size of a postage stamp, and not showung it.  BUT, I noted on the listing that it had remote dual oil filters as that is a detail not to be missed when I build a 1/25th scale model of it.

BGlover67

Quote from: Richstang on March 07, 2018, 10:38:16 AM
Here's the Goodyear test video...     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvjhaDmaM1A

and a video marketing it for the upcoming Mecum auction.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWjWGvxXHM0

Thanks for looking for those photos roddster.
I have several engine shot from recent times, but they all show the single oil filter.

Too bad it doesn't still have the 4 hood pin set up instead of the hinged hood.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

JD

... one side of the Thunder Bolt tire handout.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on March 08, 2018, 10:47:46 AM
  The NMCN show photo is blury, and shot too low.
  However, I saved the Ebay listing when the owner in Texas listed it.  That photo is the size of a postage stamp, and not showung it.  BUT, I noted on the listing that it had remote dual oil filters as that is a detail not to be missed when I build a 1/25th scale model of it.
If you saw "duel" remote oil filters on the car then they were added at a later date by a PO. I am not sure when that would have been done because back in the 80's when the car would frequently show up at the Tulsa show it had the single remote like what was used on the 427 SC cobra and also as is seen in the vintage Drag Race magazine August 1967 edition. If you like them then add them but I don't want you to have the impression that they were on the car originally.

Richstang

Thanks Bob,
I was really curious about the oil filter. I just received a copy of the engine photo from the 60's Drag Magazine showing the single filter in the wiper bag location.

Roddster,
Do you have any pictures of your model build up. I'd love to see what version you did with it. 10-spokes w whitewalls or the Magstar/lettered Goodyears.
I recently updated my build from 20 + years ago to the Magstar version and correct small letter Goodyears.